Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's harder for 50 Plus- Running (Jogging) or Bicycling ?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's harder for 50 Plus- Running (Jogging) or Bicycling ?

Old 02-27-21, 06:46 AM
Hit Factor

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL 5 Disc, Trek Fuel Ex 5.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rut3556
... as it reminded me too much of Marine boot camp!
For me it was the Police Academy.
Likes For Hit Factor:
Old 02-27-21, 07:43 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Running is harder for me but I still like to do it semi regularly to maintain the ability. There are real life situations where it could come in handy, and not just for when being chased by bears! 5k is the most I do, but I have placed in my age group on timed events several times. I suspect doing much longer runs regularly would beat up my body, while doing long bike rides won't.
Old 02-27-21, 02:36 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by y0x8
A bicycle has wheels.
Any wheel, no matter how big or small, is a flywheel.
And the flywheel is essentially an energy storage device, an energy accumulator.
The battery of energy can be charged and can give it back.
Where does the linear inertia of the bike and the rider come from?
Of course, from the untwisted flywheel wheel.
An example of removing energy from a wheel is a dynamo.
The mechanical energy of the flywheel is converted into electrical energy.

On fixed gear power wheel flywheel connected to the cranks - pedals hard, and Cycling with the free flow of energy in the crankset - pedals not, reverse the mechanical connection is broken due to the overrunning clutch.
Thus, the mechanical energy of the entire rider bike is always present on the fixed gear crank pedals.
In a transmission with an intermediate shaft, this energy is not even added, but multiplied.
We don't call it a flywheel when the rotational inertia is insignificant. The linear momentum comes from you forcing the wheel around - the opposite effect of a flywheel.

I don't mean to pick, that's why I originally asked you to explain in non-physics terms. Energy added or multiplied by the transmission isn't a thing - just some advice here, take or leave it, but you should find a another way to describe your concept. The physics analogy doesn't work.

Last edited by wphamilton; 02-27-21 at 07:35 PM.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-28-21, 12:23 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
We don't call it a flywheel when the rotational inertia is insignificant. The linear momentum comes from you forcing the wheel around - the opposite effect of a flywheel.

I don't mean to pick, that's why I originally asked you to explain in non-physics terms. Energy added or multiplied by the transmission isn't a thing - just some advice here, take or leave it, but you should find a another way to describe your concept. The physics analogy doesn't work.
Let's get away from physics and weigh the bikes. We measure their average and maximum speed.
This fixed fear weighs 10.4 kg, average speed 20 km / h, maximum speed 40 km / h:

But this bike weighs 17.5 kg, the average speed is 22.2 km / h, the maximum speed is 47.5 km / h:

If it's not physics, then it's magic.
Or the wild euphoria of owning a new thing?
What's wrong with physics?
Why is everything turned upside down?
The maximum speed of 47.5 km / h is not the limit for this magic bike, which accelerates itself.
Fixed gear and so go by magic, they do not even need to turn the connecting rods - they turn themselves.
On this bike, the long-range connecting rods spin twice as fast as the fixed gear!
Magically spin themselves!

I am an old, decrepit, sick, infirm old man of 100 kg weight, with an average power of 70-80 W, became a wizard, spat on all the laws of physics and began to drive even faster!
And even added power to 110-120 watts!!!
He must be crazy ...
It is mystic fixed gear.
It is not easy to put into words. There is an almost mystical connection between a fixed-gear cyclist and bicycle: it feels like an extension of your body to a greater extent than does a freewheel-equipped machine. If you are an enthusiastic, vigorous cyclist, you really should give it a try.
Sheldon Brown
Even the great Sheldon Brown could not explain scientifically the physics of fixed gear, and applied not a physical, but a mystical term in the description.
It seems like fixed gear is very simple, but in fact the scientific physics of fixed gear is very complex.

Sheldon Brown almost made it up New Fixed Gear.

I feel very clearly on my own skin the mystical connection between myself and the fixed gear bike, as an extension of my body.
To fixed gear who did not ride it, you need to get used to some time.
The New Fixed Gear also needs a habit.
No one in the world has ever ridden it, so I can share my feelings a little.
I'm still dumbfounded and not used to it.
You drive like a limousine.
And I'm not used to it yet because of the short time riding it - it's like getting used to fixed gear - it should be some time.
On fixed gear, you get the joy of driving and euphoria like a drug.
On New Fixed Gear, the buzz is harder and more deadly.
When, after a trip to the New Fixed Gear in the garage, I changed the bike and immediately sat on the fixed gear, there was a moment that I kind of unlearned fixed gear again - somehow it seemed fragile to me.
The internal energy of the entire New Fixed Gear system-the racer, turned out to be simply stunning.
I was having a great time!​​​​​​​
It was like I was under the influence of drugs and I was experiencing a state of euphoria from drugs.
​​​​​​​All in all, full of Buzz!!!

Last edited by y0x8; 02-28-21 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 06:25 AM
wphamilton

Let's get away from physics and weigh the bikes. We measure their average and maximum speed.
This fixed fear weighs 10.4 kg, average speed 20 km / h, maximum speed 40 km / h:

But this bike weighs 17.5 kg, the average speed is 22.2 km / h, the maximum speed is 47.5 km / h:

If it's not physics, then it's magic.

it's almost entirely your position on the two bikes, and how you've adapted to riding them.

Or the wild euphoria of owning a new thing?
What's wrong with physics?

It seems like fixed gear is very simple, but in fact the scientific physics of fixed gear is very complex.

Nothing is wrong with physics, when it's real physics. I'm sorry, but what you're presenting isn't really physics. If I didn't feel you were earnest, I'd be insulted because people trying to BS you will often resort to "dazzle them with science" and the fake science is insulting. But I think you ARE earnest, so I'm trying to help.

[QUOTE]
I feel very clearly on my own skin the mystical connection between myself and the fixed gear bike, as an extension of my body.
And I'm not used to it yet because of the short time riding it - it's like getting used to fixed gear - it should be some time.
When, after a trip to the New Fixed Gear in the garage, I changed the bike and immediately sat on the fixed gear, there was a moment that I kind of unlearned fixed gear again - somehow it seemed fragile to me.
<snipped>
I was having a great time![
/QUOTE]

I much prefer your subjective interpretation here.

Last edited by wphamilton; 02-28-21 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 07:03 AM
y0x8
Ups!

[QUOTE=wphamilton;21944914]it's almost entirely your position on the two bikes, and how you've adapted to riding them.

Nothing is wrong with physics, when it's real physics. I'm sorry, but what you're presenting isn't really physics. If I didn't feel you were earnest, I'd be insulted because people trying to BS you will often resort to "dazzle them with science" and the fake science is insulting. But I think you ARE earnest, so I'm trying to help.

<snipped>
I was having a great time![
/QUOTE]

I much prefer your subjective interpretation here.
Since I have already tried New Fixed Gear, I subjectively feel and even know that I will go even faster in the new season.
This is just on the available pre-gear 177 inches will go.
The next stage I will have is a 200-inch transmission.
I will not paint the physics of magic, but I will show the star 15t for 200 inches:

(48T/15t)x(53T/22t)x26"=200"
And I would also like to ask you, on what basis are patents (inventions) made - on the basis of magic-magic or still on physical principles?
Do you seriously think that inventions are made just at the click of a finger?

Last edited by y0x8; 02-28-21 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-28-21, 07:13 AM
wphamilton

[(48T/15t)x(53T/22t)x26"=200"
And I would also like to ask you, on what basis are patents (inventions) made - on the basis of magic-magic or still on physical principles?
Do you seriously think that inventions are made just at the click of a finger?
Eh? If you want to argue, I'm not interested. I wish you good luck with your 200 gear inch energy multiplier.
Old 02-28-21, 07:30 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Eh? If you want to argue, I'm not interested. I wish you good luck with your 200 gear inch energy multiplier.
I'm sorry if anything is wrong.
I was not going to argue with anyone, but just show the phenomenon of the new program as it is.
There were no such programs in the world, it is completely new.
And no one but me can say anything about her. While on this gear, I "overtook" my standard fixed gear - this shows that the idea is working.
I will continue to work on this program no matter what.
If I really want to amuse my ego, I can document the scientific discovery of the phenomenon of fixed gear recovery.
The formula for the discovery has already been drawn up, it is up to the scientific physical society to formalize and prove it.
And I will say this about inventions - they are secondary to physical discoveries.
On the basis of scientific discoveries, inventions are made in whole bundles in their field of discovery.
I already have a lot of projects on the new gear-both cargo fixes and snowmobiles and stappers.
A lot of toys were born right out of nowhere, such as have never been before.
And all because of the opening of the recovery.
So these constructions would lie in ignorance, no one would know about them.
Old 02-28-21, 07:39 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
IMO More impact = harder
Running / Jogging harder than Cycling
Likes For joesch:
Old 02-28-21, 08:47 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by joesch
IMO More impact = harder
This pretty much, plus running is a more intense exercise for a given time. That makes it harder in my opinion.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 02-28-21, 10:27 AM
y0x8
Ups!

Originally Posted by joesch
IMO More impact = harder
I once rode a motorcycle in the woods.
In parallel to me, a man ran with his training.
I love to photograph the forest and nature.
So I would stop, adjust the camera, and take pictures.
And that runner passed me riding a motorcycle.
What had he seen in the woods?
He couldn't see anything, just a strip of road ahead of him and a wall of forest around him.
I've seen the wonders of the forest.
Dew, grass, bugs, the sun, the play of shadows, cobwebs, leaves, flowers.
So I don't like stupid running. It should be combined with the contemplation of nature.
Then running is a walk and that's good.
Old 02-28-21, 01:29 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
This pretty much, plus running is a more intense exercise for a given time. That makes it harder in my opinion.
Very true.
Depending on the definition for harder, it could be answered WRT impact or effort or other criteria.
Old 02-28-21, 05:06 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
I once rode a motorcycle in the woods.
In parallel to me, a man ran with his training.
I love to photograph the forest and nature.
So I would stop, adjust the camera, and take pictures.
And that runner passed me riding a motorcycle.
What had he seen in the woods?
He couldn't see anything, just a strip of road ahead of him and a wall of forest around him.
I've seen the wonders of the forest.
Dew, grass, bugs, the sun, the play of shadows, cobwebs, leaves, flowers.
So I don't like stupid running. It should be combined with the contemplation of nature.
Then running is a walk and that's good.
That's an odd comparison to make. The vast majority of off-road motorcyclists spend zero time stopping to smell the flowers. The vast majority of people traveling by foot through forests see far more of the dew, grass, bugs, etc., than the majority of motorcyclists, including, I suspect, you ("I once . . . . ").
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 03-23-21, 02:22 AM
alpanian

Bikes: Rose X-LITE TEAM 4000 '17, Koga Miyata Proracer '81, BMC SLX01 '08, Focus Arriba 3.0 '15

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Running definitely harder overall. It's harder on the body (joints etc). Furthermore, Even moderate running will have you out of steam sooner than moderate cycling. Nevertheless, you can also punish yourself just as much going all out on a bike. Especially on hills.

Cycling just has a bigger range of effort from recreational up to all out cardio.

I also find that it's easier to get back to fit on a bike after a long period without sports. Running just causes aches and pains to occur sooner, and the older I get, the more likely it is that they become long lasting injuries.
Old 03-23-21, 03:02 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Running is far harder on the body. Have you ever seen slow motion video of the shock waves running up the leg from the foot??

For me by far the easiest thing to do is to cycle on a trike. No worry of tipping over and falling, Ride as slow as you want, and your feet can stay clipped in at stop lights.
Old 03-24-21, 06:26 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
Try telling my 70+ y.o. friend, who was along on a 32 mile ride, while still wearing a knee brace from a knee replacement, that bicycling is more difficult. I think you're confusing "convenient" or "riskier" with "harder".
Old 03-24-21, 08:39 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
This month (March 2021) I have been “a runner” for 45 years. About a dozen Marathons, dozens of ½ Marathons, and lots of other races and runs in that time. As a 9th grader in the in March of 1976 I joined my h.s. track (and CC) teams and just never stopped running. I took up cycling and swimming about five years later when I wanted to get into the new sport of triathlon. There’ve been numerous running injuries over the years. Lots of pounding the pavement. Wear and tear on the lower joints. Consequently...today...running (really it’s only a jog now) is WAY harder. For all intents and purposes I shouldn’t be running. It’s painful. But I’m a runner at heart, and I guess you can’t keep a good runner down. So I merely go through the motions for about five miles about once per week. Otherwise I’m on the bike (or swimming).

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 03-24-21, 12:09 PM
rowerek

Bikes: Colnago C40 2004, 1985 Centurion Elite RS, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Running is harder, much harder, that is why the bicycle was invented.

I very rarely, almost never, see runners that are older than me.(~60), I would say 40-50% of the cyclist that I see on the roads and bike paths are older than me, this might be specific to the area and hot and humid weather (Palm Beach and Martin County, Florida) but this is my unscientific observation. If you are 60+yo even relatively slow 5k running (10-11min/mile) in hot and humid weather is a challenge to your cardiovascular and skeletomuscular systems. OTH, biking has advantage of extra cooling, and easy choice of speed from easy almost no effort ~10mph to somewhat challenging ~18-20mph. The best about running, cycling and swimming is the advantage of cross-training.
Old 03-26-21, 11:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
I ran track in high school and continued to run to reduce work stress through my late-30s. Unfortunately running was a constant recovery from injury. I constantly pushed myself to greater distances and faster miles resulting in Shin splints, pulled muscles, increasing back pain. I loved going out for an hour and feeling well exercised. Ran tons of organized fun runs for best times. The injuries and pain made a transition to cycling easy. Cycling was great on the back, no shin splints and just occasional leg cramps on century rides. Cycling is as easy or hard as I want to make it, while running doesn’t afford the same amount of flexibility unless you consider jogging running.

I did limited running into my early 60s during the wet winter months to get a fast workout but after getting plantar fasciitis I gave it up completely. Now its 100% cycling combined with daily 3 mile dog walks and hiking.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-27-21, 12:02 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Running is only realistic for thin people. It is too difficult for fat people.

As we get older, I am concerned about injuries. Cycling is low impact, so less likely to cause injuries to knees and ankles.
Likes For alo:
Old 03-30-21, 07:39 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
um, running is harder for anyone
Old 03-31-21, 11:55 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
watts is watts. just different stress points and impact, different muscles deployed. whatever you train for is easier - shocking.
Old 03-31-21, 12:47 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
watts is watts. just different stress points and impact, different muscles deployed. whatever you train for is easier - shocking.
exactly the point. You don't have to train to ride a bike
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-01-21, 04:48 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
exactly the point. You don't have to train to ride a bike
This. Finally some common sense.

OP asked a stupid question and got a lot of stupid responses.

How many 50+ people can hop on a bike right now and ride 3 miles?
How many 50+ people can lace up a pair of sneakers right now and run 3 miles.

End of thread.
Old 04-01-21, 02:46 PM
wphamilton

I wouldn't be so quick to call it a wrap. There's a whole lot more to difficulty than just the watts, and after training both later in life I can't at all agree that what you train is automatically easier.

I could double or triple my running miles and it still won't make it any easier than cycling, even for short runs. On the other hand, when I climbed on a bike at my late 40's it was darned hard. Three miles was hard. It DID quickly get easier so I see where that's coming from, but at this stage in life it's taking a lot more for the same kind of gains in running and jogging.

It sounds like I'm arguing both sides, but I'm really saying it's just not that simple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.