Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 12:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Behind or in front?

That's why I sit.
powerful dad joke. don't waste the talent.
Old 02-23-21, 01:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2612 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Behind or in front?.
Both, but not in the same manner you described. Behind, we would do IP intervals, where I would sit on the motor and yell "up" or "down" depending on my desired pace. We would also do rotations every lap where he would roll up track and I could control the speed by upping the pace if I wanted, or vice versa. He would hold the same speed that I had when I rolled up track.
Old 02-23-21, 02:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I already know the answers probably, but always wonder why when looking at framesets there's always the random missing fork, seat post, or bars. Especially when it's something that all really goes together and none of it makes sense apart. Then you see all manner of random parts otherwise for sale scattered about...................crash replacements is my guess. I
Old 02-23-21, 03:01 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Behind or in front?

Riding behind is easy and fun. But it's an entirely different experience when you're in front and the moto driver has his hand on your back and is pushing you up to speed.

That's why I sit.
I have chased the motor, dived off the banking, team pursuit and every other combo but never pushed by the motor.

My wife at SDV team pursuit motor work. Probably similar to @tmonk

Here is me at Carson similar routine different motor

Likes For Hermes:
Old 02-23-21, 04:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I couldn't help but peek into the "1000w ebike" topic. At that point you've pretty much got a bicycle combined with an electric "liquor cycle". You know, a DUI scooter. I feel like folks geek out on the cool electronics and it's an "end around" the law for using motorized stuff on greenways, but still to have enough "ooomph" to get out on a real road at appreciable speed.

Just, interesting. Even if it isn't your thing, worth a look see in that topic.
Old 02-23-21, 09:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
A friend who was a good road rider got an e- bike after a heart issue. He modified it to go 40 mph. He was with our group on a hilly ride and pushed me up a longish grade. I've been pushed before by strong riders but this was very different. It felt like he was going to push me off the bike and I had to twist against him which made my back hurt. I didn't like it.
Old 02-23-21, 09:34 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I couldn't help but peek into the "1000w ebike" topic. At that point you've pretty much got a bicycle combined with an electric "liquor cycle". You know, a DUI scooter. I feel like folks geek out on the cool electronics and it's an "end around" the law for using motorized stuff on greenways, but still to have enough "ooomph" to get out on a real road at appreciable speed.

Just, interesting. Even if it isn't your thing, worth a look see in that topic.
How about 20 kilowatts?
Simon Cowell broke his back riding an e-bike … or did he? - CyclingTips
Old 02-23-21, 10:54 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I love track. I agree it's totally worth the drive. I just find it's not worth all the standing around.
The standing around is the best part.

I miss Rock Hill. The most fun I ever had racing, by far. Been to TTown but haven't ridden there, looks nice though. If I ever race again it'll likely be track.
Old 02-24-21, 09:44 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I appreciate that. Though I'd point out you're a guy with kids who isn't racing. In my experience, I'd go to t-town (2 hours away) and I'd be gone the entire day and I'd get a bit over an hour on the bike. That versus going to a crit, racing back to back and being gone a 1/2 day and ending up with 90-120 minutes of race time plus warm up and cool down.

Often efficiency is the whole ball of wax in keeping folks engaged. As a single dad I'd bring my dad to the races. Someone would entertain him, or he'd sit in chair and play a game and watch. He'd often help the officials, and in fact when I raced on the track he was 'lap guy' and he's flip the laps cards and ring the bell.

I love track racing. And it's probably by far my best discipline. I can rip the hell out of a 16 minute race. Maybe I'll race up in Canada when the border open again. Anything is possible.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 02-24-21, 10:14 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
IMO, the standing around part of track racing is directly a function of what is on the race schedule. At the LAVRA timed series at Carson, racing starts at 8:30 AM and finishes at 2:30 to 3 PM. Sprints are in the morning and endurance in the afternoon. So if I want to do a 500 meter and team sprint plus individual pursuit and team pursuit, I will arrive at 7:30AM and leave at 3:30PM for 4 races totaling maybe 8 minutes of racing and a lot of trying to stay warmed up trainer time.

Contrasting that to mass start races, where one may do a scratch, points and miss n out an evening of racing with total racing time maybe 30 minutes depending on the number of laps for each race. Higher categories do more laps and take more time.

A structured training session with my coach will take 3 hours and consist of of a 40 lap self paced warmup followed by a 20 lap motor burnout. It takes about 15 minutes for him to organize the session and for us to change gears. Then for the next couple of hours we have 3 to 4 workout efforts in teams and motor drills with 10 to 15 minutes of rest between efforts. IMO, this is about as much and as hard as anyone can workout at the track. And we do the efforts in teams with similar ability. So it does not get much better, safer and more fun than this and worth a one way 2 hour drive for us.
Old 02-24-21, 10:31 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I appreciate that. Though I'd point out you're a guy with kids who isn't racing. In my experience, I'd go to t-town (2 hours away) and I'd be gone the entire day and I'd get a bit over an hour on the bike. That versus going to a crit, racing back to back and being gone a 1/2 day and ending up with 90-120 minutes of race time plus warm up and cool down.

Often efficiency is the whole ball of wax in keeping folks engaged. As a single dad I'd bring my dad to the races. Someone would entertain him, or he'd sit in chair and play a game and watch. He'd often help the officials, and in fact when I raced on the track he was 'lap guy' and he's flip the laps cards and ring the bell.

I love track racing. And it's probably by far my best discipline. I can rip the hell out of a 16 minute race. Maybe I'll race up in Canada when the border open again. Anything is possible.
Yeah, it's certainly a fair point, I was mostly being disingenuous. I mostly just don't enjoy crits that much. If I wasn't so fat I'd enjoy road races, but they're usually hilly. I like the rules and stuff on track. People do less stupid stuff out of the blue (for the most part, I've certainly seen stupid stuff, and I'm still salty years later about a DQ I got when someone I was drafting seized up and I was forced to duck under him below the line.... he pulled out immediately....).
Old 02-24-21, 10:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking it. I do love it. But the 'it takes too long' is a pretty consistent tale for people.
Old 02-24-21, 10:52 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Years ago, Rock Hill used to do mass start and sprints on Friday Nights. So we would do a Scratch race, then a round of sprints, then points, round of sprints....

And yes, there would be 3 categories or so for mass start stuff. Generally, racing started at 6 or 7 and finished somewhere around 11. And yes, there was a lot of sitting around, but it didn't really feel like it. Since I did both the mass start and sprint stuff, I was spending my downtime swapping gears and catching my breath. So, it never felt like I was sitting around.

The last couple of years, they've done mass start races on Friday nights and TT/Sprints on Saturdays. I've been doing just the TT/IP and Sprint days. There's a lot more sitting around than is necessary, and we've asked that they move the sprints up - last year, TTs/IPs started at 9 and Sprints at 2. But the TTs were usually done by 10:30 or 11, so we had to sit around for 3 hours waiting for Sprints. Then the Sprint session would run til 4:30 or 5. (I generally don't mind, and often need, the 20 min breaks between my sprints.)

I'm optimistic that this year, Sprints will start at 11 or as soon as the TTs/IPs are done, assuming they go past 11.
Old 02-24-21, 11:29 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Years ago, Rock Hill used to do mass start and sprints on Friday Nights. So we would do a Scratch race, then a round of sprints, then points, round of sprints....

And yes, there would be 3 categories or so for mass start stuff. Generally, racing started at 6 or 7 and finished somewhere around 11. And yes, there was a lot of sitting around, but it didn't really feel like it. Since I did both the mass start and sprint stuff, I was spending my downtime swapping gears and catching my breath. So, it never felt like I was sitting around.

The last couple of years, they've done mass start races on Friday nights and TT/Sprints on Saturdays. I've been doing just the TT/IP and Sprint days. There's a lot more sitting around than is necessary, and we've asked that they move the sprints up - last year, TTs/IPs started at 9 and Sprints at 2. But the TTs were usually done by 10:30 or 11, so we had to sit around for 3 hours waiting for Sprints. Then the Sprint session would run til 4:30 or 5. (I generally don't mind, and often need, the 20 min breaks between my sprints.)

I'm optimistic that this year, Sprints will start at 11 or as soon as the TTs/IPs are done, assuming they go past 11.
Yeah, I loved those nights that had everything. I also didn't feel like I was sitting around too much. We'd do a bunch of different mass starts, often by the time I'd recovered it was time for another one. It never lasted until 11 for me because I never made it past the first or second round of sprints....
Old 02-24-21, 12:30 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
We just do the weekly racing nights. I don't go a ton. Last few years the only nights I end up racing are the Madison nights. Son races a bit. A lot 2 years ago. Fun stuff. 3 races for each category per night. Duck out of the shop at like 4:30. Drive through Chicago traffic and then up to Northbrook. Plenty of time to get gear ready and going. Ride "warmup" for a long time. Races start around 6:45 or so. Usually take off after the second session if the boy was bored or he had a lot of school stuff to do. Then grab something to eat on the way home. Usually home by like 10-10:30. Lights at the velodrome go off at 10:30 (park district) and there have been many times they have still been running and had the lights go out.

Makes for an unproductive Friday and usually you're still so amped up from being out there that I can't get to bed or sleep until at least 1am.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-24-21, 02:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Loving my $100 Giro Vanquish mips. Been about 5 rides now and it's awesome. Vision is amazing, fits better, quieter. I get complaining about the visor, then again......$50 for a visor complaining about issues when folks won't flinch and buy a bunch of crap $100+ sunglasses they wind up scratching, losing, or breaking.

I went online and bought a spare visor for it.

I'm going to see if a team mate wants to take my GP TT tires that have like 20 miles on them and trade a whole pair for a single clincher GP5000 in 25mm. I don't need 23mm for aero on the road bike or training wheelset of the TT bike. No point. The comfort gain and protection in case of a tire pinch situation versus dinging a rim would be nice. I feel that's a fair trade so long as the GP5000 has plenty of life. I've got 25's on the rear, and one spare 25 that'll come off the disc wheel when I put the Michelin Power TT tire on there. So just need a single.
Old 02-25-21, 06:34 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Just coming off one of my longest shifts ever. 21.5 hours, doing a system cutover. Get a few hours sleep and back at it.

I have no idea how they require doctors under even more stress to do this (and more) regularly and not make mistakes. I stared at the wrong spreadsheet for 30 seconds before I realized it was not even remotely similar to what I was looking for.
Old 02-25-21, 09:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Got the message through my healthcare system's eChart thingy that I forgot I'd been dreading. Even though I'm a bit younger than typical, at my physical 6 weeks ago, my primary care provider put in a referral for me to get my first colonoscopy and they were writing to set up an appointment.
Old 02-25-21, 09:27 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by himespau
Got the message through my healthcare system's eChart thingy that I forgot I'd been dreading. Even though I'm a bit younger than typical, at my physical 6 weeks ago, my primary care provider put in a referral for me to get my first colonoscopy and they were writing to set up an appointment.
I remember my first colonoscopy - I came out of twighlight sedation right at the "last second" and told the doc, "You didn't even take me out for dinner first."

I am sure it's not the first time he heard that but I blame the drugs.

Old 02-25-21, 11:55 AM
topflightpro

I've had the manual prostate exam - I'm glad they don't do that any more - but not the colonoscopy... yet.
Old 02-25-21, 11:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I'm old. I've had all kinds of stuff up my ass.

You can say ass.
Old 02-25-21, 12:08 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I've had the manual prostate exam - I'm glad they don't do that any more.
They don't? I thought I was just too young for that to start. I've had the PSA test a couple times, but I've been told that test has so many false positives that it's not very useful.
Old 02-25-21, 12:15 PM
topflightpro

My doctor said they didn't need to anymore.
Old 02-25-21, 12:27 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

My doctor said they didn't need to anymore.
Maybe you've given your doc a reason to not want to do it.

Old 02-25-21, 12:27 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

i had one done before the pandemic started at a fairly well respected hospital.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.