Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 02-16-21, 08:29 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2753 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
One last time. Vaccine priority is not based on importance to society. It's based on (1) vulnerability to deadly COVID (old, sick people), and (2) likelihood one might spread it to (1).

If ls01 is working on electric lines inside nursing homes, he would be one of the first to be vaccinated. But if he works on lines out in empty fields, not so much.
I deleted the response I had posted along with a bunch of additional stuff.
You don't get it.
I had high hopes for you but I think you may looking at this through a colored lenz.
Try this one on for size. Janitors are essential workers and are getting the vaccine.
Its not that we are essential to V.V. Its that certain people do essential work for the community at large.

I just keep getting drawn in....
Likes For ls01:
Old 02-16-21, 08:31 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Some friends are down for the winter, from Colorado. They are anti-maskers, anti-vaxers, and hoaxers. They are also moon landing deniers.
They must be a lot of fun at parties.
Old 02-16-21, 08:34 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11318 Post(s)
Liked 4,632 Times in 2,698 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
You don't get it.
I had high hopes for you but I think you may looking at this through a colored lenz.
Try this one on for size. Janitors are essential workers and are getting the vaccine.
Its not that we are essential to V.V. Its that certain people do essential work for the community at large.

Yeah.

You're not new here, either.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-16-21, 08:34 PM
ls01
he said member

I swapped out the battery, shoveled the driveway, then did the coldest ever oil change on the truck. Managed to anger my back problem.
Then I had to put the mail box bach on the pole.. snow plow got me again
Old 02-16-21, 08:35 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by LAJ
Yeah.

You're not new here, either.
well, essentially....
Old 02-16-21, 08:35 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by genejockey
When I first heard about Flat Earthers, I was sure it was meant ironically. NOBODY, I thought, could be THAT dumb. When I read that it's a real thing, I was gobsmacked. Apparently my opinion of humanity is unjustifiably positive. Or was, anyway.
They're just waiting for someone to offer to fly them around the world to prove them wrong. They ain't slick.
Old 02-16-21, 08:38 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28430 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,298 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
large variances in daily temperatures and conditions are normal here. It's called living in a maritime climate, on a group of islands. no big deal.
wut
Temperature swings by the ocean are less than those inland. Land heats/cools faster than water.
It's not about essential workers now. The first people to get vaccined were residents of nursing homes. No offense, but how are they essential to the community?
Old 02-16-21, 08:49 PM
BillyD
Administrator

You don't get it. . . .
IKR. I almost started to rebut, but alarms went off and lights started flashing, and common sense took over and I moved on. #SurvivalInstincts
Old 02-16-21, 08:51 PM
BillyD
Administrator

wut
Temperature swings by the ocean are less than those inland. Land heats/cools faster than water.

It's not about essential workers now. The first people to get vaccined were residents of nursing homes. No offense, but how are they essential to the community?
Almost got me again, didn't ya!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-16-21, 09:11 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Practice makes perfect.
Where I lived there were 3 different entities to plow the roads. Caltrans, the state, plowed the freeway, the I5. The main road from the freeway was plowed by the county and the roads in my community were plowed by the community. I could call the plow operator directly in the morning and he would come to my street. The county was hit and miss and if it started snowing late they wouldn't usually come out until the morning. Lots of people got stuck. Sometimes I would pick them up on my way home.
Old 02-16-21, 09:21 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13636 Post(s)
Liked 4,445 Times in 2,468 Posts
I swapped out the battery, shoveled the driveway, then did the coldest ever oil change on the truck. Managed to anger my back problem.
Then I had to put the mail box bach on the pole.. snow plow got me again

Kudos
Old 02-16-21, 09:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
One last time. Vaccine priority is not based on importance to society. It's based on (1) vulnerability to deadly COVID (old, sick people), and (2) likelihood one might spread it to (1).

If ls01 is working on electric lines inside nursing homes, he would be one of the first to be vaccinated. But if he works on lines out in empty fields, not so much.
Lucky for the rest of us, public health services are able to think in more than a single track. They also prioritize people you don't want falling sick and leaving the rest of us vulnerable to things like power outages in the middle of a heretofore unprecedented winter storm, or people who harvest, slaughter, cut up, pack, distribute, and sell our food.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-16-21, 09:40 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Lucky for the rest of us, public health services are able to think in more than a single track. They also prioritize people you don't want falling sick and leaving the rest of us vulnerable to things like power outages in the middle of a heretofore unprecedented winter storm, or people who harvest, slaughter, cut up, pack, distribute, and sell our food.
Like the plan which I cited above?

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/he...ation_Plan.pdf
Old 02-16-21, 09:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

wut
He's correct. It's the interaction of the land temps and the ocean temps. It's the same thing that causes microclimates in the Bay Area that make some places in the 50s while a dozen miles away it's in the 90s. And then it changes.

Old 02-16-21, 09:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Okay, MOST public health services are able to think in more than one track. You appear to have found the exception.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-21, 10:13 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
He's correct. It's the interaction of the land temps and the ocean temps. It's the same thing that causes microclimates in the Bay Area that make some places in the 50s while a dozen miles away it's in the 90s. And then it changes.
That and we are a collection of moderately sized islands in the middle of large oceans. Our nearest major landmass is thousands of miles away.
Old 02-16-21, 10:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12634 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
What's the occasion? Moving back?
If I get this job we'll move to Wenatchee, otherwise I'll end up in some other town in WA or OR most likely.
Old 02-16-21, 10:22 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
If I get this job we'll move to Wenatchee, otherwise I'll end up in some other town in WA or OR most likely.
What kind of job, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-16-21, 10:25 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by big john
Not a Honda tech but GM cars do "wake up" several modules when the door is opened but this is not a problem as they will all go to sleep before the battery runs down.
You can use the acc position for a while but it may draw more current than older non computerized cars. Just don't overdo it.
GM cars also have accessory power which remains on for 15 minutes after you turn off the key, provided you don't open the door.
my least favorite thing about our 01 and 03 GMs is that as soon as you open the door upon stopping somewhere, the radio turns off. I miss my olde cars wherein I could pull up somewhere, open the doors, turn up the tunes and have a party!
Old 02-16-21, 10:26 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by big john
What kind of job, if you don't mind me asking?
CAD work for a utility company.
Old 02-16-21, 10:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

While looking for bits for the Cannondale restoration, I spent a bit of time idly checking on other Cannondales of the same era on Ebay. One that I clicked on the listing was an R600 from about the same year. It used the 2.8 frame, which is a bit lighter and more highly tweaked than the 3.0. This year of R600 had RX100 kit like my R500, but with STIs instead of downtube shifters, and a double instead of a triple, and 8 speeds instead of 7. Looks to be in okay shape, all original components, seems not to have been ridden a lot. Back when I bought MY Cannondale, I fantasized about the 2.8 frame, but I couldn't afford more than just the R500 and its 3.0 frame. Seller wants $620 Buy It Now. I saved it in my watch list, just idly toying with the idea, as one does.

Then Sunday, I get an offer from the seller - $80 off. I need another bike like I need a hole in the head I'm already afraid my wife will figure out how much I've spend on bits for MY Cannondale. So, I declined.

Today, he lowered the offer down to $515. This is basically what I paid for the R500 when it was new, 25 years ago. Part of me wants it, the part that fantasized about a 2.8 bike 25 years ago.

We watch collectors joke about hoping our wives never realize just how many we have. But, you know, you can put 100 watches in a dresser drawer (ask me how I know!), whereas a bike is a hell of a lot bigger!

Old 02-16-21, 10:37 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Some friends are down for the winter, from Colorado. They are anti-maskers, anti-vaxers, and hoaxers. They are also moon landing deniers.
You're friends with Lauren Boebert? Kudos!
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-16-21, 11:10 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

While looking for bits for the Cannondale restoration, I spent a bit of time idly checking on other Cannondales of the same era on Ebay. One that I clicked on the listing was an R600 from about the same year. It used the 2.8 frame, which is a bit lighter and more highly tweaked than the 3.0. This year of R600 had RX100 kit like my R500, but with STIs instead of downtube shifters, and a double instead of a triple, and 8 speeds instead of 7. Looks to be in okay shape, all original components, seems not to have been ridden a lot. Back when I bought MY Cannondale, I fantasized about the 2.8 frame, but I couldn't afford more than just the R500 and its 3.0 frame. Seller wants $620 Buy It Now. I saved it in my watch list, just idly toying with the idea, as one does.

Then Sunday, I get an offer from the seller - $80 off. I need another bike like I need a hole in the head I'm already afraid my wife will figure out how much I've spend on bits for MY Cannondale. So, I declined.

Today, he lowered the offer down to $515. This is basically what I paid for the R500 when it was new, 25 years ago. Part of me wants it, the part that fantasized about a 2.8 bike 25 years ago.

We watch collectors joke about hoping our wives never realize just how many we have. But, you know, you can put 100 watches in a dresser drawer (ask me how I know!), whereas a bike is a hell of a lot bigger!
It's still tough to tell the difference between a pile of 10 bikes and a pile of 12 bikes
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-16-21, 11:20 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

A lot of wrongness on Tuesday. Maybe Wednesday will be better.
Old 02-16-21, 11:39 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

wut
Correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.