Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Stem advice for LHT?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Stem advice for LHT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-21, 09:54 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Aesthetics is totally useless when you have functionality and performance to consider first.

A cheap stem might seem "fine", but once you try a better quality stem (doesn't need to be hundreds of dollars) you'll be amazed how a stem which otherwise looks the same dimension wise can totally change the handling of your bike.
to be honest, I'm skeptical of that statement, but am always open to trying and feeling the difference between stuff, but can't see myself going that route, prefer to put time and money into other bike stuff.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-07-21, 11:56 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What stem do you use? It looks similar to an old Trek System 2 with the hidden bolt from the 90s. Its neat, I guess, but it otherwise looks the same as a silver or black 17 degree stem.
That’s the old one

This is the new one...Nitto CT5

that one is now on what will be a townie
Old 01-07-21, 12:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Aesthetics is totally useless when you have functionality and performance to consider first.

A cheap stem might seem "fine", but once you try a better quality stem (doesn't need to be hundreds of dollars) you'll be amazed how a stem which otherwise looks the same dimension wise can totally change the handling of your bike.
Wait- so 2 threadless stems that are the same length, angle, and clamp size will perform so differently that it will 'totally change the handling' of my bike?
Just...what?

What stems specifically are you referring to? I would be interested to know what stems you have used where this is the case.

I could see a redstop stem performing differently compared to a rigid stem, but thats because they are different designs and meant to perform differently.
Currently I have an Easton EA50, an Easton EA70, a Ritchey WCS Aluminum, a couple Kalloy 7 UL, a Kalloy Uno, and a VeloOrange stem. They are all alloy, 7 degree(or 6 for the Eastons, i think?), and 31.8mm clamp(the VO is 26.0). When swapping them out, I have never noticed any of them 'totally change the handling' of my bike. I like the Kalloy 7 because its the lightest of any. I like the Ritchey WCS because of the vanity. But nope, none change the handling.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-07-21, 12:43 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
That’s the old one

So a steel stem that is fillet brazed with welded bolt clamps. The fillet brazing does make it look nice.

This is 100mm long, weighs 107g, and cost $24usd. It certainly seems attractive?...forgive my hesitation, its a stem and Ive never given it this much thought.

And my chrome VO stem has no visible welding(fillet aesthetic) and cost $35.

I think I may need to start looking at stems and contemplate them a bit more to better understand what makes them attractive.
Huh. Time to ponder.
Old 01-07-21, 12:49 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

So a steel stem that is fillet brazed with welded bolt clamps. The fillet brazing does make it look nice.

This is 100mm long, weighs 107g, and cost $24usd. It certainly seems attractive?...forgive my hesitation, its a stem and Ive never given it this much thought.

And my chrome VO stem has no visible welding(fillet aesthetic) and cost $35.

I think I may need to start looking at stems and contemplate them a bit more to better understand what makes them attractive.
Huh. Time to ponder.
The problem with aluminum stems as you saw id they're too big for the 1" head tube. which is why I went to steel with steel spacers.

We all gotta float out own boat my stem/spacers are worth every dollar I spent on them, they may not be to someone else. I have never looked for the cheapest way to any objective I've always done things the way I want them done which is probably why I don't N+1
Old 01-07-21, 12:54 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Wait- so 2 threadless stems that are the same length, angle, and clamp size will perform so differently that it will 'totally change the handling' of my bike?
Just...what?

What stems specifically are you referring to? I would be interested to know what stems you have used where this is the case.

I could see a redstop stem performing differently compared to a rigid stem, but thats because they are different designs and meant to perform differently.
Currently I have an Easton EA50, an Easton EA70, a Ritchey WCS Aluminum, a couple Kalloy 7 UL, a Kalloy Uno, and a VeloOrange stem. They are all alloy, 7 degree(or 6 for the Eastons, i think?), and 31.8mm clamp(the VO is 26.0). When swapping them out, I have never noticed any of them 'totally change the handling' of my bike. I like the Kalloy 7 because its the lightest of any. I like the Ritchey WCS because of the vanity. But nope, none change the handling.
Yeah, it only took a second to realize who posted that. I didn't see the original comment. I put him on ignore a while ago, and now my world is a little less moist.
Old 01-07-21, 01:03 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

The problem with aluminum stems as you saw id they're too big for the 1" head tube. which is why I went to steel with steel spacers.

We all gotta float out own boat my stem/spacers are worth every dollar I spent on them, they may not be to someone else. I have never looked for the cheapest way to any objective I've always done things the way I want them done which is probably why I don't N+1
Ooh, good point on the 1" head tube dilemma. Yeah, I can see why a bulky stem wouldn't look great in that scenario and you would look for a sleek/slim option.
Old 01-07-21, 01:06 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Ooh, good point on the 1" head tube dilemma. Yeah, I can see why a bulky stem wouldn't look great in that scenario and you would look for a sleek/slim option.
You have the same problem I do..
Old 01-07-21, 01:51 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
I've used a lot Ritchey and Dimension stems over the years, a good value for the dollar, but then, then I put on a Thomson stem, and my world changed. The bike handled so much nicer than before, it was faster and more efficient, My wife claimed that I even looked more stylish while riding. I pity those that haven't experienced such a revelation that a mere upgrade of a stem can provide.
Likes For robow:
Old 01-07-21, 07:50 PM
djb

That’s the old one

I have to say Chris from deutchland (sp?) that is one beautiful stem. I really do get the aesthetic thing, Ive got a fine arts degree to prove it!
Likes For djb:
Old 01-08-21, 12:22 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by robow
I've used a lot Ritchey and Dimension stems over the years, a good value for the dollar, but then, then I put on a Thomson stem, and my world changed. The bike handled so much nicer than before, it was faster and more efficient, My wife claimed that I even looked more stylish while riding. I pity those that haven't experienced such a revelation that a mere upgrade of a stem can provide.
Old 01-08-21, 12:24 AM
phughes

That’s the old one

That is a thing if beauty. Well done.
Likes For phughes:
Old 01-11-21, 07:57 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Robbie, how did a different stem make your bike faster?
Old 01-24-21, 02:07 PM
surlylhtfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by surlylhtfan
Really not a lot of 26mm bar clamp diameter stems out there online.. At least in less than 100mm length.

Found one 65mm with 9deg, and another 70mm with 17deg.
Well turns out a 2020 (or 2019? 2021?) LHT does NOT have a 26mm bar clamp on the stem
Old 01-24-21, 04:12 PM
djb

Well turns out a 2020 (or 2019? 2021?) LHT does NOT have a 26mm bar clamp on the stem
I reckon that for years and years and years they've been using oversize bars, pretty much the standard for eons now.
Old 01-24-21, 07:18 PM
surlylhtfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I reckon that for years and years and years they've been using oversize bars, pretty much the standard for eons now.
Yeah I dont know where I saw 26mm. Spent $40 on a new stem, oh well.

I do have a Jones H-Bar I can try now at least (knowing the stock stem is 31.8)
Old 01-25-21, 12:48 PM
phughes

Yeah I dont know where I saw 26mm. Spent $40 on a new stem, oh well.

I do have a Jones H-Bar I can try now at least (knowing the stock stem is 31.8)
You probably saw a thread, or specs referring to an older LHT. My 2011 LHT has a 26mm stem.
Old 01-25-21, 02:06 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
These are nice to own, many at Amazon for 10 bucks or less:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Calip.../dp/B07DFFYCXS
Old 01-25-21, 02:08 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Yes, 26.0 started to fade a decade ago, lingering on niche bikes (touring).
Old 01-25-21, 03:09 PM
djb

Originally Posted by seeker333
Yes, 26.0 started to fade a decade ago, lingering on niche bikes (touring).
trekking bars that we have in the few stores that stock them here are 26. Had to find new stems to figure out what stem to use when I put them on my wifes bike a few years back.