Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you Oil Pivot Points Regularly?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you Oil Pivot Points Regularly?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 11:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11066 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,256 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Sorry to hear that. Everyone should try to be civil.
Not sure why you are responding this way to me- I wasnt the one who posted the comment.

this applies well to the some in this thread...
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-01-21, 11:44 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
On a VW forum i moderate we has so many "what oil should I use" topics that we setup a single "Official oil topic" and lock all others and redirect the OP to it. We currently have over 4500 post in it.

Happy reading.
Same as the helmet thread. Great idea.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 02-01-21, 04:01 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520, 2006 Gary Fisher Montare

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Whats a good durable oil that lasts through wet conditions you guys can recommend me? For either derailleurs/side pullers and chain
Tri-flow.
Old 02-01-21, 04:25 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
search function here is from 1950, pretty much useless,

type in "disc brakes" and you get a recipe for french toast.

it actually works better to go back out to the google page and type "disc brakes bike forums" and you actually get some related topics.

as for the rest of the software? more bugs than joe's apartment.

i tried to remove one letter from a post and it erased the whole post!

one time i tried to "go advanced" to upload a pic and it took me to a completely different thread!

as far as the edit function is concerned? best to look over your post because you will wait while it fidgets around, popping up blank windows before your text finally appears 5 minutes later, if you try clicking on anything while waiting to edit, a whole new set of bugs may take over,

yeah, been to a lot of forums and this place is by far the worst.

me i can not use fenders because of a sticky pine needle problem on the bike trail which at one time completely locked up my rear wheel. so after every wet ride we do a full body workout on the bike. bottom bracket gets repacked every month, hubs every two months, sealed bearings? not as sealed as you think. and once water gets in, it stays sealed in.

easier and cheaper to repack bearings than press in new sealed bearings.

we like the tri flow on the dia compes also.

Last edited by cjenrick; 02-01-21 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 04:43 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick

type in "disc brakes" and you get a recipe for french toast.

it actually works better to go back out to the google page and type "disc brakes bike forums" and you actually get some related topics.

as for the rest of the software? more bugs than joe's apartment.

i tried to remove one letter from a post and it erased the whole post!

one time i tried to "go advanced" to upload a pic and it took me to a completely different thread!

as far as the edit function is concerned? best to look over your post because you will wait while it fidgets around, popping up blank windows before your text finally appears 5 minutes later, if you try clicking on anything while waiting to edit, a whole new set of bugs may take over,

yeah, been to a lot of forums and this place is by far the worst.

me i can not use fenders because of a sticky pine needle problem on the bike trail which at one time completely locked up my rear wheel. so after every wet ride we do a full body workout on the bike. bottom bracket gets repacked every month, hubs every two months, sealed bearings? not as sealed as you think. and once water gets in, it stays sealed in.

easier and cheaper to repack bearings than press in new sealed bearings.

we like the tri flow on the dia compes also.
I'm pretty sure all these forums are all powered by the same forum "engine"

I was pretty impressed with how clean the inside of my rear hub, headset and bottom bracket looked after 40 years. The original grease was sticky and useless, there was almost no grease left in the bearings inside the headset, yet everything still moved okay. The bottom bracket felt smooth, but it had some play in It. The bearings looked rougher inside than I initially imagined.

Otherwise, very little dirt or water seemed to have gotten into there. I noticed the biggest difference after regreasing the rear hub, packing it with new bearings and replacing the severely bent axle. Also replaced the old dry rotted tire as a bonus. Rolled much smoother otherwise. Maybe all the impacts over the years is what caused the most damage to the bearings. The grease in there was obviously useless, but otherwise mostly intact.

So my question is, how often would you releasrically recommend servicing a hub? Bottom bracket? Headset?

I could have left the headset and bottom bracket alone if I really wanted to. But I'd definetly take a part my hub and regrease every 4 years or so if riding in mostly mild weather.

My bike took a big hit riding in wet and gritty weather. I began to mostly avoid riding in this sort of weather.
Old 02-01-21, 05:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,111 Times in 1,981 Posts

So my question is, how often would you releasrically recommend servicing a hub? Bottom bracket? Headset?

I could have left the headset and bottom bracket alone if I really wanted to. But I'd definetly take a part my hub and regrease every 4 years or so if riding in mostly mild weather.

My bike took a big hit riding in wet and gritty weather. I began to mostly avoid riding in this sort of weather.
thread engagement can over time change if it sees repetitious fastener movement, which then can cause a plastic zone in some instances.

I wouldn't expect a yearly breakdown for cleaning to raise much concern, but if grit is introduce in a thread (accidents happen) it can increase the tolerance. Thus, making the assembly not achieving a holding torque value.

press fit components would be more a concern.
Old 02-02-21, 11:50 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm pretty sure all these forums are all powered by the same forum "engine"
Indeed they are. The hot tip for searching a forum is to let Google search the forum for you, by including the site name in the search string, e.g.:

how often should I oil my pivot points “site:bikeforums.net”

At a bare minimum, once per lifetime of the bike. Since I ride mostly old bikes, every bike gets a complete teardown and rebuild when I first lay my hands on it. Opening and cleaning the bearings is the only way to inspect the balls and races. Whether they were ever lubed or adjusted is an unknown until you find out. I have a 1963 Schwinn cruiser whose bearings are all in perfect shape despite still having the factory lube when I got the bike. But the grease was dry and crusty, so I cleaned and re-lubed everything. Once.

Beyond that, depends on the bearing and the operating conditions, and I have no fixed rule. Definitely if a bearing starts to sound crunchy. If a bearing ends up getting ruined, I would chalk it up to experience and replace it with a sealed bearing. Your bike comes from an era when better bearings had better seals. On the earliest bearings, the grease was the seal.

If I'm riding a bike with old fashioned bearings, under gritty conditions, it's with the understanding that the bearings are living on borrowed time.
Old 02-02-21, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18567 Post(s)
Liked 16,005 Times in 7,514 Posts
Originally Posted by cjenrick
I use it quite successfully much of the time. Just last week I searched for a found a 7 year old post by a specific poster that I had remembered from way back then to compare it to something he recently posted. Wasn't hard at all.

A simple search of "chain lube" in thread titles only would give the OP reading material to to keep himself busy until rapture.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-02-21 at 12:21 PM.
Likes For indyfabz: