Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Asian Serial Number Guide

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Asian Serial Number Guide

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 08:26 PM
DYREWILLOW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi everyone! New here and wanted to ask what if the serial number on a frame doesn't match the current format? Would anyone have knowledge on this to help identify the frame I have.

The serial number is WAK22140T (located underside of the crank).

Other clues:
  1. "Made in Japan" sticker on seat tube;
  2. "SunTour" and "SUPERBE" on rear derailleurs.

*Too new a member to post pictures right now but happy to provide more information if I'm directed where to get it. Thanks for your help in advanced!!
Old 11-17-20, 07:36 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by DYREWILLOW
Hi everyone! New here and wanted to ask what if the serial number on a frame doesn't match the current format? Would anyone have knowledge on this to help identify the frame I have.

The serial number is WAK22140T (located underside of the crank).

Other clues:
  1. "Made in Japan" sticker on seat tube;
  2. "SunTour" and "SUPERBE" on rear derailleurs.

*Too new a member to post pictures right now but happy to provide more information if I'm directed where to get it. Thanks for your help in advanced!!

The WAK-prefix indicates a bicycle imported in Denmark by Age Kroll, while the T-suffix, in conjunction with Superbe, would indicate 1980. Age Kroll was the Danish importer for Centurion, so that should be the brand. Assuming the Superbe is OEM, my leading candidate would be a Centurion Professional. Photographs?
Old 11-17-20, 07:44 AM
DYREWILLOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The WAK-prefix indicates a bicycle imported in Denmark by Age Kroll, while the T-suffix, in conjunction with Superbe, would indicate 1980. Age Kroll was the Danish importer for Centurion, so that should be the brand. Assuming the Superbe is OEM, my leading candidate would be a Centurion Professional. Photographs?
Hi T-Mar! Thank you so much for replying and the education. How did you determine that information from the prefix and suffix? Also what does OEM mean? I’ll need another 8 more posts before I can share pictures being a new member. But I definitely will try to get there
Old 11-17-20, 08:15 AM
DYREWILLOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Again thanks so much Mr T-Mar! I’ve read a few of your articles and really amazing you’re able to compile that wealth of knowledge.

I think my question can be worded better. As in what indicators in the 4 alphas (and or numbers) helped you determine the make and model?
Old 11-19-20, 06:26 AM
DYREWILLOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi T-Mar, managed to get past 10 posts, attaching some photos! Do the photos help support your leading candidate?

Crank

Head tube

Head tube 2

Full

Seat stay

Seat post

Serial number

Rear derailleur

Rear derailleur 2

Last edited by DYREWILLOW; 11-19-20 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-20-20, 10:52 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by DYREWILLOW
Hi T-Mar, managed to get past 10 posts, attaching some photos! Do the photos help support your leading candidate?
The frame features definitely fit the 1980 era but my impression of the frame workmanship is not so favourable. The tangs on the rear brake would normally be indicative of a high end model, the chrome stay caps are a nice touch and the tubeset looks lightweight. However, the stay end treatments and BB shell are not what I would expect on a higher end model. In fact I'd say the stay end treatments are disappointing even for mid-range, though I doubt it's lower than that.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 11-21-20, 01:19 AM
DYREWILLOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi T-Mar, your assessment is definitely spot on! Tube set is very very light. To the untrained eye I see what you mean about the tangs and workman ship.

Thank you so much for helping me identify it! The knowledge you’ve been able to compile on Centurion serial numbers is fully appreciated!!
Old 11-28-20, 05:20 PM
frozenscissor

Bikes: still unknown

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone guess which manufactures use “CS” as the first 2 letters serial number?
Old 12-12-20, 11:37 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
According to the OP, my Maruishi serial number should start with a letter (although I see this is somewhat uncertain)... but it is all numbers. It is an early-80s bike, based on what the person I bought it from told me. Any ideas?

(I've found two other references on the forum thus far to Maruishi bikes with a 6-number serial instead of two-letter-five-number, but not much info. One of those posts has a reply saying it should have letters but no reply after that from the person who posted the number; the other has the serial mentioned in the OP but no one comments on it.)
Old 12-13-20, 02:52 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Kat12
According to the OP, my Maruishi serial number should start with a letter (although I see this is somewhat uncertain)... but it is all numbers. It is an early-80s bike, based on what the person I bought it from told me. Any ideas?

(I've found two other references on the forum thus far to Maruishi bikes with a 6-number serial instead of two-letter-five-number, but not much info. One of those posts has a reply saying it should have letters but no reply after that from the person who posted the number; the other has the serial mentioned in the OP but no one comments on it.)
1980s Marushi built frames typically have a serial number with a prefix consisting of two alpha characters. There's always a possibility that it was contract manufactured by somebody else, especially if it is an entry level model. A good set of photographs may help.
Old 12-13-20, 09:06 PM
Kat12

1980s Marushi built frames typically have a serial number with a prefix consisting of two alpha characters. There's always a possibility that it was contract manufactured by somebody else, especially if it is an entry level model. A good set of photographs may help.
There's a pic or two in my album.

It's a women's-frame Eagle Ace... I can't find much or anything about that model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was lower-level.
Old 12-14-20, 06:18 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Kat12
There's a pic or two in my album.

It's a women's-frame Eagle Ace... I can't find much or anything about that model, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was lower-level.

Its entry level, near or at the bottom of the line, based on the stamped dropouts, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, nutted hubs and the several components. It's also appears to be no earlier than 1980s based on the aero crankarms and is probably early 1980s but the non-drive side photos complicate narrowing down the date range.

I don't believe this to be an actual Maruishi but a Maruishi owned Eagle Ace brand. Even on the ladies' models, the Maruishi brand name was placed on the down tube, whereas this one has Eagle Ace in that location. This is further supported by the large Eagle and 'E' on the head badge, which I haven't seen on any actual Maruishi brand bicycles.

There is a label at the bottom of the seat tube, which may indicate the country of origin. If it's other than Japan, that would confirm a contract manufactured bicycle.
Old 12-15-20, 06:58 PM
Kat12

Its entry level, near or at the bottom of the line, based on the stamped dropouts, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, nutted hubs and the several components. It's also appears to be no earlier than 1980s based on the aero crankarms and is probably early 1980s but the non-drive side photos complicate narrowing down the date range.

I don't believe this to be an actual Maruishi but a Maruishi owned Eagle Ace brand. Even on the ladies' models, the Maruishi brand name was placed on the down tube, whereas this one has Eagle Ace in that location. This is further supported by the large Eagle and 'E' on the head badge, which I haven't seen on any actual Maruishi brand bicycles.

There is a label at the bottom of the seat tube, which may indicate the country of origin. If it's other than Japan, that would confirm a contract manufactured bicycle.
I know it's early 80s for sure, because the guy I bought it from bought it new in the early 80s (it was his daughter's bike). And yes, it does say made in Japan (the sticker is right next to the serial number).

I had wondered about the logo as well, considering that everything I read about Maruishi talks about kangaroos and this has nary a marsupial anywhere. (That is the only place it says "Maruishi," as well.) Unfortunately, Google nets absolutely nothing, so I'm unlikely to ever know much.
Old 12-17-20, 05:54 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
It's is a Ross but no model name on the bike.
Serial # RKG6F52162. Has a made in Taiwan sticker.
Shimano date codes are KB,KC,KD. BB spindle is 86C.
Brake Levers Shimano BR-AT50
Shifters Shimano SL-MT30
Seatpost 26.6 Chrome pin style
Crank Set Sugino VP 170 mm 48-38-28
Pedals VP-747
Front Derailleur Shimano FD-Z204
Rear Derailleur Shimano RD-L522
Freewheel Shimano MF-Z012 14-17-21-26-32

TIA

Old 12-18-20, 06:48 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by eom
It's is a Ross but no model name on the bike...
1986 Ross Mt. St. Helens
Old 12-18-20, 09:22 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
1986 Ross Mt. St. Helens
Any idea of who the builder was?

Thanks

Old 12-18-20, 01:03 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by eom
Any idea of who the builder was?

Thanks

Umm, yes and no. The Taiwanese Ross bicycles are an interesting story. According to an article in a industry trade magazine, Ross didn't have the bicycles contract manufactured in the traditional manner. Rather, according to article, they leased a Taiwanese factory. Unfortunately, it doesn't mention the factory by name and to what extent Ross personnel were involved at the factory. However, Ross set up a new entity, Ross Imports Division, which included the leased factory operations, so technically they were manufactured by Ross. It would also explain why the serial number format appears to be Ross specific with the 'R' prefix.
Old 12-27-20, 06:09 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
Unable to figure this out so need some help. SR Semi Pro I was told 1982 by the seller... MOD20122

Old 12-28-20, 07:28 AM
drin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, can you help me id this frame? SN: SFL002715. There is a weird character before the SN. Looks like a small letter i or L.

Pic: bikeforums.net/g/picture/20132556

Last edited by drin; 12-28-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-10-21, 09:00 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by LibertyFLS
Unable to figure this out so need some help. SR Semi Pro I was told 1982 by the seller... MOD20122

The 2nd character is almost certainly the number "zero", as opposed to the letter "oh". That would make it a 1980 model. The format is consistent is Miki, a known contractor for SR brand bicycles.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-10-21, 09:09 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by drin
Hi, can you help me id this frame? SN: SFL002715. There is a weird character before the SN. Looks like a small letter i or L.

Pic: bikeforums.net/g/picture/20132556
Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I don't recognize the serial number format. It appears to be an aluminum, TIG welded frame but that's about all I can say from the single picture provided. If you can provide pictures of the overall bicycle along with some picture of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes), we may at least be able to narrow down the age, even if we can't identify the manufacturer or brand.
Old 01-10-21, 08:55 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
The 2nd character is almost certainly the number "zero", as opposed to the letter "oh". That would make it a 1980 model. The format is consistent is Miki, a known contractor for SR brand bicycles.

thank you T-Mar! There is another one in the same color locally that’s on OfferUp and says it’s an 82 but the frame has a shorter wheelbase and adjuster screws on the rear dropouts. It’s not nearly as clean with quite a bit of patina, but has the complete arabesque group and I have thought about getting it and selling this one. Although this one looks like a 1 year old bike, not flawless but really nice.
Old 01-14-21, 10:50 PM
Fujifool

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Let me be first to welcome you back T-Mar. You have been missed by everyone in C&V.

Happy Holidays too!

PS: If Star Wars can make a huge return, why not T-Mar, all in the same month!
Old 01-15-21, 03:36 PM
drin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Sorry, I don't recognize the serial number format. It appears to be an aluminum, TIG welded frame but that's about all I can say from the single picture provided. If you can provide pictures of the overall bicycle along with some picture of the major components (derailleurs, crankset, brakes), we may at least be able to narrow down the age, even if we can't identify the manufacturer or brand.
T-Mar turned out to be a 2000 Scott USA
Old 01-17-21, 12:20 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
^ I knew that guy wasn't human!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.