Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Honest opinion piece on disc brakes

Old 02-16-21, 07:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I get the rim wear argument, but a bit of googling tells me that disc brake pads on average are good for about 800 miles, and a pair of rotors for about 3 disc pads. Basic math is therefore about $150 every 2500 miles (2 rotors plus 6 disc brake pads)? Is this accurate and/or how does this compare to the mileage (and therefore replacement frequency and cost) impacts to rims plus rim brake pads?
LOLWTFBBQ - no, that's not right. I get more than 5x the miles out of a set of pads. Still haven't worn a set of rotors to the min thickness.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-16-21, 07:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
I get the rim wear argument, but a bit of googling tells me that disc brake pads on average are good for about 800 miles, and a pair of rotors for about 3 disc pads. Basic math is therefore about $150 every 2500 miles (2 rotors plus 6 disc brake pads)? Is this accurate and/or how does this compare to the mileage (and therefore replacement frequency and cost) impacts to rims plus rim brake pads?
mechanical failure, installation error, brake happy freds, cheap parts & neglect of maintenance all may cause premature wear, but that is a low number for an average. Glad my average is not near that low, but it wouldn't change what I prefer to has for brakes.
Old 02-16-21, 07:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Where in the world do you get those numbers? I get at least 10x that mileage.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-16-21, 07:20 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rydabent
Take your first example. Plastic gasses off then gets brittle in it old age.
FYI materials don't "gas off" they "outgas." Gassing off is what old people with crazy ideas do.

Unless painted CF bikes are black, they get hot in the sun, and heat ages plastic.
Carbon fiber bikes get hot in the sun unless they're black? Okaaaay ....
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-16-21, 07:32 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Take your first example. Plastic gasses off then gets brittle in it old age. Unless painted CF bikes are black, they get hot in the sun, and heat ages plastic. Ultra violet light ages plastic also. Put a titanium frame and a CF frame outside in full sun light and weather, and look at them after a year and see which one has the most damage.
When you go on these rants, no one -- NO ONE -- agrees with you. Does that tell you anything?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-16-21, 08:01 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
800 miles?

Are you talking road biking or mountain biking?
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-16-21, 08:13 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
The guys with rim brakes in our summer bicycling group don't need a bell to warn pedestrians. All they have to do is grab some brake. The squealing instantly makes pedestrians jump off the multi-purpose path. The sound just screams Wal Mart bike even though their bikes are not big box store bikes. No thanks. I will stick with my hydraulic disk brakes. I don't need a marketing guru to tell me that.
I don't know much about the new hydraulic rim brakes, maybe they are way better but I can't see stopping over 300 lbs going down hill with rim brakes.
Old 02-16-21, 08:20 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
My trike has about 15000 miles on it from new. I have never changed the disc brake pads. I bought a couple of sets several years ago, when I get an indication they need changing. 800 mile on a set of pads is ludicrous.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-16-21, 08:23 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Koyote
When you go on these rants, no one -- NO ONE -- agrees with you. Does that tell you anything?
Doesnt bother me a bit. Some one has to be right.
Old 02-16-21, 08:30 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
No need to have a degree. A little bit of common sense and Google is a quick and easy way for anyone to find reliable information from credible sources that contradicts pretty much every one of your ridiculous arguments against CF for use in bicycle frames. If you don't want to ride a CF bike, then don't. I don't care what you choose. Your continual posting of willfully ignorant misinformation, however, is bad for this forum.
I have seen and touched a couple of Wright Bros steel bikes. they are now around 120 years old. Put a set of tires on it and off you would go. Do you honestly think that you could do that in 120 years with a CF bike built today. I say it would be so brittle it would shatter in a thousand pieces when someone tried to get on.

I offer this analogy. I help friends work on old cars. The plastic electrical plug are extremely brittle and prone to breakage. Remember the lions part of the weight in a CF bike is plastic.

Last edited by rydabent; 02-16-21 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-16-21, 08:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
When you go on these rants, no one -- NO ONE -- agrees with you.
That’s why he does. Cut off its food supply.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-16-21, 09:55 PM
tomato coupe

I have seen and touched a couple of Wright Bros steel bikes. they are now around 120 years old. Put a set of tires on it and off you would go. Do you honestly think that you could do that in 120 years with a CF bike built today. I say it would be so brittle it would shatter in a thousand pieces when someone tried to get on.
How many people on this forum do you think are concerned about their bike lasting for 120 years? If that's your main criterion for selecting a bike, you might want to look into granite.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-16-21, 10:00 PM
Troul 

I'd want about a decade before the frame starts to have issues.
Old 02-16-21, 11:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
How many people on this forum do you think are concerned about their bike lasting for 120 years?
I do. I can here it now....

”Here’s your great-great-great-grandpa’s bike.”

”What are those?”

“The Smithsonian says they’re rim brakes. They squeeze the rim with enough force to stop the bike.”

”Eek. I’m not getting near that thing.”

John
Old 02-16-21, 11:33 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I do. I can here it now....

”Here’s your great-great-great-grandpa’s bike.”

”What are those?”

“The Smithsonian says they’re rim brakes. They squeeze the rim with enough force to stop the bike.”

”Eek. I’m not getting near that thing.”
"Why do the footrests move?"
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-17-21, 01:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts

I offer this analogy. I help friends work on old cars. The plastic electrical plug are extremely brittle and prone to breakage. Remember the lions part of the weight in a CF bike is plastic.
You seem to think all plastics react the same to time and environment. Fact: They don't.

Based on your opinions and conclusions, there's no way a 50+ year-old plastic-handled screwdriver should still be unusable. Yet, I have a bunch of them that I continue to use on a regular basis, and they show no signs of failure any time in the foreseeable future. In fact, I recently used one as a kind of chisel, and hit the end of the handle hard with a framing hammer multiple times. You might be shocked to hear that the handle didn't shatter on impact. Sorry, man. Your plastic analogy fails.

There is actually a current thread on BF that includes info about the ratio of CF fibers to resin/epoxy in a CF matrix for bicycle frames. Not surprisngly, the numbers don't match your guess. There's actually multiple bits of info in that thread that shoot holes in some of your other CF conclusions.

Again...You have zero idea what you're talking about. Please stop. You're only putting your own ignorance on display.
Old 02-17-21, 03:13 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 219 Posts

Those wright brother bikes are probably pretty rusted out on the inside. I wouldn't ride them. Because if we take the nonsensical hyperbolic approach you've been going with I can imagine all kinds of reasons why no frame material is sufficient for bicycle use.

Take steel for example. Steel rusts. And while aluminum oxidizes as well, especially in the presence of chlorine atoms, steel just rust so much worse. When you combine chlorine with aluminum the chlorine atom does its thing oxidizing the aluminum atoms and then it kinda stops. Thus you need more salt for more corrosion. However with steel the chlorine atom doesn't stop. It jumps to the next atom and the next after that causing a chain reaction rusting the steel which eventually rusts the whole frame apart. And you cannot avoid it. Chlorine is everywhere but especially in salt which is found in sweat. So you sweat on your steel bike once and it's gone. Eventually.

Aluminum on the other hand doesn't have a fatigue limit. So you ride it and eventually it will fall apart. There's no avoiding it. An aluminum frame will fail eventually when it's ridden. That's a fact. So don't be so dumb as to ride an aluminum frame.

Titanium can only be welded in vaccuum. So if your frame does break it's pretty much toast.

Wood might be the way to go. But then there's worms and other pests which eat wood. And mold. You cannot win.

But if we consider plastics, there is in fact more than one. And different plastics have different properties. Not all plastics are UV-sensitive. Nylon is. Polyester not so much. Which is weird because most quality tents are made out of nylon... I wonder why that is? Could it have something to do with UV-protective coatings?
So to assume a carbon frame will suffer from UV-light we must first assume that the epoxy used to form the frame is very UV-sensitive. That's not a given though. But if the epoxy is UV-sensitive, it then needs to be uncoated for the UV-rays to get through. If the frame is painted, well then there's no issue is there? Paint can be reapplied if it chips.

As to the concept of "gassing off", there aren't that many plastics that actually do that. Plastic's stability is actually a major environmental issue. They just won't degrade. But I suppose that can happen with some volatile plastics like those that were made in the early days of plastic. The kind you see in old cars. But to my knowledge the epoxies used in carbon fiber production don't vaporize and are actually very stable even in low pressure environments, like airplane for example. Did you know all modern fighter jet wings and chassis are made out of carbon fiber? Well now you know. And a fighter jet has a service life of more than 40 years or so of far heavier use than a bicycle will ever see.

Now if you do respond to this post, feel free to ignore all of the stuff written above. Just respond to this. If you don't I'll know you're trolling and full of it.
Have you ever seen sailboats? What are they made of? Could it be glass fiber? The stuff that is also bound by an epoxy matrix, ie. plastic. Now do sail boats see much sunlight and therefore UV-light? Do sailboats experience demanding conditions?
The sailboat my inlaws own was made in the early 70's. By your logic since it's almost 50 years old it should have disintegrated by now or at least it should be unusable because of the various methods of plastic degradation. It looks like new.
Likes For elcruxio:
Old 02-17-21, 06:02 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts

99,99% of 120 year old steel bikes can’t be ridden, either.

My experience with cars is that rusted steel does them in before brittle plastic does.

And how many of those old plastic parts you speak of are modern CF?

You are mistaking a gut feeling for a reasoned argument, here.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-17-21, 06:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Where in the world do you get those numbers? I get at least 10x that mileage.
Ok, I referenced quick googling of 'how long do bike disc brake pads last"
eg.
https://prodifycycling.com/bike-disc-brake-guide/

followed by googling 'how long do bike disc rotors last'
https://www.feedbacksports.com/mecha...ce%20schedule.

The writers may well be just quoting lowest denominator (MTB I suppose?). OTOH, a bit more searching and I'm hard-pressed to find anyone stretching lifespan to 8-10,000 miles.

Last edited by Sy Reene; 02-17-21 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-17-21, 06:23 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by elcruxio
But if we consider plastics, there is in fact more than one. And different plastics have different properties. Not all plastics are UV-sensitive. Nylon is. Polyester not so much. Which is weird because most quality tents are made out of nylon... I wonder why that is? Could it have something to do with UV-protective coatings?
the uv sensitive product is likely used for ensuring you will be buying a new one eventually. Planned obsolescence. The other more durable material could be pretreated & sold in its place, but there's no money in that.
Originally Posted by elcruxio
So to assume a carbon frame will suffer from UV-light we must first assume that the epoxy used to form the frame is very UV-sensitive. That's not a given though. But if the epoxy is UV-sensitive, it then needs to be uncoated for the UV-rays to get through. If the frame is painted, well then there's no issue is there? Paint can be reapplied if it chips.
CF are words that are generic in meaning, yet used to a specific thing by others.
Kinda touches on the life span of CF. Tried looking for a link that I read a long time ago that provided a short & sweet to it all...
https://www.technewsworld.com/story/76172.html
Old 02-17-21, 06:35 AM
Troul 

Ok, I referenced quick googling of 'how long do bike disc brake pads last"

The writers may well be just quoting lowest denominator (MTB I suppose?). OTOH, a bit more searching and I'm hard-pressed to find anyone stretching lifespan to 8-10,000 miles.
If you search automotive pads, you'll get something of the following:
"average lifespan of brake pads between 25,000 and 65,000 miles...." "though some people will have brake pads last beyond 80,000 miles...." While it's impossible to give an exact number, the 40,000-mile range is the general mileage to keep in mind when planning for vehicle maintenance...."

That is a rather big gap regarding miles for a set of pads, that is assuming it's referring to the front only. Under normal conditions & with commonly designed purpose; Rear pads do not wear as frequently.

As to clarify the point; The expectations for pad & rotor replacement is a "YMMV" greatly. A logical & common understanding of the system may aid in developing what to expect out of brake pad wear.
Old 02-17-21, 06:57 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
As you like it.

General Cycling is delightful come springtime, as nesting season ramps up. Long-time thread watchers know that the Waving Thread is an early arrival -- but a reassuring one, presaging as it does the eruption of song to follow. Its peculiar cry puts the steady drone of the Steel-is-Real, Rim Brakes Are All We Need, and the Asploding Crabon -- all hardy species that have acclimated to northern climes and winter over -- firmly into the background. Typically, the Waver's arrival is shortly followed by the I-Passed-A-Roadie. Then, by around May, all h_ll breaks loose.
As I read this, I can hear the hinterland whos who theme in the background. Only those of us from Canada and of a certain age would get that I think.
Old 02-17-21, 07:00 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Everybody here is somewhat right and somewhat wrong. Materials within any particular category run the full gambit from very long lasting to lasting long enough for the check to clear. Quality of materials and manufacturing processes are the big determining factors on longevity. All materials have their limitations and strong points. Design and manufacturing can make or break any material selection. All long time bike manufactures have designed and made some lemons. Generalities are worthless.

You generally pay for what you get but not always. A $5,000 bike will very likely last longer than a $179.95 Wal Mart bike.
Old 02-17-21, 07:18 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by KPREN
Everybody here is somewhat right and somewhat wrong. Materials within any particular category run the full gambit from very long lasting to lasting long enough for the check to clear. Quality of materials and manufacturing processes are the big determining factors on longevity. All materials have their limitations and strong points. Design and manufacturing can make or break any material selection. All long time bike manufactures have designed and made some lemons. Generalities are worthless.

You generally pay for what you get but not always. A $5,000 bike will very likely last longer than a $179.95 Wal Mart bike.
You've stumbled in the bike version of Mac v PC, Republican v Democrat, Ohio State v Michigan we're just rehashing the same arguments we've been having for decades.

The Dead Milkmen had a a great song in the '80s that sums this thread up nice "Takin' R****ds to the Zoo"

Last edited by Germany_chris; 02-17-21 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-17-21, 07:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Am I drinking alone here, or is everyone else downing a few?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.