Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 09:44 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,603 Times in 3,467 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
What the mechanic said, when setting up the saddle in the first place.

Maybe.
Most likely he said screw it!
Old 02-21-21, 09:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
So, trial and error. I'm hardly the first person who's done this.
Exactly. BTW, this is why 2 bolt seatposts are superior - assuming the two bolts are fore and aft, not port and starboard.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-21-21, 09:50 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
It's a "Kurve" saddle and it looks like even when the middle part is flat it won't measure level because the nose bends downward.
That's fine. The flat part should be level. Although, because the nose arches down a bit at the tip, you could potentially angle it up a bit.

For those playing along at home, Velo Vol is talking about the Fizik Kurve for Snake. Same shape as the Fizik Arione.
Likes For rjones28:
Old 02-21-21, 09:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
They talked about this in that mountain bike movie I posted last week.
Old 02-21-21, 09:56 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
It's a "Kurve" saddle and it looks like even when the middle part is flat it won't measure level because the nose bends downward.

Should have left the level hanging on the peg. "I set my saddle up with a level rather than eyeballing it like a rank amateur. Then, I tightened up the clamps and realized it moved a bit. Looking at it, it appears it's close enough."

SMFH
Old 02-21-21, 09:58 AM
big john

My friend in East Texas said she has water as of this morning. Also, it has started warming and the snow is melting. Still no power, though.
Old 02-21-21, 10:00 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Also, it was made worse because I was wearing my snowsuit, whose seat material is slipperier than regular shorts.
Old 02-21-21, 10:32 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Exactly. BTW, this is why 2 bolt seatposts are superior - assuming the two bolts are fore and aft, not port and starboard.
Thomsons are always nice!

This Race Face arrangement makes the new saddle dial-in period the easiest. One bolt for sliding fore/aft. One bolt for angle.

Old 02-21-21, 10:43 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
There was only one small piece still floating this morning. Water temp is up to a balmy 42F. Had a nice swim this morning.
Old 02-21-21, 10:57 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
There was only one small piece still floating this morning. Water temp is up to a balmy 42F. Had a nice swim this morning.
Hopefully it survived with little damage?
Old 02-21-21, 11:02 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Thomsons are always nice!

This Race Face arrangement makes the new saddle dial-in period the easiest. One bolt for sliding fore/aft. One bolt for angle.

That looks easy! So often you lose your tilt setting when you adjust fore/aft, especially with single-bolt types! The Cannondale has one of those single-bolt ones with ridges on the mating surfaces, so the adjustment is kinda granular. And years ago, I messed one of those up by accidentally clamping it with the ridges on top of each other, instead of the ridges being in the corresponding trough. Then it slipped and ground the ridges down, and subsequent failed attempts at clamping it tight, and failing eventually made the whole thing useless. I hope to avoid that this time.

Old 02-21-21, 11:14 AM
big john

Too windy for road riding near home yesterday so I drove to a mountain bike trail about 45 miles from home. It was nice there and I got really tired. I didn't take pictures but found some on the web. First, I rode to the beach from the trailhead. I didn't want to leave but climbing awaited.

First long climb has nice views. There's the beach where I was a little while ago.
Old 02-21-21, 11:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
New tool purchase this morning. I have a jig problem, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-21, 11:19 AM
big john

Lots of easy trail riding.

After that climb comes the featured descent. I couldn't find any pics showing the technical parts, but it's really fun if you like ruts, holes, and rocks.
Here is a poor quality video of the descent. Hard to tell how rough it is. There was a group of young people at the top. I insisted they go first, so they did.

Those right switchbacks are hard for me, I don't have the right turn gene.

Last edited by big john; 02-21-21 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For big john:
Old 02-21-21, 11:20 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Should have left the level hanging on the peg. "I set my saddle up with a level rather than eyeballing it like a rank amateur. Then, I tightened up the clamps and realized it moved a bit. Looking at it, it appears it's close enough."

SMFH
I always use a bubble level as a reference when I futz with my saddle. I sometimes mark the tube with a grease pencil.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-21-21, 11:33 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by LAJ
Hopefully it survived with little damage?
Don't really know yet. The pipe from the pump separated, and I can't get it back together so the power is off and I can't run the system. I may have some leaks at some of the valves based what happened when I vented the filter and allowed water to backflow out of it. Pool service comes on Wednesdays, so I plan to wait for their assessment. Good thing is the skimmers do not appear cracked, the filter has not cracked, and I doubt anything underground would have frozen, so parts and labor to repair should be no more than a thousand or two. We don't see any cracks in the shell, and we're not loosing water. If I'm right, I consider myself lucky.

The plumber that is a friend of my wife's boss is coming today to finish the repair of the water heater. He fixed the pipe break the other day, but when the power went off, the freeze protection in the heater did not work, and an internal part broke from frozen water. Had the parts overnighted from the manufacturer, and they arrived yesterday. Hopefully, that takes care of that.

All-in-all we've just been inconvenienced as total repair costs shouldn't be more than a few thousand bucks. We were lucky to catch the pipe burst in the attic before it flooded the dining room too bad or we would be repairing a lot more than a couple of sheets of drywall. Guy across the street has a large pile of carpet and pad sitting by the curb, so I expect he has had pretty significant water damage to walls and ceilings as well. There are still some areas in our town that do not have power after six days.
Old 02-21-21, 11:35 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I always use a bubble level as a reference when I futz with my saddle. I sometimes mark the tube with a grease pencil.
When I was setting up the Canyon, I drew what the bubble looked like on the Ritchey, which is my best set-up bike, and replicated that. Then I noticed that on the Bianchi I often found myself skooching back. Checked it and sure enough the bubble was closer to the back than on the Ritchey. Fixed it and no I don't skooch anymore.

Old 02-21-21, 11:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by genejockey
When I was setting up the Canyon, I drew what the bubble looked like on the Ritchey, which is my best set-up bike, and replicated that. Then I noticed that on the Bianchi I often found myself skooching back. Checked it and sure enough the bubble was closer to the back than on the Ritchey. Fixed it and no I don't skooch anymore.
Same saddle, I assume.
Old 02-21-21, 11:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Don't really know yet. The pipe from the pump separated, and I can't get it back together so the power is off and I can't run the system. I may have some leaks at some of the valves based what happened when I vented the filter and allowed water to backflow out of it. Pool service comes on Wednesdays, so I plan to wait for their assessment. Good thing is the skimmers do not appear cracked, the filter has not cracked, and I doubt anything underground would have frozen, so parts and labor to repair should be no more than a thousand or two. We don't see any cracks in the shell, and we're not loosing water. If I'm right, I consider myself lucky.

The plumber that is a friend of my wife's boss is coming today to finish the repair of the water heater. He fixed the pipe break the other day, but when the power went off, the freeze protection in the heater did not work, and an internal part broke from frozen water. Had the parts overnighted from the manufacturer, and they arrived yesterday. Hopefully, that takes care of that.

All-in-all we've just been inconvenienced as total repair costs shouldn't be more than a few thousand bucks. We were lucky to catch the pipe burst in the attic before it flooded the dining room too bad or we would be repairing a lot more than a couple of sheets of drywall. Guy across the street has a large pile of carpet and pad sitting by the curb, so I expect he has had pretty significant water damage to walls and ceilings as well. There are still some areas in our town that do not have power after six days.
Is TX headed for an insurance crisis?
Old 02-21-21, 11:45 AM
Mojo31
-------

Is TX headed for an insurance crisis?
Probably. Our premium went up quite a bit this year. I'll bet even more next.
Old 02-21-21, 11:54 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
FYI: I noticed that the act of tightening the saddle clam pushes the nose downward. So now my saddle isn't 100% level, but it may be close enough. #MechanicalTips
Get a 2 bolt micro adjustable seat post. I prefer Thompson. Lighter. They are fantastic.
or I recently purchased a Kore 2 bolt seat post to appeal to my inner weight weeny. 238 grams. And was only $25.00 on fleabay.
Old 02-21-21, 11:57 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
That looks heavy.
Old 02-21-21, 12:07 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
That's fine. The flat part should be level. Although, because the nose arches down a bit at the tip, you could potentially angle it up a bit.

For those playing along at home, Velo Vol is talking about the Fizik Kurve for Snake. Same shape as the Fizik Arione.

Nah, let's see what's behind door number 2.
Old 02-21-21, 12:09 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Same saddle, I assume.
Yep. Back in 2007, when I learned that saddle had been discontinued and the company was out of business, I bought 3 of the remaining 5 I found at Palo Alto Bicycles. The Canyon got the last one.

Old 02-21-21, 12:17 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22573 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
New tool purchase this morning. I have a jig problem, but it was too good of a deal to pass up.
The jig is up?
Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.