Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hub Ball bearings

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Hub Ball bearings

Old 01-20-21, 04:17 AM
Seb1987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hub Ball bearings

Today I opened up my hubs to inspect, clean and grease them for the 1st time in 4 years. I believe I may need to get new ball bearings but are all hub ball bearings the same size?
Old 01-20-21, 04:30 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by Seb1987
Today I opened up my hubs to inspect, clean and grease them for the 1st time in 4 years. I believe I may need to get new ball bearings but are all hub ball bearings the same size?
Great! Yes and no.

It really depends on what kind of equipment you have, but generally the balls are larger at the rear and some of the largest I have found were supporting the rear sprocket of a kiddie bike. As I tend to work at the cheaper/older end of the bike spectrum I notice that the cones tend to suffer more damage than the balls, it often looks like damp settles on one side of the cone and begins to corrode them out in that area if left in one position for several years. The balls generally do not show the same level of damage, but I suggest examining the bearing surfaces carefully, maybe with a magnifying glass, to look for pitting. If they look good, then there is no harm in replacing the balls.

The best thing of all is cleaning, regreasing and adjusting.
Old 01-20-21, 04:43 AM
FTB
Luke

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Seb1987
Good idea replacing the ball bearings , can make a big difference especially in conjunction with the fresh grease, but I guess you knew that.
Two things to keep in mind
  1. Bearing size
  2. Bearing grade/tolerance specifications
Ball bearings come in different sizes so you need to mkae sure you purchase the correct ones for your hub. If you have a shimano hub, you can search up the tech docs for your hub here using the product discipline and search function (road hubs > 'road' etc) and often find out the ball bearing size just to be 100% sure otherwise you can often search online. This is different for front and rear hubs even in the same series. https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Component
Bearing grades - the lower the number, the better the ball tolerances are, so grade 3 is best and grade 100 is worse etc.
Old 01-20-21, 08:03 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Buy a digital caliper and measure what you have. These devices are inexpensive and answer a lot of questions. Typically bearing balls are 3/16" front and 1/4" rear, but some hubs don't follow this convention.

Why do you think that you need to replace them? If, after cleaning bearing balls, cones, and cups, you see nice smooth bearing tracks with no chipping or galling, just regrease and adjust.
Old 01-20-21, 08:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Also, don't overbuy bearing grade. Grade 25 balls are the most commonly used and are far more than good enough but low enough in price to splurge on. Paying a huge premium for Grade 10 or for ceramic balls is a waste of money for no benefit.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-20-21, 08:35 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
At $11/hundred or so there is no reason not to stock & replace most bearing balls if you plan to work on bikes.
https://www.bocabearings.com/product...-(100-pcs)-411
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-20-21, 09:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
I'm on both sides.

If you've got fresh bearings ready to go (or you need a break, run down to the LBS to get some), put in new bearings.

If the old bearings are clean and shiny, re-use them.

The only time you need to put yourself out to get new bearings is when the old ones are cracked, pitted, or (heaven forbid) rusty. Then you need to get new bearings if you don't have any. Take a couple with you when you go the your LBS, or measure them carefully if you need to mail-order.
Old 01-20-21, 12:24 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If the bearings have their original finish they a good to reuse.
Old 01-20-21, 12:50 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
There's actually quite a few sizes. Go down to your LBS and they will have a special ruler to measure them and they probably have what you need in stock.
Old 01-20-21, 12:55 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Also, don't overbuy bearing grade. Grade 25 balls are the most commonly used and are far more than good enough but low enough in price to splurge on. Paying a huge premium for Grade 10 or for ceramic balls is a waste of money for no benefit.
Not really true though the quality of the hubs can have an impact as well. Dura Ace and Record come with higher grade bearings because they spin better and can last longer. Although I think ceramic often costs stupid amounts of money spending a little extra on hubs will help them spin a little better.

OP: Get the park spoke ruler for future such repairs, it has holes for all the sizes of bearings bikes use, which ever hole it barely manages to drop through is the size. When it doubt bring one of each to the LBS and they'll do just that or a good mechanic will just know by sight in all likelihood. Nothing wrong with changing them every few years, even if everything looks good bearings can deform from the pressures on them over time and new bearings will keep everything running smooth.
Old 01-20-21, 01:42 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Not really true though the quality of the hubs can have an impact as well. Dura Ace and Record come with higher grade bearings because they spin better and can last longer. Although I think ceramic often costs stupid amounts of money spending a little extra on hubs will help them spin a little better.

OP: Get the park spoke ruler for future such repairs, it has holes for all the sizes of bearings bikes use, which ever hole it barely manages to drop through is the size. When it doubt bring one of each to the LBS and they'll do just that or a good mechanic will just know by sight in all likelihood. Nothing wrong with changing them every few years, even if everything looks good bearings can deform from the pressures on them over time and new bearings will keep everything running smooth.
Really better yet is to get a cheap digital caliper as it is useful in all things bike related. Measuring seatpost diameters, stems, frame spacing, and even bearing diameters for about the same price.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-20-21, 01:56 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
It's easy to measure bearings with a simple 12" ruler.
Line the bearings up along the ruler.
1/4" = 4 per inch or 8 per 2".....
3/16" = 8 per 1.5" or 12 per 2.25" or 16 per 3"......

Why does something that simple require special measuring tools when just a bit of thought......
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 01-20-21, 02:02 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's easy to measure bearings with a simple 12" ruler.
Line the bearings up along the ruler.
1/4" = 4 per inch or 8 per 2".....
3/16" = 8 per 1.5" or 12 per 2.25" or 16 per 3"......

Why does something that simple require special measuring tools when just a bit of thought......
1. those puppies just like to roll away on me with the slightest breeze.
2. honestly this method never occurred to me. I can just tell by visual now but used the ruler in the past.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-20-21, 02:22 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Anything better than Grade 25 barrs is an absolute waste of money. Cheap hubs may use Grade 100 or Grade 200 balls but the upper level cup-and-cone hubs are served very well with Grade 25. I have a Dura Ace rear hub with over 75,000 miles still in daily use It has never seen anything but Grade 25 balls, redone at 7000 mile intervals, and both the original cones and races are still in excellent shape and smooth as glass. I remember people claiming that Campy Record hubs used "matched sets of Grade 5 balls" which was more hype than any benefit.

+1 on that Park ruler and it's useful for more than sizing bearing balls. It has spoke length measuring slots, the somewhat obsolete sizing holes for crank cotters and is a good rigid 12+" ruler for measuring chain "stretch". It's cheap for all that it does.
Old 01-20-21, 03:01 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
+1 on that Park ruler and it's useful for more than sizing bearing balls. It has spoke length measuring slots, the somewhat obsolete sizing holes for crank cotters and is a good rigid 12+" ruler for measuring chain "stretch". It's cheap for all that it does.
Seconded.
Old 01-21-21, 02:58 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
1. those puppies just like to roll away on me with the slightest breeze.
2. honestly this method never occurred to me. I can just tell by visual now but used the ruler in the past.
A small empty box with an inch marked from one corner, and those balls are not going anywhere.
Old 01-21-21, 03:47 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you are going to reuse balls, I would put them back in the same side of the hub they came out of.
Old 01-22-21, 12:50 AM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
What hubs are these? Do the bearings appear pitted/worn?

I’d just clean the hub and bearings and add fresh grease, unless something seems worn (there is play or they feel rough).
Old 01-22-21, 05:17 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
If you are going to reuse balls, I would put them back in the same side of the hub they came out of.
It doesn't mater. The tolerances for the balls is too small to make a difference.
Likes For davidad:
Old 01-29-21, 07:42 AM
Seb1987

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm on both sides.

If you've got fresh bearings ready to go (or you need a break, run down to the LBS to get some), put in new bearings.

If the old bearings are clean and shiny, re-use them.

The only time you need to put yourself out to get new bearings is when the old ones are cracked, pitted, or (heaven forbid) rusty. Then you need to get new bearings if you don't have any. Take a couple with you when you go the your LBS, or measure them carefully if you need to mail-order.
I'll go to my LBS then with one of the ball bearings cause just one of them looked like it has a tiny tiny bit og rust on it.