Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-21, 08:48 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Greek, all Greek to me. Might as well be Chinese.
Some of it is Greek to me, and I was in the biz.
Old 02-27-21, 08:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Did one hour of fake miles. Roads look wet and possibly icy, but am hopeful to ride this afternoon if it’s safe.
Old 02-27-21, 09:05 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD

This one has GOT to be better than the last one.
Nope. Worse for me.
Old 02-27-21, 09:09 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Originally Posted by genejockey
Somebody needs to tell that to the 500,000 consumers who bought them last year.

Seriously, there are a hell of a lot of them on the road, and a hell of a lot of satisfied customers. And, really, we've been the beta testers for the internal combustion-driven automobile for 130 years. Why should this be different?
about 17 million cars are bought every year so your number is 3% of total sales. They are also very expensive so the market is limited. Until recently we were energy independent...
Old 02-27-21, 09:23 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Nope. Worse for me.
Old 02-27-21, 09:25 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts

Seriously, there are a hell of a lot of them on the road, and a hell of a lot of satisfied customers. And, really, we've been the beta testers for the internal combustion-driven automobile for 130 years. Why should this be different?
My next car purchase is going to be for a new family truckster, if not for that, I would consider an EV with the limited mileage out second car gets. Until you can get 500+ miles on a charge with a recharge in 15 minutes you won’t have wide adoption imo.
Old 02-27-21, 09:35 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Sleeping in, I see.
Got any new snow drifts to burrow through today?
Old 02-27-21, 09:43 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

I'm not anti E car but it needs to evolve before it is viable for replacing carbon (crabon) emitters. I would get that low end tesla for the performance if I had a little more scratch.
Old 02-27-21, 09:44 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Got any new snow drifts to burrow through today?
No blowing snow - too heavy. But, it's windy AF.
Old 02-27-21, 10:08 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've got a Williams Sonoma gift card burning a hole in my pocket, and I've been meaning to pick up a French Press with it, a steel one, so I can travel with it. Saw some French Press advice from Coffee Sage James Hoffman -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8
Interesting. I just let it steep for 4 minutes, push it down, and pour. He suggests letting it steep for 4 minutes, then stir, and wait another 5 minutes. I can try that, but it doubles the waiting time.

#TheWaitingIsTheHardestPart
Old 02-27-21, 10:18 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Interesting. I just let it steep for 4 minutes, push it down, and pour. He suggests letting it steep for 4 minutes, then stir, and wait another 5 minutes. I can try that, but it doubles the waiting time.

We have a French press on the boat, where LSS generally makes the coffee. She has a set of rituals involving blooming the coffee with a little water before brewing. Tastes good.
Old 02-27-21, 10:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
I'm reconfiguring the Assaults for QRs and getting them set up with tubeless G-Ones (fast gravel tires) so that I can slap them on the Haanjo in anticipation of some riding that doesn't necessarily include long stretches of ice. One of the tires was being a pain and refused to snap in to place with my little charger canister. I decided to take the wheel to a service station that has a great compressor that's never failed to seat a tire for me... and the compressor hose is gone.

I drive around for the better part of an hour, looking for and hitting up a few gas stations with compressors available. One is dead. Another one, that I had to pay for, is some "fancy" compressor that doesn't work for ****. Finally, frustrated, I head home but decide to stop off at the gas station a couple blocks away. They always have a hose out, but it has historically sucked, which is why I didn't go there earlier. Lo and behold, the tire snaps on almost immediately (I did have to massage one section where the witness line wasn't visible, but it cracked in to place without too much effort). *sigh*
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-27-21, 10:29 AM
WhyFi

He's a former World Barista Champion - it's worth givin' it a go based on his recommendation.
Old 02-27-21, 10:31 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

He's a former World Barista Champion - it's worth givin' it a go based on his recommendation.
Yeah, I can give it a try when I have the time to kill. Mrs datlas is sometimes impatient for her coffee.
Old 02-27-21, 11:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
about 17 million cars are bought every year so your number is 3% of total sales. They are also very expensive so the market is limited. Until recently we were energy independent...
And what percentage was it 5 years ago? The Tesla Model 3 starts at $38,000, which is actually LESS than the average new car price of $40,000.

I'm not anti E car but it needs to evolve before it is viable for replacing carbon (crabon) emitters. I would get that low end tesla for the performance if I had a little more scratch.
It IS evolving, as we watch. 10 years ago, Teslas were curiosities, and pretty much everyone expected them to become the next Delorean, or Bricklin - big fanfare, but never really made in any numbers. Last year Tesla sold half a million cars, and now other makers are increasingly putting out EVs.

My next car purchase is going to be for a new family truckster, if not for that, I would consider an EV with the limited mileage out second car gets. Until you can get 500+ miles on a charge with a recharge in 15 minutes you won’t have wide adoption imo.
Range is between 244 and 520 miles, depending on the model. 15 minutes of charging at a Tesla Supercharge station will get you 140 - 175 miles, depending on model. People keep talking about range and charge time as if everyone is taking 1000 mile road trips all the time. But are they? How often does your average person go more than 200 miles away on a single trip? How often do you?

Right now, about every other week, I have to fill up the Dodge It was every week when I wasn't WFH 3 out of 5 days. It costs about $50. It's not really convenient for me to do so. In the mornings I'm on my way to work. In the evenings I'm on my home and in neither case is there a cheap filling station along my route. That's our current (haha) model. Now, suppose that every night when I get home I just plug in, so in the morning the battery is always at 100%. I never have to go to a filling station, and I'm never more than maybe 50 miles into my total range.

Sure, Teslas are expensive, and it costs money to install a charging station in your house. But you won't be buying gas anymore, either. And it's getting cheaper all the time. 110 year ago, cars were too expensive for the average guy. Even the Model T cost more than the average guy made in a year. That changed, but EVs are becoming more affordable even faster than that.

Now, looking at my car, I obviously like fast cars with big, burbly V8s. But, you know, 100 years ago, people liked horses, too.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-27-21, 11:11 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mrs datlas bought a French press. The coffee is actually a lot better than drip.

PITA to clean, though.

Mrs. GeneJockey decided to give up coffee at one point. So I started making French Press instead of the drip machine. It was perfect - two big cups, with the second still drinking temp when I got to it.

Of course, then came the day she said, "Can I have some?" and that was the end of both her being off coffee AND using the French Press.

Old 02-27-21, 11:18 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11955 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS
Nope. Worse for me.
Think positive. Keep hope alive.
Old 02-27-21, 11:18 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

They're not good if, like me, you wake up needing coffee NOW. This is the advantage of a machine with a thermos carafe - I set it up before bed when I'm still thinking reasonably clearly, and in the morning when I'm running on 3 cylinders, it's ready for me immediately. No grinding, no waiting for water to boil, no waiting for it to steep. Ready.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-27-21, 11:19 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I tried his technique for post-lunch coffee. Tough to notice any big difference but it came out smooth and delicious.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-27-21, 11:21 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I decided to test my hypothesis, which is that if I order another BB, the one that's somewhere in the mail will appear. Mind you, it's not possible anymore to do the control experiment, so the test will be inconclusive. But I'll end up with at least one BB.

Old 02-27-21, 11:35 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
And what percentage was it 5 years ago? The Tesla Model 3 starts at $38,000, which is actually LESS than the average new car price of $40,000.

It IS evolving, as we watch. 10 years ago, Teslas were curiosities, and pretty much everyone expected them to become the next Delorean, or Bricklin - big fanfare, but never really made in any numbers. Last year Tesla sold half a million cars, and now other makers are increasingly putting out EVs.

Range is between 244 and 520 miles, depending on the model. 15 minutes of charging at a Tesla Supercharge station will get you 140 - 175 miles, depending on model. People keep talking about range and charge time as if everyone is taking 1000 mile road trips all the time. But are they? How often does your average person go more than 200 miles away on a single trip? How often do you?

Right now, about every other week, I have to fill up the Dodge It was every week when I wasn't WFH 3 out of 5 days. It costs about $50. It's not really convenient for me to do so. In the mornings I'm on my way to work. In the evenings I'm on my home and in neither case is there a cheap filling station along my route. That's our current (haha) model. Now, suppose that every night when I get home I just plug in, so in the morning the battery is always at 100%. I never have to go to a filling station, and I'm never more than maybe 50 miles into my total range.

Sure, Teslas are expensive, and it costs money to install a charging station in your house. But you won't be buying gas anymore, either. And it's getting cheaper all the time. 110 year ago, cars were too expensive for the average guy. Even the Model T cost more than the average guy made in a year. That changed, but EVs are becoming more affordable even faster than that.

Now, looking at my car, I obviously like fast cars with big, burbly V8s. But, you know, 100 years ago, people liked horses, too.
Agree with all of that. I could really get into an electric vehicle if it was the right kind. I’m not a fan of Tesla, and have seen some really poor quality control, but cars like the Taycan, e-Tron, Mustang Mach E, and upcoming Audi e-Tron GT have really piqued my interest. Of course, they are really expensive and beyond my budget, but with tax credits may be workable at some point. Don’t care at all for cars like the Chevy Volt. An EV would fit in our lifestyle as I rarely drive more than 50 or 60 miles in a day, a typical day (at least now) is 15 max, and we hardly ever drive more than 200 miles. But, if we got an EV now, we would just keep a gas SUV/CUV for my wife and as a travel car.

I also like the big, burbly V8s, and like that mine can hit 60 in 3.8, but there are EVs that can beat that.

Last edited by Mojo31; 02-27-21 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 11:39 AM
WhyFi

I tried his technique for post-lunch coffee. Tough to notice any big difference but it came out smooth and delicious.
Did you weigh out both your grounds and your water?

#coffeescience
Old 02-27-21, 11:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I decided to test my hypothesis, which is that if I order another BB, the one that's somewhere in the mail will appear. Mind you, it's not possible anymore to do the control experiment, so the test will be inconclusive. But I'll end up with at least one BB.
Just cancel your order, and it will show up the next day.

I ordered some door mats for the office a couple of weeks ago. They never showed, and Amazon said they didn’t know where they were on Thursday, so I cancelled the order. They were delivered yesterday by the new, more efficient postal service.
Old 02-27-21, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Just cancel your order, and it will show up the next day.

I ordered some door mats for the office a couple of weeks ago. They never showed, and Amazon said they didn’t know where they were on Thursday, so I cancelled the order. They were delivered yesterday by the new, more efficient postal service.
IN 10 years of collecting watches, the vast majority bought on Ebay and shipped via USPS, I only ever had a problem with a couple shipments. All the others arrived within 3-5 days in great condition. Not to go all P&R, but what's been done to the USPS is a dirty rotten shame.

Old 02-27-21, 11:47 AM
WhyFi

The ol' "XX% of accidents happen within a X mile radius of home" stat should give at least some insight in to the typical distance of most automobile trips - it's really not that long. The wife and I determined that, even if we were to be saddled by the electric-only range of a PHEV, which is typically much less than the range of a fully EV, we'd still be able to get by without gas most of the year; the exceptions would be family gatherings (remember when we had those?) for the holiday, which might put us just out of range, the occasional day trip, and the long road trips to VA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.