Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Pakit vs Brompton

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bike Friday Pakit vs Brompton

Old 06-07-20, 09:16 AM
Skiingbeerman

Bikes: 6 speed brompton with rack, rohloff edition birdy III

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Thanks for asking, its already sold to another member.
Ok, thanks for the update,

Was looking to upgrade to the multi s front suspension. What was your thoughts on it?
Old 06-09-20, 07:21 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Its very well built and look beautiful but even at what they call 100%, it seems harder than the current front suspension with the normal spring.

The rear is also harder than the red PU block.

So, it depends of you weight, taste and where you are riding: if you are lightweight, look for a soft suspension or ride often on cobbles, I do not think that these suspensions are for you.

If you are relatively heavy, if performances is more important than comfort or if you ride seldom on cobbles, it is a nice upgrade.

But the price of Bikegang 240GBP + shipment + taxes for the set is pretty high (note that other options like the Color+ are even more expensive and do not have a real damping, just a spring or PU enclosed in a nice cabinet).

If you are interested and do not want to pay the ridiculously high price of Bikegang, contact Multi-S on their facebook page.

Anyway, that you buy from Bikegang or directly from Multi-S, the parcel will be shipped from Taiwan.
Old 02-27-21, 07:51 AM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Does anyone know what the widest tire that could mount on the Pakit? I'm guessing 1.75.
Old 02-27-21, 10:31 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I currently run Kojaks but I put a Marathon Plus on at one point and found I had to move the caliper brakes to the second slot and it was still really tight. The pakiT is not really designed to be used with wider tires. If you want/need them for additional comfort try a thud buster. If you want/need them for things like gravel and sand....consider a 20" wheel BF or other bike.
Old 02-27-21, 11:00 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
A phone call to Bike Friday would answer your tire size quickly and correctly. Roger
Old 02-27-21, 11:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
Does anyone know what the widest tire that could mount on the Pakit? I'm guessing 1.75.
With fenders, or without?

A factory BikeFriday pakiT uses 16", ISO349mm tires, not 16", ISO305mm tires. AFAIK the widest tires available in the ISO349 diameter are nominally* 40mm. (That's 1.57" .)

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires linberi said she fitted are nominally 35mm wide.

*Bicycle tires are not necessarily the actual width they say they are. They are usually narrower, but not always. The width as mounted also depends somewhat on the width of the rim they are mounted on.
Old 02-27-21, 03:03 PM
Jipe

Indeed, ETRTO349 is the Bormpton wheel size and most tires are 35x349 because its what the Brompton was made for.

But, maybe ETRTO355 would also fit since its only 6mm bigger?

There are wider tires available in ETRTO355.
Old 02-27-21, 04:21 PM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I can pick up a 3 speed with belt drive and a rear rack in near mint condition for $1425 including shipping. It would mean having to sell off a Brompton which would pay for the Pakit. The question is if I can't mount larger tires what I'm I improving in changing out bikes. The Bike Fridays that I have rode were 20 inch wheels but seemed not quite as solid as the Brompton. I do like the idea of a belt drive and using a handlebar of my choice but other than that I can't see it.
Old 02-28-21, 04:33 AM
Jipe

The main advantage is that the PakiT with derailleur will ride better than the Brompton with as drawback that it doesn't fold as easily as the Brompton.

But a 3s internal gear hub PakiT will not have any real advantage vs. a 3s or 6s Brompton.
Old 03-03-21, 10:29 AM
linberl

The main advantage is that the PakiT with derailleur will ride better than the Brompton with as drawback that it doesn't fold as easily as the Brompton.

But a 3s internal gear hub PakiT will not have any real advantage vs. a 3s or 6s Brompton.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. How does the change to IGH make a pakiT ride less well? The ride is determined by geometry, frame materials, etc., but I've never noticed the ride being radically impacted by the choice of internal vs. external gearing.
Perhaps I'm missing something. That said, my rear der pakiT rides great. I didn't go for IGH just because I wanted something I knew how to maintain and offered easy flat changes.

Also I would say the pakiT does fold as "easily" as a brompton (I've done both repeatedly) but it does not fold into as compact (read: square) a shape. It's a narrower rectangle. But I actually find it less time consuming to fold
and a lot less fiddly with many fewer levers/knobs to mess with.
Old 03-03-21, 10:43 AM
Jipe

What I mean is tat with a 3 speed IGH, first like with any IGH (excepted the Rohloff), the efficiency is lower than with a derailleur and with only 3 speed, its not possible to have the optimal pedaling cadence at all speed in all conditions resulting in a slower bike.

I find it a pity for a lightweight fast bike as the Pakit to use such a poor gearing.

I do not like to have to dismount the possibly dirty front wheel to have a compact fold of the bike. I prefer by far, the folding of the Brompton.
Old 03-03-21, 12:05 PM
linberl

What I mean is tat with a 3 speed IGH, first like with any IGH (excepted the Rohloff), the efficiency is lower than with a derailleur and with only 3 speed, its not possible to have the optimal pedaling cadence at all speed in all conditions resulting in a slower bike.

I find it a pity for a lightweight fast bike as the Pakit to use such a poor gearing.

I do not like to have to dismount the possibly dirty front wheel to have a compact fold of the bike. I prefer by far, the folding of the Brompton.
Ah, I see on the IGH. I'm not a fan. As to pakiT folding, I never take off the front wheel. Not necessary at all to fold and store or roll.
Old 06-07-21, 12:31 AM
agghk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got both - in different places - and I'm a bit surprised about some of the views expressed. The Pakit is very light, the ride is great, but the fold is frankly a mess. I wasn't a fan of the spike on the front that you poke through the frame approach - even before the spike broke.

The Brompton fold is great but anyone thinking "superlight" is super light is in for a shock. I'm also surprised about comments on service. Bike Friday repaired my bike out of warranty for nothing - and pretty quickly, too. I can't comment for Brompton. I've had that for 18 years without any major problem.

I took a bit of persuading on both Kojaks and lack of mudguards. I'm a convert to both.

I will admit I hate derailleurs with a passion, so I'm probably not best placed to comment, but, to me, the IGH is fine and the main advantage a Pakit has over a 3sp Brompton is still weight.

I also like the Fnhon Gust: the fold is good, light and a fraction of the cost of either of the other two. If only I could make myself a bit shorter (and get over my dislike of derailleurs), it could even be my favourite.