Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 10:38 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I think it goes something like this:

Clueless customer walks into a bike store looking for a bike. Looks at bikes. Asks salesman why he should spend more on disc brakes. Salesman tells customer because they stop better, especially in wet weather. Customer isn't an experienced cyclist and doesn't want to wreck. Buys bike with disc brakes. Never rides in wet weather.
Likes For guachi:
Old 02-15-21, 10:38 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomLetters98
V-Brakes work fine, I see no particular need for disc brakes. Any more stopping power would just throw me over the front wheels.

The bicycle industry is a fashion industry. The manufacturers have no sentiment, the split second a new design comes in they stop making their old one and move the entire production over to the new type, no matter how daft it is.

Personally I think the massive tyred 29" bikes they sell now and all those beachcomber type bikes are the worst things the industry has made since the dragsters and ten speed racers in the 1970s.
It must suck to yell at clouds all the time. Yeah, the industry does want to 'progress' each year and create new stuff, what do you expect, the engineers will sit back and design nothing? V-Brakes work fine? Yeah, I thought they did in the 90s, but do you do significant MTBing with lots of sustained (1000s of feet change)and steep drops (over 25%)? Or do you ride gravel bikes in the same environment? 29 tyres are too massive? Sorry, I'll never ride a 26 inch MTB again. So many advantages to a frame designed for 29 inch tires. Fat tire bikes offer a new way to enjoy the sport. I hear they are a blast in snow and in sandy areas on beaches. Are you against e-bikes too?
Old 02-15-21, 10:41 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Well, actually it's more like, 'Customer looks at bikes. All bikes have disk brakes'.

Take Trek for example. The only thing they offer in non-disk brakes is (1) their completely bottom of the line 820 MTB (2) as an option on their Project One Madones. Even their 520 touring bike is now disk.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 02-15-21, 10:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
With todays tech & tools, staying traditional can be sustained if it's that much so desired. It'll come at a "pay to stay vintage" price. If it were a decade ago it might take more resources. 25 years ago, well, we wouldn't be debating & complaining about who's disc brake bicycle is on our lawn.
Old 02-16-21, 07:40 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I think it goes something like this:

Clueless customer walks into a bike store looking for a bike. Looks at bikes. Asks salesman why he should spend more on disc brakes. Salesman tells customer because they stop better, especially in wet weather. Customer isn't an experienced cyclist and doesn't want to wreck. Buys bike with disc brakes. Never rides in wet weather.
You missed the part about salesman wants to sell more expensive bike, and salesman never rides in wet weather.
Old 02-16-21, 08:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Hi! What's this thread about?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-16-21, 08:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
26-ers vs. 29-ers, I think.
Old 02-16-21, 09:03 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
26-ers vs. 29-ers, I think.
I’m all for it! 26er wheel sets are already so cheap these days!

Otto
Old 02-16-21, 09:20 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
my road bike has rim brakes. No issues with them. But my gravel bike has disc brakes and I definitely prefer them for that bike since I need all the stopping power I can get as gravel road conditions can require some quick stopping. My biggest complaint for disc brakes is the squealing. Riding gravel the rotors gets contaminated frequently.
Old 02-16-21, 09:44 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’m all for it! 26er wheel sets are already so cheap these days!

Otto
To keep this thread spinning to parts unknown, I have not found this to be true when it comes to “good” older wheelsets. 6-8 years ago I could pick up a very nice XT-217 wheelset for $100 or less. Now I see prices in the $200-$300 range; and these are not close to NOS.

Of course, even 700c older used road components and wheels are also at a premium.

As someone said earlier “pay vintage pricing.” Man, I miss the times when things were just old.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 02-16-21, 11:31 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
To keep this thread spinning to parts unknown, I have not found this to be true when it comes to “good” older wheelsets. 6-8 years ago I could pick up a very nice XT-217 wheelset for $100 or less. Now I see prices in the $200-$300 range; and these are not close to NOS.

Of course, even 700c older used road components and wheels are also at a premium.

As someone said earlier “pay vintage pricing.” Man, I miss the times when things were just old.

John
"pay to stay vintage" price....
Old 02-16-21, 03:37 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomLetters98
V-Brakes work fine, I see no particular need for disc brakes. Any more stopping power would just throw me over the front wheels.

The bicycle industry is a fashion industry. The manufacturers have no sentiment, the split second a new design comes in they stop making their old one and move the entire production over to the new type, no matter how daft it is.

Personally I think the massive tyred 29" bikes they sell now and all those beachcomber type bikes are the worst things the industry has made since the dragsters and ten speed racers in the 1970s.
So we had:
Spoon Brakes which pushed on the tire
Rod actuated brakes pulled on the bottom of the rim
Coaster brakes
Drum brakes
Center-pull brakes
Side pull brakes
Cantilever brakes
Double pivot side-pull brakes
V Brakes

Ok everyone stops development peak braking achieved!

And by the way, every tire under 53" (Pennyfarthing) is ridiculous and should be banned.
Old 02-16-21, 03:44 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

John
My standards are probably low. My knobby Race King tires are on a set of old wheels with Parallax hubs that I got for $45 shipped. I bought a new machine-made rear wheel, shipped, for just over $50. The other (old) wheel set came with the RockHopper frame for a total of $50. So I have a set for smooth tires, a set for knobbies and an extra rear wheel for a home trainer tire. Your mileage (and standards) may vary.

Otto
Old 02-16-21, 03:45 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

John
Like us?
Old 02-16-21, 03:46 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So we had:
Spoon Brakes which pushed on the tire
Rod actuated brakes pulled on the bottom of the rim
Coaster brakes
Drum brakes
Center-pull brakes
Side pull brakes
Cantilever brakes
Double pivot side-pull brakes
V Brakes

Ok everyone stops development peak braking achieved!

And by the way, every tire under 53" (Pennyfarthing) is ridiculous and should be banned.
Don’t forget the early braking method of dragging a tree behind you downhill. Now that took skill to pick the right tree. 😊

Otto
Old 02-16-21, 03:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think the quote from the OP has it wrong. Part of the market who were open minded or had used discs on other bikes tried them and liked them. It is absurd to call it a fad. Anyone referring to it as such reveals a deep ignorance of the subject. There’s no way these people were ever going to go back to rim brakes. Thats not what a fad is.

But then there was the big chunk of the road market that just does whatever they see the pros do. And in many cases, the pros are the last ones to the party (disc, wider tires)

This happened a LOT in pro level XC Mountain Bike racing. Slacker geo, bigger tires, wider bars, shorter stems, losing the bar ends, dropper posts.... way late to all of it. But they eventually came around.

Thankfully for mountain bikers, we are much less interested in what pro level racers are doing. The decline of the influence of XC racing in the late 90s is one of the best thing that happened for MTBs... ever.

I wish the same for Road bikes. I see some encouraging signs (rising popularity of wide tires, gravel and endurance bikes, disc...)

But hey, maybe rim brakes ARE truly the better choice for pro racers (neutral vehicle support, 3 seconds faster per mile... whatever). And to that I say.... who cares? What percentage of the people riding road bikes are pro racers? And how often is anybody actually in the middle of a competitive race where any of that even matters?

So if putting pros on disc was a ploy by companies to get the pro-cycling groupies to try disc.... good for them.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-16-21, 03:56 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Disc brakes and electronic shifting allow me to keep one hand ready to wave, at a moments notice.
Are you going to start a wave thread for us.
Old 02-16-21, 04:06 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
Your "judgement" is not based on facts or evidence specific to actual CF bicycle frames in the real world.

EDIT: Here's some input from a few people familiar with carbon fiber in bicycle applications...

Take your first example. Plastic gasses off then gets brittle in it old age. Unless painted CF bikes are black, they get hot in the sun, and heat ages plastic. Ultra violet light ages plastic also. Put a titanium frame and a CF frame outside in full sun light and weather, and look at them after a year and see which one has the most damage.
Old 02-16-21, 04:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Don’t forget the early braking method of dragging a tree behind you downhill. Now that took skill to pick the right tree. 😊

Otto
Yes that evolved from running into the tree to sticking a branch into the spokes. Both had excellent stopping distances however modulation was a issue.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-16-21, 04:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogerogeroge
Well, actually it's more like, 'Customer looks at bikes. All bikes have disk brakes'.

Take Trek for example. The only thing they offer in non-disk brakes is (1) their completely bottom of the line 820 MTB (2) as an option on their Project One Madones. Even their 520 touring bike is now disk.
Changing their 520 touring bike to discs was a smart move. I have read more than a few touring reports where after riding many day in the rain, their rims wore thin and broke. Riding in the rain some days comes with touring, and rain and fine grit get on the rims and rim brake pads use it as a grinding compound to wear down the rims.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-16-21, 04:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Take your first example. Plastic gasses off then gets brittle in it old age. Unless painted CF bikes are black, they get hot in the sun, and heat ages plastic. Ultra violet light ages plastic also. Put a titanium frame and a CF frame outside in full sun light and weather, and look at them after a year and see which one has the most damage.
LOL. You have zero idea what you're talking about.
Old 02-16-21, 04:36 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Helmets or chain lube I think.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-16-21, 04:38 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
LOL. You have zero idea what you're talking about.
So give me your qualifications to say that. Do you have a PhD in plastics, and from what college.
Old 02-16-21, 05:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
So give me your qualifications to say that. Do you have a PhD in plastics, and from what college.
No need to have a degree. A little bit of common sense and Google is a quick and easy way for anyone to find reliable information from credible sources that contradicts pretty much every one of your ridiculous arguments against CF for use in bicycle frames. If you don't want to ride a CF bike, then don't. I don't care what you choose. Your continual posting of willfully ignorant misinformation, however, is bad for this forum.
Old 02-16-21, 06:58 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I have used rim and disc brakes, both mechanical. In my experience, stopping power is just the same in dry conditions.

But I think I'm going with discs from now on. Can be more finely modulated and safer to use in wet conditions - unless you live someplace where it never rains and you'll probably be better off with rim brakes. Safety is the consideration for me and 2nd with our local road conditions - mixed dry, wet, and always dusty/gritty. My bike with rim brake has significant rim wear now due to road grit.
I get the rim wear argument, but a bit of googling tells me that disc brake pads on average are good for about 800 miles, and a pair of rotors for about 3 disc pads. Basic math is therefore about $150 every 2500 miles (2 rotors plus 6 disc brake pads)? Is this accurate and/or how does this compare to the mileage (and therefore replacement frequency and cost) impacts to rims plus rim brake pads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.