Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Excellent water bottle cages - cheap

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Excellent water bottle cages - cheap

Old 01-27-21, 05:13 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Meanwhile, I spent ridiculous, indefensible $120 on a set of King Cage titanium cages for one of my bikes. It turns out they're probably my favorite cages ever and are worth every penny.
Same here.
I paid $65 for my Silca titanium cage and all I ever carry in it is my very loud Bluetooth speaker.
Old 01-27-21, 12:17 PM
crowbike

Bikes: 2023 Cervelo Soloist 2007 Specialized Tricross 2017 Colnago CRS 2001 Schwinn Homegrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts
I use the Cateye BC100 cages on most of my bikes. Inexpensive, functional and durable. Can usually find them for around $8.
Old 01-27-21, 12:39 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Meanwhile, I spent ridiculous, indefensible $120 on a set of King Cage titanium cages for one of my bikes. It turns out they're probably my favorite cages ever and are worth every penny.
And I just paid extra for a Chris King titanium crown race, so I can see myself being crazy enough to eventually shell out the insane cost for a pair of these...

Old 01-27-21, 01:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
And I just paid extra for a Chris King titanium crown race, so I can see myself being crazy enough to eventually shell out the insane cost for a pair of these...
The nice thing about King cages is that they come with a lifetime warranty, though you will likely never need it. So, if you are younger, it is easier to justify $60 each for water bottle cages. Bought my first King Cages while in my early forties, and they are now on their third bike and have been used for >40k miles - and I've never had to even tweak either of them back into shape.

If I didn't already have all the cages I need, I would buy those King ti cages.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-27-21, 01:58 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by Koyote
The nice thing about King cages is that they come with a lifetime warranty, though you will likely never need it. So, if you are younger, it is easier to justify $60 each for water bottle cages. Bought my first King Cages while in my early forties, and they are now on their third bike and have been used for >40k miles - and I've never had to even tweak either of them back into shape.
Are we calling the 40s "younger"? If so, I'll take it.

Old 01-27-21, 02:28 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
Are we calling the 40s "younger"? If so, I'll take it.
Ha ha! No, afraid not. I was in my 40s when I bought my first set of the steel King cages. So, I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth by now.
Old 01-27-21, 03:26 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Originally Posted by Koyote
Ha ha! No, afraid not. I was in my 40s when I bought my first set of the steel King cages. So, I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth by now.
Rats...

Old 01-27-21, 07:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
The only criteria I see missing from above is the ability to easily reinsert the bottle when on the fly.

LBS talked me into a couple of new Specialized cages which do everything well other than remounting the bottles. Takes a bit more futzing which equals time with one hand off the bars. And when I used to go to a bar, I usually had one hand off it, so it’s not an unfamiliar feeling.

Old 01-29-21, 12:28 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
and broke frames?
No but it scared me enough that I'd prefer a cage that was weaker than the frame bottle interface.

Not a big deal, but I wouldn't want a cage that is stronger than the frame/bolt
Old 01-29-21, 12:30 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by rsbob
The only criteria I see missing from above is the ability to easily reinsert the bottle when on the fly.

LBS talked me into a couple of new Specialized cages which do everything well other than remounting the bottles. Takes a bit more futzing which equals time with one hand off the bars. And when I used to go to a bar, I usually had one hand off it, so it’s not an unfamiliar feeling.
The 50Strongs coupled with Camelback Podium water bottles are secure yet have no issue to insert/pull out when riding.
Likes For Symox:
Old 01-29-21, 04:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
No but it scared me enough that I'd prefer a cage that was weaker than the frame bottle interface.

Old 01-29-21, 07:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

It's not a bad consideration, though not clear what material the bottle cages were made out of in these quickly found examples
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-downtube.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ttle-cage.html
Old 01-29-21, 10:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2560 Post(s)
Liked 5,591 Times in 2,901 Posts
Have never considered the rigidity of a bottle cage upon impact with the ground affecting the frame. When I have hit the ground, it’s usually the bars or my body, impacting the ground first. I assumed that since my cages were made of plastic or very thin aluminum they would flex or deform, but with carbon frames maybe those assumptions go out the window.

Old 01-29-21, 10:28 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've used 50Strong cages on a couple of bikes for two years. They work fine on the downtube -- just enough tension to hold the bottle but easy to use. Enough colors to suit most bikes.

However the 50Strong cages lacked sufficient tension to reliably hold my 24 oz bottles on the seat tube -- hard jolts on pavement or gravel would dislodge the bottles. So I switched both bikes to different cages with more tension on the seat tubes only. Those cages -- Tacx and some brand I don't recall -- had a little too much tension to easily grab and replace the bottle on the downtube.

So now I have mismatched bottle cages to go along with my mismatched bottles, and mismatched color accents in cables and bar wrap.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 01-29-21, 12:29 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My old Cannondale Six-13 was destroyed because the frame fell over and the weight of the full bottle pulled the rivets out and cracked the frame. Given the construction of the Six-13, which used carbon tubes pressed into aluminum lugs, it could not be repaired. But I was able to get a warranty replacement.
Old 01-29-21, 03:55 PM
Symox

The 50Strongs coupled with Camelback Podium water bottles are secure yet have no issue to insert/pull out when riding.
These are the bottles I use and they are the best I've owned. They almost completely disassemble for ease of cleaning which has been one of my main issues with previous Camelbak bottles.

One of my favorite features of these bottles is you squeeze and water comes out. When you don't squeeze the valve self seals - no need to pull out a button with your teeth and push it back in.

https://www.camelbak.com/recreation/...SABEgIe9fD_BwE

Comes in multiple colors. I find smoke helps me ride faster
Old 01-29-21, 04:04 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
It's been 40 hours since this thread has been started... and nobody has asked how many grams they weigh??? I need to justify what I paid for my water bottle cages in some way.

Honestly, I'm kidding. If they're working for you, good for you!
I actually don't know and can't find any data on it. I can only tell you they are lighter than any steel or aluminum cages I've owned. Publishing the weight might drive up the sub $10 cost
Old 03-27-21, 10:06 PM
Symox

Just discovered that these come in colors on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/50-Strong-Wat...6904159&sr=8-1

I love mine. Highly recommended paired with Camelbak 24 oz water bottles https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Podi...6904363&sr=8-4
Old 03-28-21, 09:32 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,461 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
This is the exact issue I have. Pre-pandemic I carried one large Camelbak Podium Chill bottle, but since the pandemics started I began to carry two matching small Polar Breakaway bottles. Most of the time I can one-handedly drink from and reinsert the bottle on the down tube, but I have not learned how to do that with the bottle on the seat tube. Not that taking a break to swap bottles is such a huge deal.
Old 03-30-21, 12:35 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked 1,203 Times in 689 Posts
Walmart has products made in the USA?! Seriously though, those do look good. My favorite cages are still the Pedros Milk cages... inexpensive, made from recycled materials, and do a great job holding the bottles.

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
This is the exact issue I have. Pre-pandemic I carried one large Camelbak Podium Chill bottle, but since the pandemics started I began to carry two matching small Polar Breakaway bottles. Most of the time I can one-handedly drink from and reinsert the bottle on the down tube, but I have not learned how to do that with the bottle on the seat tube. Not that taking a break to swap bottles is such a huge deal.
Yes, unless you are using different fluids in each bottle, just swap them when the front one gets empty.
Old 03-30-21, 06:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I use a pair of cheap ones from Amazon. Everything else on the bike, it's important to me to use quality stuff. Water bottles don't impact ride quality, performance, comfort, safety, or any of that. With the caveat that I don't ride in groups so if I ever do launch a bottle all it means it's I'll have to stop and get it. The only bottle I've lost so far, I threw at a dog and wasn't going back for.

The cheap Amazon ones came with obviously fake Enve branding. From China.