Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dairyland Dare registration up

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 12:26 PM
ldmataya 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts

I didn't see a thread on this, so thought I would start it. August 7, 2021. https://dairylanddare.com/

For those of you familiar with the "decline" of the past couple of years, the Dare has new owners. They know what they are doing (Race Day Events) and hopefully my words here will survive untarnished. The posted routes look to be identical to 2 years ago with a Harris Park start. What is missing is 250k and 300k routes.
Old 11-25-20, 01:57 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
I’m already signed up, rolled over my registration for the canceled 2020 ride.
Am hopefully hoping that hopefully we will all hopefully be able to ride together by August.
Hopefully.

Meanwhile, if you use or have access to the TACX Training App, the Majorca Stage 2 ride is remarkably similar to riding in that part of Wisconsin.
Old 11-25-20, 02:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
I was all-in until I saw the lack of a 300K route.
How old are you kid??
Old 11-25-20, 08:40 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Me? A young 69.
Old 11-25-20, 10:24 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Can't learn to shut my mouth, I know you guys ride.
Hoping life opens up for everyone.
Old 11-27-20, 04:52 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Thinking Don Q Inn.
Rides on Fri/Sat/Sun
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-27-20, 08:56 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
77 posts on "Does politics, culture, or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?", (none of which I read because I thought they'd be, well, political), yet my on-topic, scientific, non-partisan explanation of why the brilliant achievement of a Covid vaccine may not, after all, allow large group events like the Dairyland Dare to proceed gets removed for "political content."

I guess all those 77 posts on the political thread must just consist of "No."

Stay well everyone. Those who aren't well, best wishes for recovery.
Old 11-27-20, 09:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
77 posts on "Does politics, culture, or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?", (none of which I read because I thought they'd be, well, political), yet my on-topic, scientific, non-partisan explanation of why the brilliant achievement of a Covid vaccine may not, after all, allow large group events like the Dairyland Dare to proceed gets removed for "political content."

Stay well everyone. Those who aren't well, best wishes for recovery.
Welcome to my world, Les.
The mods are arbitrary, shallow, not well read, narrow-minded and capricious.
Also sneaky. But it’s their forum. Animal Farm. 1984.
Old 11-27-20, 10:23 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,175 Times in 1,466 Posts
This is a forum about cycling. Political content isn’t allowed here, except in the Political and Religion forum, because we learned a long time political issues quickly turns threads into political arguing. It’s actually simple. If you want to talk politics, take it to P&R. If you want to talk cycling, great. Just keep it on topic.
Old 11-27-20, 10:32 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
This is a forum about cycling. Political content isn’t allowed here, except in the Political and Religion forum, because we learned a long time political issues quickly turns threads into political arguing. It’s actually simple. If you want to talk politics, take it to P&R. If you want to talk cycling, great. Just keep it on topic.
Does that go for every thread in the forums? Just checking and confirming. There seems to be 1 or 2 in the Road forum that can discuss anything they want.
Old 11-27-20, 10:48 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Welcome to my world, Les.
The mods are arbitrary, shallow, not well read, narrow-minded and capricious.
Also sneaky. But it’s their forum. Animal Farm. 1984.
And as nice and you and I have been to each other, and as how much our team really likes you, this really disappoints me.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-28-20, 07:12 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Does that go for every thread in the forums? Just checking and confirming. There seems to be 1 or 2 in the Road forum that can discuss anything they want.
Please use the "Report" button for posts that appear to violate posting rules in some way.
The small, volunteer moderator team can't possibly read every post.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 11-30-20, 12:48 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
I just saw that the House on the Rock is open.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-30-20, 02:11 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Don Q Inn is right down the road from the House on the Rock, and 5 minutes from the Harris Pavilion.
Plus, you can play cricket if you're so inclined (and they let you).
Not sure if a C&V show is viable, either at the Pavilion or elsewhere....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-30-20, 04:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
77 posts on "Does politics, culture, or nationalism influence your vintage bike collection?", (none of which I read because I thought they'd be, well, political),

I started that thread and was very happy everyone behaved themselves. If you see a political post there or anywhere else, you can always flag it if you think it breaks the forum rules.

Cheers, all.
Old 11-30-20, 07:27 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I started that thread and was very happy everyone behaved themselves. If you see a political post there or anywhere else, you can always flag it if you think it breaks the forum rules.

Cheers, all.
See, that’s what you enablers and collaborators always get wrong. Yes, the owner of the printing press gets to decide what gets printed with his private property, but no, democracy is not advanced by expanding the power to censor to everyone who reads it.

I would never dream of “Reporting” anyone’s post for censorship for any reason. The owner wants to censor, let him do his own police work. If I don’t like a post, I don’t have to read it.
Old 11-30-20, 07:32 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
See, that’s what you enablers and collaborators always get wrong. Yes, the owner of the printing press gets to decide what gets printed with his private property, but no, democracy is not advanced by expanding the power to censor to everyone who reads it. I would never dream of “Reporting” anyone’s post for censorship for any reason. The owner wants to censor, let him do his own police work. If I don’t like a post, I don’t have to read it.
I want to enable everyone to sign up for the 2021 Dairlyland Dare.

I would collaborate if I lived closer. Looks like a blast!

Old 11-30-20, 07:43 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I want to enable everyone to sign up for the 2021 Dairlyland Dare.

I would collaborate if I lived closer. Looks like a blast!

Me too. And it is a blast.
And if my post hadn’t been deleted, you would know why it probably won’t happen.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 11-30-20, 09:14 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Me too. And it is a blast.
And if my post hadn’t been deleted, you would know why it probably won’t happen.
I'd be more concerned that it will be craptacular like the HHH.
Old 12-01-20, 09:05 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
So, just to get back to the original topic, how many show up to the event and don’t actually ride the Dairyland Dare? I could see hooking up my camper and coming to the Dodgeville area just for the ambiance of a cycling event (and because a 300km event would be way too much for me)! To me, the COVID-19 situation would have be under much better control tho!
Old 12-01-20, 09:18 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
I rode it in 2015 and my wife tagged along. It's a beautiful area and Mineral Point if quite nice and my wife enjoyed walking around after the ride. The ride itself seemed pretty lowkey and the riders get spread out on the course.
Old 12-01-20, 11:02 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Originally Posted by sovende
So, just to get back to the original topic, how many show up to the event and don’t actually ride the Dairyland Dare? I could see hooking up my camper and coming to the Dodgeville area just for the ambiance of a cycling event (and because a 300km event would be way too much for me)! To me, the COVID-19 situation would have be under much better control tho!
There is no 300-km event. There is a selection of routes up to 200 km. Some are short.
Consider the impact on parking for participants that your truck and camper would have in a small town. The Dare's website instructs participants to park "legally" on residential side streets if parking at the start/finish is full. If I go, I'll be staying in a hotel and riding to the start, but folks driving in from somewhere will resent the negative ambiance of trawling the town at 0-dark-thirty looking for a place to park while the convenient spots in the park are filled with big rigs of people who aren't even riding.

I don't know how much ambience you'd find at the event if you were there just as a spectator and weren't riding or with someone who was. I think you'd mostly be ignored, or told to move your camper. The year I did it, most people just scarfed down their free food, loaded their bikes in their cars, and drove off with the people they drove in with, if any. Beyond whatever get-togethers were planned privately, there wasn't any festival or such the day before, other than doing ride paperwork and picking up your T-shirt and beer mug. And that worked fine for me. Start/finish was at Lands End -- they specifically prohibited people from parking campers there overnight because it would interfere with their night freight handling.

I trust you are not considering driving the route itself to mingle with the riders. Please don't.

As for controlling Covid, you can do your bit by getting vaccinated as soon as you are eligible, and urging everyone in Wisconsin to follow your lead. Even if all the folks at high risk of dying are vaccinated first, neither the State nor the promoter is likely to give the green light to large gatherings of out-of-staters unless substantial progress has been achieved toward herd immunity among Wisconsin residents. The State will feel an obligation to continue to use some degree of social distancing to protect the unvaccinated as long as disease transmission is occurring. So whatever they are doing now, they will still be doing it in August unless vaccine uptake for the whole state has reached 70%? -- my guess -- by then. Hopes and prayers alone won't do it.

And mods and snowflakes, this is not a political post. It's about bikes, (specifically the ability to ride in fondo events), it's about the topic of the thread, and it's about the science of public health and epidemic control. It's also about what individuals can do to help solve what is a collective-action problem. If the existence of the anti-vaxxers makes any discussion of vaccines inherently political, well, then we've lost the war anyway so why bother? Operation Warp Speed was a waste of time and money.
Old 12-01-20, 11:53 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
There is no 300-km event. There is a selection of routes up to 200 km. Some are short.
Consider the impact on parking for participants that your truck and camper would have in a small town. The Dare's website instructs participants to park "legally" on residential side streets if parking at the start/finish is full. If I go, I'll be staying in a hotel and riding to the start, but folks driving in from somewhere will resent the negative ambiance of trawling the town at 0-dark-thirty looking for a place to park while the convenient spots in the park are filled with big rigs of people who aren't even riding.

I don't know how much ambience you'd find at the event if you were there just as a spectator and weren't riding or with someone who was. I think you'd mostly be ignored, or told to move your camper. The year I did it, most people just scarfed down their free food, loaded their bikes in their cars, and drove off with the people they drove in with, if any. Beyond whatever get-togethers were planned privately, there wasn't any festival or such the day before, other than doing ride paperwork and picking up your T-shirt and beer mug. And that worked fine for me. Start/finish was at Lands End -- they specifically prohibited people from parking campers there overnight because it would interfere with their night freight handling.

I trust you are not considering driving the route itself to mingle with the riders. Please don't.

As for controlling Covid, you can do your bit by getting vaccinated as soon as you are eligible, and urging everyone in Wisconsin to follow your lead. Even if all the folks at high risk of dying are vaccinated first, neither the State nor the promoter is likely to give the green light to large gatherings of out-of-staters unless substantial progress has been achieved toward herd immunity among Wisconsin residents. The State will feel an obligation to continue to use some degree of social distancing to protect the unvaccinated as long as disease transmission is occurring. So whatever they are doing now, they will still be doing it in August unless vaccine uptake for the whole state has reached 70%? -- my guess -- by then. Hopes and prayers alone won't do it.

And mods and snowflakes, this is not a political post. It's about bikes, (specifically the ability to ride in fondo events), it's about the topic of the thread, and it's about the science of public health and epidemic control. It's also about what individuals can do to help solve what is a collective-action problem. If the existence of the anti-vaxxers makes any discussion of vaccines inherently political, well, then we've lost the war anyway so why bother? Operation Warp Speed was a waste of time and money.
Well, if I do come, I would definitely bring a bike to ride a shorter event! I have friends living near D'ville and could possibly impose on them to allow me to park my camper on their property. I would never consider doing the event in a vehicle. RE: COVID-19, probably won't be participating unless a proven safe vaccine has been released and I'm able to be vaccinated.
Old 12-01-20, 03:27 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

I did an organized century during COVID.

Step 1. 100% pre-registered and no refunds. A ride for grownups.

Step 2. Parking lot. Stayed with the car, mask on. The officials approached in a golf cart and checked you in at a safe distance, dropped your swag on the ground, and left.

Step 3. Roll out whenever, spaced at your own risk.

Step 4. Rest stops. Approach a table, stay behind a line. Look at the selection well back on another table, and don’t ask stupid questions, like “do you have...?” (“Do you SEE it?”). Step back, a gloved volunteer put it on the table and stepped back. Period. For anything, for everything. No Grey Poupon.

Step 5. Finish.

Worked out well.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 12-01-20, 05:26 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
"officials in golf carts"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.