Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Left Foot or Right Foot?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Left Foot or Right Foot?
Left Foot
55.56%
Right Foot
38.89%
Track Stand
5.56%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Left Foot or Right Foot?

Old 12-25-20, 11:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
On my bike I put my right foot down for a couple of reasons, I lead off with a power stroke from my left foot because if you were in band or the military, you lead off with your left foot. Then too if your right foot is down, you naturally lean your bike to the right out of traffic. It also makes easier to look back for traffic when you are ready to mount up again.
Old 12-25-20, 12:06 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
what's this safety thing some people are mentioning? Are people really putting the right foot down for safety?
If you do a bodge job of unclipping (or getting your foot out of toe clips or put your foot down wrong or etc.), you generally fall away from traffic if you put your right foot down.

That, of course, assumes right side of the road driving.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-25-20, 12:06 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Right because if I’m going to fall over at a stop, I’m going to fall away from traffic. I haven’t fallen over at a stopsign in 25 years, however.
But, if you're right foot down, you're generally going to fall on the side that you're still clipped into. Which would be the left into traffic.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 12-25-20, 12:13 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by one4smoke
But, if you're right foot down, you're generally going to fall on the side that you're still clipped into. Which would be the left.
Not in my experience. Think about how you prepare for a stop. You tend to lean towards the side that you are trying to remove from the pedal. If you put the right foot down, you are trying to lean to the right as you unclip and fall in that direction and, thus, into traffic. If you put left foot down, the same applies and you fall in that direction and away from traffic.

Mountain biking has taught me to remove either foot, depending on the trail, and if I fall over there...which is far more common than on the road...I fall to the side I’m trying to unclip. That comes in handy because the reason I’m trying to unclip is usually to avoid falling off the trail.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-25-20, 12:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
what's this safety thing some people are mentioning? Are people really putting the right foot down for safety?
I don't do it for safety... I had a preference for putting my right foot down ever since I started cycling, it's just a habit which feels natural and most comfortable to me. Occasionally I will put my left foot down but 99% of a time it's my right foot.
Old 12-25-20, 12:19 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Arguing and debating about such a trivial irrelevant thing is a great way to end an old year...Seriously it doesn't matter, there is no right or wrong here.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-25-20, 12:21 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Which foot down at a stop sign or light?
Track stand for stop signs, left foot for all but the shortest lights.

I have no idea whether that comes from motorcycles where I keep my right foot on the rear brake or my left foot being dominant because I snowboard regular not goofy footed.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 12-25-20, 12:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Not in my experience. Think about how you prepare for a stop. You tend to lean towards the side that you are trying to remove from the pedal. If you put the right foot down, you are trying to lean to the right as you unclip and fall in that direction and, thus, into traffic. If you put left foot down, the same applies and you fall in that direction and away from traffic.

Mountain biking has taught me to remove either foot, depending on the trail, and if I fall over there...which is far more common than on the road...I fall to the side I’m trying to unclip. That comes in handy because the reason I’m trying to unclip is usually to avoid falling off the trail.
I've seen the rookie falls from failing to unclip, did it myself once. You're suggesting these falls occur with both feet still clipped in. Not that I've seen or experienced, typically the fall is because the wrong foot was unclipped for the direction they leaned (and then fell).
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-25-20, 12:25 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Don't plan routes with stoplights, but if you must, never put a foot down. Track stands are de rigueur.

If you have to unclip for some other actual legitimate reason, then left. Getting grease on your leg because you can't clip in or out appropriately and/or clean your chain once in a while is truly shameful.
Old 12-25-20, 12:25 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Right. Just because that seems to be the foot I unclip from first.
Old 12-25-20, 12:37 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but why would you fall on the side you're unclipped on (unless there's oil, ice or something) ? With clipless pedals, most riders fall simply because they didn't get unclipped in time, or If unclipped on a certain side, they'll inadvertently lean to the other side, which is still clipped.
Old 12-25-20, 12:44 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I don't do it for safety... I had a preference for putting my right foot down ever since I started cycling, it's just a habit which feels natural and most comfortable to me. Occasionally I will put my left foot down but 99% of a time it's my right foot.
I’ve always done it as well but when I started using toe clips and clipless, I started thinking about why I did it. My wife who is only 5’ tall and rode bikes that were 7” or more too tall (23” frame instead of a 16”), puts her left foot done because she couldn’t reach the ground if she put her foot down on the right (proper) side with those large bikes. She had to stand on tiptoe and slide her leg over the top tube doing a kind of split to get off a bike at a stop. She thought about it long before toe clips and clipless. When you are riding a bike that is 2 to 3” taller than you have legs for, every fraction of an inch counts.

Old 12-25-20, 12:52 PM
cyccommute 

I'm trying to understand what you're saying, but why would you fall on the side you're unclipped on (unless there's oil, ice or something) ? With clipless pedals, most riders fall simply because they didn't get unclipped in time, or If unclipped on a certain side, they'll inadvertently lean to the other side, which is still clipped.
Why would you fall to the side you are clipped into? Yes, I’ve seen people throw out the leg that is unclipped but that is rare. For the most part, the person is trying to unclip and lean to the side that they are unclipping to put their foot down. Think about how you stop. When you come to a stop do you lean away from the side you are going to be putting your foot down for? If you lean away from that foot, when you put the foot down, it will be too far under the bike and you would likely topple over when you eventually get your foot down. The whole idea is to make a stable tripod with your foot and the two wheels of the bike.

Old 12-25-20, 01:03 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Right, because that is the correct foot for roads where cars drive on the right.

It took just 4 posts before a road safety nanny showed up. Quite within BF record. Usually one pipes up before post 5 and so it does here.

Touche, or slam dunk

Left foot down since I am right handed person. Right foot only if there is a handy curb.
Old 12-25-20, 01:04 PM
one4smoke

Why would you fall to the side you are clipped into? Yes, I’ve seen people throw out the leg that is unclipped but that is rare. For the most part, the person is trying to unclip and lean to the side that they are unclipping to put their foot down. Think about how you stop. When you come to a stop do you lean away from the side you are going to be putting your foot down for? If you lean away from that foot, when you put the foot down, it will be too far under the bike and you would likely topple over when you eventually get your foot down. The whole idea is to make a stable tripod with your foot and the two wheels of the bike.
I have never fell on the side I was unclipped on. Why would I? Unless, like I said ...there's oil, ice or something slippery that I put my foot down on. Which has happened only once. But, I have almost fell several times on the side the foot was still clipped on. Those were due to coming to a normal stop, left foot down, leaning to the left, then having to abruptly turn the bars causing me to shift my balance to the right. THAT has been the close call several times.
Old 12-25-20, 01:18 PM
cyccommute 

I have never fell on the side I was unclipped on. Why would I? Unless, like I said ...there's oil, ice or something slippery that I put my foot down on. Which has happened only once. But, I have almost fell several times on the side the foot was still clipped on. Those were due to coming to a normal stop, left foot down, leaning to the left, then having to abruptly turn the bars causing me to shift my balance to the right. THAT has been the close call several times.
I’m just not seeing your logic. I’ve never fallen to the clipped side. If I’m trying to unclip and can’t, the bike is starting to lean to that side in preparation for a stop. If I try to unclip in an emergency situation on a trail and can’t, I fall to the side that I was trying to for the same reason. I’m going to put that foot down and am leaning that direction.

Old 12-25-20, 01:21 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
Left or track stand.....although track stands tend to confuse drivers at all-way stop sign intersections.
I do a so-so track stand, but find it confuses the heck out of drivers too. Otherwise right foot.
Old 12-25-20, 01:21 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I alternate, I like symmetry and fairness. I also have SRAM Force eTap AXS and like that I use both hands equally to shift.
Old 12-25-20, 01:22 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Track stand for stop signs, left foot for all but the shortest lights.

I have no idea whether that comes from motorcycles where I keep my right foot on the rear brake or my left foot being dominant because I snowboard regular not goofy footed.
I rarely use the rear brake on the moto, but I usually always shift into neutral at stop lights. Generally right foot down on moto, left foot on bicycle I guess.
Old 12-25-20, 01:43 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Left, but sometimes track stands.
Old 12-25-20, 02:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Left. Avoid the rookie mark on your right calf.
Have always considered that to be a (temporary) badge of honor.
Old 12-25-20, 02:19 PM
one4smoke

I’m just not seeing your logic. I’ve never fallen to the clipped side. If I’m trying to unclip and can’t, the bike is starting to lean to that side in preparation for a stop. If I try to unclip in an emergency situation on a trail and can’t, I fall to the side that I was trying to for the same reason. I’m going to put that foot down and am leaning that direction.
Yeah, and I'm not seeing yours. Miles apart for some reason. Why would you fall on the side you're unclipped on? You have that foot out ready to provide stability, so why would you fall to that side?
Old 12-25-20, 02:24 PM
one4smoke

Because you're still clipped in and can't provide stability with that foot. What am I missing here?

Is our definition of clipped in (shoe attached to pedal) and unclipped (shoe detached from pedal) different??

Last edited by one4smoke; 12-25-20 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-25-20, 02:25 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
What would Chuck Norris do?
Old 12-25-20, 02:27 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Had to think about it for a while. I never put my feet down on recreational rides. No stop lights and you can roll all the stop signs. And I haven't ridden in the city since I started working from home.

But I generally put my left foot down so I'm starting to pedal with the right leg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.