Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Silica Secret Chain Blend. Anyone try it yet?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-14-20, 03:49 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts

First time waxing a chain, and first time using Silica to do it, so we shall see how it goes. Melting the wax as we speak. Has anyone else tried it? If so, what are your thoughts?
Old 07-14-20, 04:34 PM
InvertedMP 

Old 07-14-20, 04:37 PM
InvertedMP 

All done. I have no idea if it worked right but we shall see lol.

Old 07-14-20, 04:38 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
It's far from being a secret blend. I've heard it's just some wax with some Nano-Scale Tungsten Disulfide thrown in.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-14-20, 04:45 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
Let us know how you like it. Did you degrease chain first??
Old 07-14-20, 05:29 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by datlas
Let us know how you like it. Did you degrease chain first??
Yes I did.
Old 07-14-20, 11:15 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Questions abound! How long is it supposed to last and can you reissue the left over wax until it’s all gone?

ive been using some type of wax/water blend in a squeeze bottle for the last few months. Can’t remember the brand right now. It’s been quite good but I have to wax the chain every 300 miles or so it seems
Old 07-14-20, 11:27 PM
InvertedMP 

Originally Posted by robbyville
Questions abound! How long is it supposed to last and can you reissue the left over wax until it’s all gone?

ive been using some type of wax/water blend in a squeeze bottle for the last few months. Can’t remember the brand right now. It’s been quite good but I have to wax the chain every 300 miles or so it seems
The bag of wax is reusable yes.
Old 01-27-21, 03:58 AM
John_E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
The bag of wax is reusable yes.
How has this wax been? chain life, relube intervals, cleanliness? Also zerofriction suggested that KMC chains were not the best for waxing because of their coating, did you observe any problems ?

Also Has anyone tried both PTFE+wax and this one, can you say this one is better than wax +PTFE?

I was also wondering if it is possible to add Tungsten Disulfide in Wax instead of PTFE and get a homemade version of this wax?
Old 01-27-21, 12:48 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by John_E
How has this wax been? chain life, relube intervals, cleanliness? Also zerofriction suggested that KMC chains were not the best for waxing because of their coating, did you observe any problems ?

Also Has anyone tried both PTFE+wax and this one, can you say this one is better than wax +PTFE?

I was also wondering if it is possible to add Tungsten Disulfide in Wax instead of PTFE and get a homemade version of this wax?
I see no reason why you couldn't mix up whatever you wish, as long as you get get the materials. Personally, I just use a homemade mix of standard paraffin and PTFE powder for outside use. I'm happy with it.

Old 01-27-21, 01:07 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I started using Silca’s wax liquid lube when it first came out. It works. I normally would have to replace a chain at about 1500 miles. I’m at over 4000 miles on my current chain and it shows virtually zero wear - still tests out at the “new chain” range. I also get much more mileage out of an application than I have in any other lube at nearly 300-350 miles. Most other lubes are getting pretty noisy at 150-200. Side benefit is no more chain ring marks on my leg. Caveat: You do have to follow their guidelines in cleaning the chain the first time.

Short answer: yes, it works.

Qualitatively, it’s also made my chain quieter than any chain I’ve ever had. I love this stuff.

J.
Old 01-27-21, 06:57 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I started using Silca’s wax liquid lube when it first came out. It works. I normally would have to replace a chain at about 1500 miles. I’m at over 4000 miles on my current chain and it shows virtually zero wear - still tests out at the “new chain” range. I also get much more mileage out of an application than I have in any other lube at nearly 300-350 miles. Most other lubes are getting pretty noisy at 150-200. Side benefit is no more chain ring marks on my leg. Caveat: You do have to follow their guidelines in cleaning the chain the first time.

Short answer: yes, it works.

Qualitatively, it’s also made my chain quieter than any chain I’ve ever had. I love this stuff.

J.
Replacing a chain at 1500 miles?
What do you do to replace a chain at that mileage?!
Likes For waters60:
Old 01-28-21, 08:47 AM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by waters60
Replacing a chain at 1500 miles?
What do you do to replace a chain at that mileage?!
Lots of fine sand on the roads. Sand for fracking is big business around here.

j.
Old 01-28-21, 05:53 PM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Lots of fine sand on the roads. Sand for fracking is big business around here.

j.
Getting good doses of methane too?!
Old 01-28-21, 09:02 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by waters60
Getting good doses of methane too?!
the sand comes from here. They’re not doing the fracking here. So, no.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 01-30-21, 12:00 PM
bean_burrito

Bikes: 1990 GT Tequesta, 1991 Pinarello Asolo, 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 2017 Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I switched to it in September and have no complaints so far. Relubing every 500 or so km and it keeps the chain clean.
Old 02-01-21, 05:27 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,178 Posts

I use wax and ptfe, don't know if it helps or not but it certainly cant hurt.. I get between 400 and 500 miles out of a treatment with wax. The chain stays clean the entire time. And as long as you don't contaminate the wax with oils and grime,, you don't have to clean your chain after its initial cleaning. Drop it in, swish it around a bit. Hang it to cool. I use a 1 quart crock pot for my wax.
I use some lamp oil to soften the wax, so it's not so brittle.
I don't know about the tungsten mix. If you can get it,, you could add it in. Regular old paraffin wax works great all by itself.
Old 02-01-21, 02:48 PM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
I use wax and ptfe, don't know if it helps or not but it certainly cant hurt.. I get between 400 and 500 miles out of a treatment with wax. The chain stays clean the entire time. And as long as you don't contaminate the wax with oils and grime,, you don't have to clean your chain after its initial cleaning. Drop it in, swish it around a bit. Hang it to cool. I use a 1 quart crock pot for my wax.
I use some lamp oil to soften the wax, so it's not so brittle.
I don't know about the tungsten mix. If you can get it,, you could add it in. Regular old paraffin wax works great all by itself.
Already using the same method. One Sram rest KMC chains. A website on waxing (zerofrictioncycling I think) stated that they didn't recommend KMC chains since their coatings. My re wax intervals are around 200miles. The chain becomes a bit noisy when I am pushing after around 100 miles but it never chirps. It is claimed that PTFE significantly increases re-waxing intervals. I was wondering if WS2 even further increases it.

How do you decide when to rewax your chain ?
Old 02-01-21, 07:24 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,178 Posts

How do you decide when to rewax your chain ?
Mostly by sound and shifting performance. When the mix is right, and the wax is the correct hardness its real quiet running. There is a distinct rattle when its time for a soak. Its a very dry, sharp, sounding rattle, very metallic.
Funny you should mention kmc, I just put one of thier stretch proof 10 speed chains on the wahoo bike. It seemed to get a nice even coating of wax. Ill keep an eye on it.
Last year I split 4500 miles between 2 bikes, an 11 speed and a 12 speed. No noticeable wear on either chain. They measure 12 inches with tension on the pedals. Chain checker says all is well too.
Even if it works only as good as regular lube, the cleanliness is worth it to me.
Old 02-02-21, 03:46 PM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly by sound and shifting performance. When the mix is right, and the wax is the correct hardness its real quiet running. There is a distinct rattle when its time for a soak. Its a very dry, sharp, sounding rattle, very metallic.
Funny you should mention kmc, I just put one of thier stretch proof 10 speed chains on the wahoo bike. It seemed to get a nice even coating of wax. Ill keep an eye on it.
Last year I split 4500 miles between 2 bikes, an 11 speed and a 12 speed. No noticeable wear on either chain. They measure 12 inches with tension on the pedals. Chain checker says all is well too.
Even if it works only as good as regular lube, the cleanliness is worth it to me.
I agree that even if it was the same as regular lube I would use it.

Mine after 130miles is usually in between, it is very quiet or sometimes when I push it I can hear the slight ticking sound of the chain but not squeaking.
Old 02-05-21, 12:25 AM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will really appreciate it if you can tell update me the miles it took to the first re-waxing when you do. I wonder if it really is shorter than other brands.

For me that metallic sound, though very faint, is there even at 100 miles but gets noisier after 200miles. I was also wondering which model/speed kmc chain are you using?
Old 02-05-21, 10:41 AM
JohnJ80

I will really appreciate it if you can tell update me the miles it took to the first re-waxing when you do. I wonder if it really is shorter than other brands.

For me that metallic sound, though very faint, is there even at 100 miles but gets noisier after 200miles. I was also wondering which model/speed kmc chain are you using?
I am using a Shimano DA 11 speed chain. I’ve found that I can generally get about 350miles out of the this lube on that chain. After carefully following the directions Silca provides, I noticed slightly more noise at 300 miles than I do after several lubes but it never gets noisier than it did with any other type of lube I have used. It still is quiet but I re-lube at 300 miles just because I notice it being slightly noisier.

J.
Old 04-05-21, 02:22 AM
John_E

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anyone know how much WS2 is used in Silca's secret Wax? The ratios would be great. I have some leftover wax and I want to give WS2 a try too.

I am thinking of adding 25-30gr of WS2 to 1lbs of Paraffin wax (half of PTFE that I mix in),
Old 04-05-21, 04:54 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22473 Post(s)
Liked 8,794 Times in 4,092 Posts
Does anyone know how much WS2 is used in Silca's secret Wax? The ratios would be great. I have some leftover wax and I want to give WS2 a try too.

I am thinking of adding 25-30gr of WS2 to 1lbs of Paraffin wax (half of PTFE that I mix in),
If we knew, it wouldn’t be a secret!

I wish OP would give us an update.
Old 04-05-21, 05:45 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
First time waxing a chain, and first time using Silica to do it, so we shall see how it goes. Melting the wax as we speak. Has anyone else tried it? If so, what are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that you probably shouldn’t use sand to wax a chain
Likes For downhillmaster: