Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1995 Giant CFM-4, what can I do?

Old 01-12-21, 07:17 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
1995 Giant CFM-4, what can I do?

I'm not sure how classic or vintage it is but I want to figure out what I should do with it? Is it too old to risk with the carbon frame to fix up and make a decent hybrid out of it? Is it even worth it? It's in good shape, no handlebars or seat on it currently but everything else looks good. If I sell it as is, what should I ask? If it's scrap I understand as I don't want anyone buying it and possibly injuring themselves on the older carbon frame if it's too risky.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-13-21, 09:19 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
Some of these have rigid forks, some have suspension.

If yours has a rigid fork, much easier to deal with, as there's very little to go wrong other than damage.

If yours has a suspension fork, first have to find out if the suspension is shot, as it often is after decades. If it is, can it be replaced or rebuilt?

Trying to get a suspension fork that fits - and retains somewhat the same angles and stack height - can be a nightmare, so I don't recommend that option.

There seems to be a bad vibe for older carbon/alu hybrid frames that I've never understood. Unless you're a really hard rider / masher, I wouldn't worry about frame integrity.
Old 01-13-21, 10:13 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

It has the rigid fork and I never rode it hard. In fact I never went off road with it. Yeah, I think I read somewhere that those older CF frames may be/get brittle. After thinking about it, I really don't want to fix it up and would rather just sell it to someone who could find value in fixing it up.
Old 01-13-21, 02:32 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 189 Posts
If I were trying to sell, I'd play up the lightweight frame and also the chatter-dampening nature of these alu / carbon hybrids. What is a dead feeling to some - the antithesis of a lively steel frame - can actually be a boon if your roads are less than ideal. Could be an interesting city bike with upright bars and trigger shifters.
Old 01-18-21, 06:29 PM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Get it running and ride it. Ive seen some people take advantage of the replaceable dropouts and get some new horizontal dropouts made and make a pretty cool,looking single speedout of them

I have a Cadex CFM-1 that I got in '92 and don't have a problem riding the poop out of it now. You hear stories about the frame having bonding problems, when new, but i figure it's it's still rolling almost 30 years later that it wasn't one of the lemons.

The carbon tubes used for these frames seem to be crazy thick., you can see how thick it is in the single tube section of the seatstay. I have a feeling that being pretty new technology at the time they WAY overbuilt it.
Old 01-18-21, 07:49 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
trust your insticts/

CFM2
Old 01-18-21, 11:56 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
CFM2
Almost over done but still retro cool looking, especially the cook brothers. Sweet ride.