Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Orthodoxy Part 1

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Orthodoxy Part 1

Old 01-05-21, 07:47 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Hmm, here’s a BF post that tips over the proverbial apple cart:

https://www.bikeforums.net/21205571-post30.html

That BFer reports picking up an H. Tano-built frame directly from H. Tano in Kobe!

And then there’s this H. Tano brochure on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ORI....m46890.l49292

Hmm.

Last edited by nlerner; 01-05-21 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-05-21, 08:00 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
cheers.
Thanks hummer.
+1

Old 01-05-21, 08:02 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
The serious posts in this thread read like the parts of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that I skipped.

Most of the rest remind me of Monty Python sketches.
You would do well to read the whole thing. It took me 30 years, but I'm glad I stuck it out.

Old 01-05-21, 08:13 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4669 Post(s)
Liked 5,768 Times in 2,272 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
You would do well to read the whole thing. It took me 30 years, but I'm glad I stuck it out.
(I actually have. Twice. Lila too.)

But there's no humor in that, and this orthodoxy thread definitely reminded me of Zen themes.
Old 01-05-21, 08:38 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
This thread is where fun goes to die. I'm out of here--anyone can have my place.
I was scheduled to have a cavity in an upper left molar filled back in April. The pandemic put the kibosh on that. My dentist still isn't accepting new appointments. Now the tooth hurts when I bite on it in a certain way. I know I shouldn't, but I bite on it experimentally several times a day, just to see how it's doing.

God help me, I've been doing the same thing with this thread, despite my best efforts not to.

But we're done now, right? Can we tow the hulk of this thread out to sea and sink it with naval gunfire?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 01-05-21, 11:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner

That BFer reports picking up an H. Tano-built frame directly from H. Tano in Kobe!

And then there’s this H. Tano brochure on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-ORI....m46890.l49292

Hmm.
^
In five paragraphs, one fellow Googling the forum and searching eBay manages to present more concrete fact to this thread than the OP has in an entire thesis.

The serial number on that frame would be very interesting to see, indeed.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-06-21, 05:31 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1448 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 957 Posts

Hmm.
Neal, I read your post late last night and headed to bed. Your information haunted my thoughts and kept me awake. Mostly it was the picture of brodycycle 's all white, nearly devoid of decals,Tano (Centurian?)!

What in your post plagued me and kept me from blissful slumber, you ask?

You brought this whole C&V Orthodoxy (theological, sic.) discussion back full circle to my post #12 back on page 1 of this mind numbing and often frustrating thread.

Orthodoxy in my line of work is determined by Creeds and what we Presbyterians call "Confessions of Faith" (not to be confused with "confession of sin" done in the presence of a priest).

One of the original Creeds, The Nicene, in part, was written to refute and make unorthodox, the Gnostic interpretation of Jesus. Gnosticism stated Jesus was never human flesh and blood. Instead, he was a spiritual (or ghostly) entity which only gave the illusion of being human. The Gnostic reasoning for their deduction was based on their flawed human logic that a perfect God would never be manifested in an imperfect human body (please excuse this oversimplification, but I want to keep this brief).

The early church leaders turned to the Gospels in the Bible to refute the Gnostic philosophy, wrote their Creed, thus removing Gnosticism from the orthodox church.

Is the picture of brodycycle's ghostly white, Tano made, Centurian replacement frameset, a Gnostic illusion? Is it possible that it only appears to be a Tano manufactered bicycle, and in reality, on some higher level of existence, it is something altogether different? Is there a Creed (i.e. an official Serial Number guide printed by the manufacturer) that we can consult? Please answer since I cannot endure another sleepless night!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-06-21, 05:34 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts

Hmm.
You've opened the proverbial Bento Box with this one.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-06-21, 07:23 AM
nlerner

Originally Posted by clubman
You've opened the proverbial Bento Box with this one.
Mmm, lunch.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-06-21, 10:10 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Well, I did learn that a beer can makes excellent shim material.
I learned from a mechanic that if the beer can shim is too thick you can hammer it to the needed thickness.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 01-06-21, 11:05 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I learned from a mechanic that if the beer can shim is too thick you can hammer it to the needed thickness.
Or just use aluminum foil in however many layers are necessary.
Old 01-06-21, 11:27 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Hammer the shim or the mechanic? Presumably the beer can had already been emptied.
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 01-06-21, 11:33 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by panzerwagon
Hammer the shim or the mechanic? Presumably the beer can had already been emptied.
Most likely a pile in the corner for future shim stock.
Old 01-06-21, 12:47 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts

Hmm.
Very good. You have done some actual research.

I have seen the pictures of this bicycle before.

Yes, the person that made the post said the bicycle is Tano.
I have seen nothing on the bicycle that indicates H. Tano and Company, but maybe I missed something.
How have you verified that the bicycle frame was manufactured by H. Tano and Company?
The bicycle may have been assembled by H. Tano and Company.
There are no pictures of the serial number which would be helpful with verification.
There are too many unanswered questions about this bicycle for it to be considered definitive proof of H. Tano and Company as a manufacturer.

I have not seen this brochure before. The seller is in Argentina.

South America is one place that I did not look for H. Tano and Company information, but I should have.

It would be nice to know what year the brochure is from.

Mr. Tatsuzo Ueda of Kansai University in Osaka Japan wrote a paper entitled "The Development of the bicycle industry in Japan After World War II", published in 1981. In this paper he shows that in 1957 the three geographic regions that received the most exports of Japanese bicycles and parts were: Southeast Asia, Africa, and Latin America. So, it is not surprising to see this brochure in Argentina. H. Tano and Company specialized in exporting bicycles and South America was a place that was accepting Japanese bicycles and parts.

However the brochure does not say who assembled or manufactured the bicycles.

C. Itoh and Company were also a Japanese trading company that exported bicycles. C. Itoh and Company exported many bicycles with their name on the marquee.

Did C. Itoh ever manufacture bicycle frames?

This H. Tano and Company brochure from Argentina is very interesting, but it is not proof that the Japanese exporter H. Tano and Company manufactured bicycles.

Last edited by Hummer; 01-06-21 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-21, 01:19 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
The H. Tano Co was a major exporter of bicycles, parts and accessories.
This is an advertisement for the H. Tano Co that appeared in the 1952 edition of the Japan Bicycle Guide on page 213. [Item# H.Tano Shokai]
https://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_r...00000000000418
There are too many unanswered questions about this bicycle for it to be considered definitive proof of H. Tano and Company as a manufacturer.
So why do you think they advertise themselves as "Exporters and Manufacturers of Bicycles, Parts and Accessories" in their actual advert from 1952?
Likes For panzerwagon:
Old 01-06-21, 01:27 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 187 Posts
Isn't there a little irony (in the colloquial mis-used sense of the word) that John Lydon (Johnny Rotten) said; "I've turned arrogance into an artform, where it's so absurd that it becomes comedy." (?)

Last edited by Bianchi84; 01-06-21 at 01:33 PM.
Likes For Bianchi84:
Old 01-06-21, 03:15 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

We're so glad you approve.

I have seen nothing on the bicycle that indicates H. Tano and Company, but maybe I missed something.
Perhaps this?

Originally Posted by brodycycle
I owned a H. Tano framed Centurion bike I bought in Colorado Springs in 1980. I had an accident that destroyed the frame. When cleaning out old owners manuals I found the Centurion manual and it listed H. Tano in Kobe Japan as the frame maker. Since I was in Korea at the time, I wrote to H. Tano at the address and they told me I could have the frame made to my specifications based on the Centurion Semi Pro. Long story short, I went to Kobe Japan and got the frame.
How have you verified that the bicycle frame was manufactured by H. Tano and Company? The bicycle may have been assembled by H. Tano and Company.
While one could argue there's a slight possibility that H. Tano was such a large exporter that they could do badge engineering on another supplier's frame, there's no way to prove this otherwise than to ask someone who worked at H. Tano for the answer. For this level of accuracy, marketing documents and/or owners manuals won't cut it, and government documents regarding equipment manufacturer will only go so far.

There are no pictures of the serial number which would be helpful with verification.
Ask the owner. If you're so big on research, how about doing a bit yourself?

I have not seen this brochure before. The seller is in Argentina.

South America is one place that I did not look for H. Tano and Company information, but I should have.
Any country where bicycles are extremely popular and not marketed as they are in consumer cultures like Europe or the US are good places to search. Information could come from anywhere. For that matter, there's nothing to conclusively prove that brochure was made for the Latin American market either.

This H. Tano and Company brochure from Argentina is very interesting, but it is not proof that the Japanese exporter H. Tano and Company manufactured bicycles.
*ahem*

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
So why do you think they advertise themselves as "Exporters and Manufacturers of Bicycles, Parts and Accessories" in their actual advert from 1952?
@panzerwagon is quoting your own post that quotes H. Tano's advertisement.

Have you read and understood your own research?
-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-06-21 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-06-21, 04:19 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
I was scheduled to have a cavity in an upper left molar filled back in April. The pandemic put the kibosh on that. My dentist still isn't accepting new appointments. Now the tooth hurts when I bite on it in a certain way. I know I shouldn't, but I bite on it experimentally several times a day, just to see how it's doing.

God help me, I've been doing the same thing with this thread, despite my best efforts not to.

But we're done now, right? Can we tow the hulk of this thread out to sea and sink it with naval gunfire?
Sinking a ship with gunfire is quite difficult, unless a shell finds its way to a magazine (as with HMS Hood 1941) or starts a fire that does (as with several ships at Jutland.). Failing that, can be done but you have to work at it. Torpedos work better, faster, easier fire control. Point and shoot. The incompressibility of water does the rest. Dastardly, ungentlemanly little buggers they are.
Likes For conspiratemus1:
Old 01-06-21, 04:23 PM
nlerner

I have seen the pictures of this bicycle before.

How have you verified that the bicycle frame was manufactured by H. Tano and Company?
The bicycle may have been assembled by H. Tano and Company.
With all due respect, what you call "research," I call a 5-minute Google search. Really, it wasn't difficult to find those two artifacts, and once finding them, I did not look for more.

All effective arguments need to have a sense of exigency, an answer to the "so-what?" question. I have yet to see any reason why anyone should care whether or not H. Tano manufactured bicycle frames.

All those making effective arguments also need to establish ethos or the credibility/character of the one making the argument. My assessment (not that you asked for it, but this is the Internet, after all) is that you have not succeeded with this component either.
Old 01-06-21, 05:37 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Sinking a ship with gunfire is quite difficult, unless a shell finds its way to a magazine (as with HMS Hood 1941) or starts a fire that does (as with several ships at Jutland.). Failing that, can be done but you have to work at it. Torpedos work better, faster, easier fire control. Point and shoot. The incompressibility of water does the rest. Dastardly, ungentlemanly little buggers they are.
Sure, if torpedoes would work better, let's use those.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 01-06-21, 06:28 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
All effective arguments need to have a sense of exigency, an answer to the "so-what?" question. I have yet to see any reason why anyone should care whether or not H. Tano manufactured bicycle frames.
I thought of that, as I expect most folks on this thread.

But that's not really a good reason whatsoever. Obviously Hummer cares, and if it floats their boat, why do you care? For example, you may have seen my latest quest to determine the evolution of Campagnolo cambio corsa dropouts. I have seen an illustration of 12 teeth and have seen examples of 13, 14, 15, 17 and 19 teeth with varying stampings, eyelets and other features. Why? Why the **** not? A quest to find utterly irrelevant information is the definition of a historian.

I'm interested and if you do not, why would you care enough to reply?
Likes For iab:
Old 01-06-21, 07:04 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
You've got live fish in those tubes, haven't you?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-06-21, 07:05 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
Old 01-06-21, 07:37 PM
nlerner

Originally Posted by iab
I thought of that, as I expect most folks on this thread.

But that's not really a good reason whatsoever. Obviously Hummer cares, and if it floats their boat, why do you care? For example, you may have seen my latest quest to determine the evolution of Campagnolo cambio corsa dropouts. I have seen an illustration of 12 teeth and have seen examples of 13, 14, 15, 17 and 19 teeth with varying stampings, eyelets and other features. Why? Why the **** not? A quest to find utterly irrelevant information is the definition of a historian.

I'm interested and if you do not, why would you care enough to reply?
Well, I don't care--but I responded for the same reason I spend any time on this site when I should probably be trying to make progress on my to-do list: distraction, entertainment, social engagement, sharing and learning. Making sound arguments is more aligned with my line of work than most other topics that come up on this site, so I couldn't help myself (though I tried, I swear!).
Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-06-21, 07:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

You could literally put any Garfield Minus Garfield comic in this thread and it would be 100% appropriate no matter where you put it.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.