Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cone wrench set - good and cheap?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-23-21, 04:54 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I'm looking for a cone wrench set that covers between 13-17mm at least. I'll probably get 2 so I have 2 of each size.

Any ideas on the double ended ones vs. the single ended ones? I could see where having 1 set would be problematic if you needed one size of each that is on the same wrench, but with 2 sets that would give me 2 of each size regardless of what wrench the size is on.
Old 01-23-21, 05:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I'm looking for a cone wrench set that covers between 13-17mm at least. I'll probably get 2 so I have 2 of each size.

Any ideas on the double ended ones vs. the single ended ones? I could see where having 1 set would be problematic if you needed one size of each that is on the same wrench, but with 2 sets that would give me 2 of each size regardless of what wrench the size is on.
My current set is Kingsbridge and Sugino both of which are of quality but vintage and no longer produced. A double ended one is not a bad idea at all I am fine with mine being double ended saves space and weight in my toolbox. The Park DCW-1 - 3 would be a good solid set of cone wrenches I probably wouldn't look cheaper than that but if I wanted alternatives, Hozan and Pedro's make some solid tools or even the Campagnolo set would get you close (though I don't know that they do a 17)

Like with any tool buy the absolute best you can unless using as a disposable tool set or one that is used in very very very very very rare circumstances that are not essential. Life is too short for crap tools.
Old 01-23-21, 05:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
You only need one 17mm cone wrench assuming you have another 17mm box or open end wrench. Those nuts are on the "outside", so the wrench doesn't need to be thin.
I started off with the PARK double ended wrench, but they'll spread if you have an exceptionally tight nut to break loose.
Else, I have pairs of PARK blue handled wrenches from 13-16mm. They are plenty good for a home mechanic. That's what I see the front room mechanics/salesman at my LBS use. Not sure about the mechanic in the "back" room.
Anther option is 1 set of singles w/ double enders to compliment.
You can always take 2 17mm's to get things to unscrew. It just might not be the side you prefer that loosens.
Old 01-23-21, 05:59 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I started off with the PARK double ended wrench, but they'll spread if you have an exceptionally tight nut to break loose.
Like these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Park-Tool-D...kAAOSwz3JeogX4

I have a bunch of other tools. My regular wrenches are all Craftsmen, between 10-20+ years old, not the new crap. The cone wrenches I'm after are specifically the thin ones for bike duty. I did make some last Fall (13mm and 15mm, 2x each) but I want a proper set.

As for the tight nut/cone scenario - I can see where that would stress a wrench.

The blue handle park wrench sets look to be in the mid $70 range. Thats a ton more than I wanted to spend. Though, I am curious - what purpose do the larger sizes have on bike repairs that normal wrenches wouldn't be able to be used for? I am not aware of any parts on any of my bikes that would use, say, a thin 22mm wrench?
Old 01-23-21, 06:40 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
The blue handle park wrench sets look to be in the mid $70 range. Thats a ton more than I wanted to spend. Though, I am curious - what purpose do the larger sizes have on bike repairs that normal wrenches wouldn't be able to be used for? I am not aware of any parts on any of my bikes that would use, say, a thin 22mm wrench?
Good and cheap almost never go together when it comes to tools. Yes, the Park blue handled single size wrenches are a bit more than you had in mind but well worth it. They are strong and comfortable. I have a pair of Campy double ended cone wrenches (13x14 and 15x16) and, while they are beautifully made of very hard steel, they are also very uncomfortable to use.

Basically the commonly needed sizes are 13, 14, 15, and 17mm with the 17mm being optional on most hubs since, as Bill noted, lock nuts are usually on the outsize so a standard 17mm box or open end will fit. You don't have to buy the entire set at once, just buy the sizes for your particular hubs as needed. Yes, the set is cheaper per wrench but you will wind up with a few you never use.

That said, I have hubs that need two 14mm cone wrenches, one using a 16mm and I have a new set of Shimano GRX thru axle disc wheels that use a 22mm cone wrench for the rear wheel and a pair of 17mm cone wrenches for the front wheel. I added wrenches individually on an as-needed basis.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-23-21, 06:42 PM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I have used 2 Hozan C-503 wrenches forever. Each wrench does 13&14, 15&16, two wrenches will do anything I've ever seen, never needed a 17mm cone wrench. I have an ATD and a Campy, the Hozan's are as good quality as the Campy. I've never had any issue with the Hozan's spreading with really tight nuts. I use any decent mechanics wrench for the outer nuts. The Hozan's are old enough I've forgot when I got them, they are made in Japan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HOZAN-C-503...0AAOSwvApaBI1J
Old 01-23-21, 09:53 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
If you're going to be working on traditional cup and cone hubs, two 13/15 mm double ended wrenches, the Park DCW-4 or equal, will cover most of what you'll see.
Old 01-24-21, 03:16 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

We started with the double ended ones but found the single park tool ones had better leverage. We actually bought quite a few used on ebay so there are multiple sets in the shop and our mobile setup.

Try this link https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=park+tool+used

Edited to add

Actually there are two used sets up on ebay right now, not a bad price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-6-Us...4AAOSwk1ZgDIsL
and
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-7-Us...AAAOSwFa9gDIh8

Good luck

Last edited by JoeTBM; 01-24-21 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added items
Old 01-24-21, 05:56 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
I have 3 or 4 sets of Park DCW cone wrenches.
1 set in my tool box here in Cambodia, one set in my tool box in the US and 2 or 3 sets spread thru my touring bike, Mt bike, and my Gravel/Allroad bikes and on a bike in the States.
Old 01-24-21, 07:14 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 403 Posts
My singles collect dust, mostly because I deal with enough bikes and I am old so I can't remember cone and nut sizes and I ofter guess wrong on the smaller than 17mm size so it saves time. I try to always wear mechanics glove or at least nitrile so they are not too uncomfortable.
Old 01-25-21, 08:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
All my bikes take 15 and 17 mm cone wrenches. The Park SCW series is a whole lot easier on my hands than the double-ended, so I've gravitated to those. FWIW, I only need one 15 and one 17, although two 17s is a worthwhile luxury for me. YMMV.
Old 01-25-21, 08:52 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Good and cheap almost never go together when it comes to tools. Yes, the Park blue handled single size wrenches are a bit more than you had in mind but well worth it. They are strong and comfortable. I have a pair of Campy double ended cone wrenches (13x14 and 15x16) and, while they are beautifully made of very hard steel, they are also very uncomfortable to use.

Basically the commonly needed sizes are 13, 14, 15, and 17mm with the 17mm being optional on most hubs since, as Bill noted, lock nuts are usually on the outsize so a standard 17mm box or open end will fit. You don't have to buy the entire set at once, just buy the sizes for your particular hubs as needed. Yes, the set is cheaper per wrench but you will wind up with a few you never use.

That said, I have hubs that need two 14mm cone wrenches, one using a 16mm and I have a new set of Shimano GRX thru axle disc wheels that use a 22mm cone wrench for the rear wheel and a pair of 17mm cone wrenches for the front wheel. I added wrenches individually on an as-needed basis.
Pretty much ditto.
Old 01-26-21, 06:27 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I have one Btwin tool I bought at Decathlon that fits 4 sizes of cone, 13 to 17 mm I think.

It seems to work, and I have serviced a lot of wheels with it. It also keeps the number of tools lying around on my bench or in my toolbox down.
Old 01-26-21, 12:39 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

Why not get a good double ended set, that way you can cover most of the common sizes you come up against.
Old 01-26-21, 01:01 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Why not get a good double ended set, that way you can cover most of the common sizes you come up against.
Why not? Comfort. Double ends are hard on the hands. See above.
Old 01-26-21, 01:59 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
You only need one 17mm cone wrench assuming you have another 17mm box or open end wrench. Those nuts are on the "outside", so the wrench doesn't need to be thin.
I would agree for most, but not all outside locknuts; as I discovered and needed a second cone wrench.

John
Old 01-26-21, 03:16 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
I would agree with you if I were working in a shop and had to service hubs several times a day. However, at home I can put up with discomfort a time or two per year. IN 35+ years of working on various bikes I have acquired a number of cone wrenches, some of them very cheaply. I still have the cheapest ones I bought and I still use them because they have offsets which are useful in close quarters. These wrenches have stood up to over 30 years of my personal use, but they probably wouldn't have lasted as long if used everyday in a professional setting
Old 01-26-21, 10:43 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I like nice tools as much as the next guy, but the OP is asking about affordable options. I don't think he's working in a shop, so he's going to be using a cone wrench for a minute at a time, a few times a year. Not a big deal to use a uncomfortable one for that purpose, and easy enough to put on gloves, or just wrap a rag around the wrench.

I've also taken a cheap open ended wrench and ground it thin enough to fit.
Old 01-27-21, 02:37 AM
Ambroseambrose

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cone wrench set that covers

Overall I think these cone wrenches are a great value, they are very accurate when used with higher quality components and I have yet to have slipping issues when used correctly.
Old 01-29-21, 03:30 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
I like nice tools as much as the next guy, but the OP is asking about affordable options. I don't think he's working in a shop, so he's going to be using a cone wrench for a minute at a time, a few times a year. Not a big deal to use a uncomfortable one for that purpose, and easy enough to put on gloves, or just wrap a rag around the wrench.

I've also taken a cheap open ended wrench and ground it thin enough to fit.
There are still plenty of used sets and individual Park Tool cone wrenches on eBay, try this link for what is currently available, this gives you the value of a quality tool at an affordable price

Park Tool used cone wrench

Last edited by JoeTBM; 01-30-21 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-29-21, 03:45 PM
James1964 

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
I have a pair of VAR chromed vanadium double-ended cone wrenches that I bought in France 38 years ago. Great quality and durability.
Old 01-29-21, 03:48 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I've had my cheap cone wrenches for 40+ years now. I'm only using them on my own bikes and they've been all I need. They are the generic double ended flat type with two fittings on each end. don't know the sizes. If I've used them 30 times in those 40 years that would be a lot. My main wheels the last 10 years or so have been sealed bearings anyway, but I have other bikes too.
Old 01-29-21, 11:36 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
was working on the bike at night, as usual,

needed a cone wrench, bike shops closed,

went to garage and found a nice chrome box end combo wrench ,

then the Nakita grinder started making sparks and i had a new custom cone wrench, nice and thick, as it was "machined" to fit snugly between the nut and washer,

dip it in water a bunch of times to keep it hardened like the blacksmith in Gunsmoke who used to be Burt Renyolds.
Likes For cjenrick: