Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 05:23 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
Hmm... there is what looks like an oiling port on the BB shell, and the head badge does look like the rainbow-heron version. Interesting mystery as to whether this bike is early 60's or late?

Just saw the plastic oil port cover, later 60’s but a nice touch to bring it above their other brands. Love the blue colour.
Old 11-17-20, 04:54 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
^^^^^ I'm working on a Schwinn 3spd rehab. The SA IGH is and AW with a 61 engraved/stamped on the hub shell. It has a plastic oil port cover. Still pliable too. Long lasting.
Old 11-17-20, 06:37 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
^^^ Looks like the metal port was replaced when it got buggered. Best thing SA did for their hubs was bring the plastic port in, late 60’s I believe.
Old 11-17-20, 09:15 PM
jet sanchEz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 386 Posts
Originally Posted by ilikebikes

Flea market find. Cleaned it, added tires, bar wrap and fenders.
This looks fantastic!

What fenders are these?
Old 11-20-20, 07:58 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Not much of a bike but still worth saving low end Mongoose 29er from scrap metal bin. didn't do much on this one pumped up the tires washed it and got it working. This one has to be one of the worst designed mass produced bikes I have ever worked on. It's really basic low end cruiser at hart so basic hard frame with 7 speed thumbie and simple liner pull brakes. common 26 wheels and it would fine, yet they put crappy full suspension on it, silly disc brakes, went with 29 wheels and horrible Sram 8x3 speed triggers. Road it around the block decided it sucks but still a basic working bike so road it to the thrift store took just one pic at the thrift store left it hoping to forget I ever saw this bike soon.

Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-21-20, 01:55 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Not much of a bike but still worth saving low end Mongoose 29er from scrap metal bin... Road it around the block decided it sucks but still a basic working bike so road it to the thrift store took just one pic at the thrift store left it hoping to forget I ever saw this bike soon.
Nicely done brother. Someone will enjoy the freedom of rolling on some wheels. Cheers!

Old 11-21-20, 06:00 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Not much of a bike but still worth saving low end Mongoose 29er from scrap metal bin. didn't do much on this one pumped up the tires washed it and got it working. This one has to be one of the worst designed mass produced bikes I have ever worked on.
At our LBS we've seen many of these and their cousins this year. Dug out from who knows where, many in terrible condition. They have to be about the heaviest bikes we deal with. When they come in for service they're hung on hooks in the ceiling. We get them down, do what can be done and hang them back up. Pretty challenging for this old fart to hoist a BSO like that up off or back onto the hook. Seems to be the case for most of us in the shop. The depressed, pitiable groan that always comes out is now named "the Mongoose Moan". Everyone agrees.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 11-22-20, 11:46 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Not much of a bike but still worth saving low end Mongoose 29er from scrap metal bin. didn't do much on this one pumped up the tires washed it and got it working. This one has to be one of the worst designed mass produced bikes I have ever worked on. It's really basic low end cruiser at hart so basic hard frame with 7 speed thumbie and simple liner pull brakes. common 26 wheels and it would fine, yet they put crappy full suspension on it, silly disc brakes, went with 29 wheels and horrible Sram 8x3 speed triggers. Road it around the block decided it sucks but still a basic working bike so road it to the thrift store took just one pic at the thrift store left it hoping to forget I ever saw this bike soon.

I refurbed a pair of 26" MTB BSO's last year, both had "suspension". everything about those bikes screamed "crap!". And at present moment I have a quintet of 26" wheeled BSO's in the back yard which I'm utterly dreading to work on. Not a one of them is likely over fifteen years old, but from the way the hopelessly low quality parts and components on all of them have rusted you'd swear they must have been made in the 1970's and sat outdoors for two decades. Still would be a waste to not refurb and get them into the hands of new owners. Yes they look like crap, but rust and tire replacements aside there's no reason someone couldn't get some enjoyment out of riding them. I have to remind myself they're essentially children's/teenagers bikes and the next owners of them will grow out of them and move onto hopefully better bikes.
Old 11-23-20, 06:49 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
The guy at the dump had this waiting for me when I showed up yesterday.

Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-23-20, 12:41 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That seat terrifies me
Old 11-23-20, 02:45 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by WGB
That seat terrifies me
Me too. The wife saw that, and said that she'd like to try it, but I discouraged her. There's no real way to put those saddles actually between your legs, so not as much balance-control available. FWIW, my Missus has been experiencing really good luck with SQ Labs saddles.
Old 11-23-20, 05:38 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1532 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
That seat terrifies me
What? It's only a little melted.
Old 11-23-20, 08:29 PM
knittykitty

Bikes: Robin Hood Sports 3 Speed, 1982/83 Corsaro(?) Mixte, Raleigh Twenty Folder (project)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
KK,

Hope you can get some pics up here or on the 3 speed thread! These are wonderful machines to use. I have a late 70’s brown one and love it. Only mod is going with aluminium rims for braking.
Finally got it back out of the garage when it wasn't raining and took some pics. They're up over on the 3 Speed thread. Mine is pretty tragic looking currently, though it'll definitely improve once I bother to put any work into it. So that just makes... 4 bikes that I need to do a bunch of work on, but this one is the worst. And the lowest on the list probably.
Old 11-23-20, 09:01 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
The guy at the dump had this waiting for me when I showed up yesterday.

Pump up the tires ad just needed stuff likely nothing put a none suspension regular post on and basic seat the bike and you have a decent bike..
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 11-27-20, 07:54 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Why do you say that? It's a 25" frame, I'm a fairly normal 6' 1-1/2" and that's what I ride.
Hm... The head tube just looks massive imo.
Old 11-27-20, 08:01 PM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
The dumpster gods finally answered my prayers! I was walking to work and intercepted this 1992 (?) Giant Perigee from a construction worker who was throwing it into a scrap bin. Pretty excited for a new project!

Finally got around to fixing this up!

(Sorry for low-quality night-time pics.)

Took it out for a test ride tonight and it rides like a dream. Now just to trim trim the cables and send it off to its new home. Can't wait for the next one!
Likes For SeanBikes:
Old 11-28-20, 08:20 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
Hm... The head tube just looks massive imo.
Possibly, but I've never suffered from head tube envy.
Old 11-28-20, 03:45 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Saved from the dump. Has since been fully restored (save for the brake calipers and frame)

Old 11-28-20, 07:31 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
beat the scrappers/

after a full bearing r&r this Sears free spirit6 rides better than any Schwinn cruiser I have ridden.straight & smooooth.how about that string paint to boot
Old 12-02-20, 11:32 AM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
a pair of freebies

I picked up these two for free recently - most likely destined for the dump.

First is a late 70's French Liberia. The wheels and crankset are pretty roached but the frame is decent shape and kind of cool. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) it is in my size neighborhood so it will go into the long term queue for rehabilitation.

The other is this late 70's (?) Kent Diplomat - the Mrs. to the above Mr. apparently. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Given the lower end brand, small size and general lack of interest in ladies' road bikes of this era it probably is not worth rebuilding. I'll likely end up trying to salvage some parts from it.

Old 12-02-20, 03:09 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by HMJ
I picked up these two for free recently - most likely destined for the dump.

First is a late 70's French Liberia. The wheels and crankset are pretty roached but the frame is decent shape and kind of cool. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) it is in my size neighborhood so it will go into the long term queue for rehabilitation.

Liberia Grand Deluxe variant comparable to mine - if you trawl through this thread you'll find a wealth of links and sites about these. Not many Liberias made it to the U.S., and the bulk of the ones that did, like yours and mine, came over during the peak of the Great Bike Boom when distributors were finding every regional maker they could find to supply product. I suspect the rear wheel on yours is a replacement. The front looks like it might be the original R.F.G. front laced to a rusted-out Saminox steel rim. It's worth rehabbing, as it's on the thinner and lighter end of gaspipe. Mine takes a 25.8 mm seatpost in metric tubing, so a whisker over 1 mm thick tube walls. Not too bad.

Do rehab it - they are at the upper end of the spectrum that says, "The French have a way with gaspipe." Nicer than a Peugeot U-08 or comparable, ride wise.
Old 12-02-20, 05:28 PM
oldroads
OldBikeGuide.com

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
1956 Humber Sports.
Bifurcated forks.
Nice winter project.
The year I was born.

Old 12-02-20, 06:53 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Liberia Grand Deluxe variant comparable to mine - if you trawl through this thread you'll find a wealth of links and sites about these. Not many Liberias made it to the U.S., and the bulk of the ones that did, like yours and mine, came over during the peak of the Great Bike Boom when distributors were finding every regional maker they could find to supply product. I suspect the rear wheel on yours is a replacement. The front looks like it might be the original R.F.G. front laced to a rusted-out Saminox steel rim. It's worth rehabbing, as it's on the thinner and lighter end of gaspipe. Mine takes a 25.8 mm seatpost in metric tubing, so a whisker over 1 mm thick tube walls. Not too bad.

Do rehab it - they are at the upper end of the spectrum that says, "The French have a way with gaspipe." Nicer than a Peugeot U-08 or comparable, ride wise.
Thanks much for the comments and for the thread link! I actually did stumble upon your thread and followed some of the links within when I picked this bike up because admittedly I knew nothing about the Liberia brand so I appreciate your findings. With your feedback I am now looking forward even more to getting it road worthy again. When the time comes I just have to remember to meditate some before I attack the rusty cottered cranks
Old 12-04-20, 10:29 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Here is the Benotto that I had for a short while. I thought about resto but I came to my senses and sold off to one that did. Here is the before and afters.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 12-04-20, 11:51 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Here is the Benotto that I had for a short while. I thought about resto but I came to my senses and sold off to one that did. Here is the before and afters.

gorgeous!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.