Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Max Power

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway
View Poll Results: Your Max Power
11+ full enchilada
38.89%
lower gear + higher rpm
61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Max Power

Old 02-24-21, 09:26 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
In the real world, your speed is your speed. In Zwift if your trainer misses picking up a few rev's in your cadence in a sprint that could mean you wind up going slower. In real life you still go whatever you're going to go, the reading on your meter might just be different.

All things Zwift is a grain of salt and usually not what is optimal in real life.

If you care about such things, I think the best thing to do would be to join one of the numerous Z1 "stay together" group rides where they lap a flattish short course like London or Richmond with the sprint banners. Then they turn off the banding for the sprint. Try stuff out. Try different postures or ways of racking the bike on the trainer for Zwift. See what you can get.

In Zwift I can't figure it out. I'm always a solid 300w or so less on my peak and probably 400w less on my "hold" when sprinting. So, any Zwift racing ending in a sprint I'd just not make out too well.

Zwift is also a grain of salt as DCRainmaker said he gets funny figures on some smart trainers for sprints. Then he has given the feedback to the vendors who claim to do firmware updates.
Old 02-24-21, 01:15 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Lots of NFL lineman have legs way stronger than Usan Bolt. But could dust them running at any distance easily. Tells me power is about efficiency and task specific.
Old 02-24-21, 07:16 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
In my experience you can “game” max power on a power meter for a second or two with a lot of torque in a big gear. However, I think it’s mostly a measurement error.

Real world, start out in a gear you can turn 100rpm. Shift up one. when you start feeling that spun out, bang one up shift, get on top of that, and before you spin it out the race is over.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 02-28-21, 03:09 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Stupid question: How do you accurately measure your cadence on Zwift or on any other indoor cycling application?

My trainer reports some sort of generic cadence with delays of 3-5 seconds in updating and it is also very dependent (some +/- 20%) on my position on the bike (standing vs on the saddle). A cadence sensor mounted on the crank does not do a much better work: just that its reading does not depend on my position, but the delays are long and its jumps between figures have nothing to do with real life, where it sends a smooth and very consistent reading to a Gamin device.
Old 02-28-21, 05:21 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Stupid question: How do you accurately measure your cadence on Zwift or on any other indoor cycling application?

My trainer reports some sort of generic cadence with delays of 3-5 seconds in updating . . . .
I know next to nothing about how the software works, but BigRing VR has a "Preferences" section where, among other things, you can change the frequency of cadence updating. I just leave it at the 3-second setting.
Old 03-01-21, 04:47 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet

My trainer reports some sort of generic cadence with delays of 3-5 seconds in updating and it is also very dependent (some +/- 20%) on my position on the bike (standing vs on the saddle). A cadence sensor mounted on the crank does not do a much better work: just that its reading does not depend on my position, but the delays are long and its jumps between figures have nothing to do with real life, where it sends a smooth and very consistent reading to a Gamin device.
My pedal based pm, Favero Assioma, also functions as a cadence meter. I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, but what do I know?
Old 03-01-21, 04:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

My sprint power won't impress anybody, and personally I don't pay much attention on the road, as I don't race, but I do care on Zwift. For a while, I couldn't break 600 watts for a 5 second sprint, but then one day I was in an easier gear and I did 650 W. Normally, my sprint was at 95 RPM, but the better power was at 105 RPM. Lesson learned.

I'm somewhat encouraged by the people saying they get higher power on the road than on a trainer. Maybe my 5 second power numbers aren't as pathetic as I've assumed. (I'm 72 kg)

Last edited by MinnMan; 03-01-21 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 04:54 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
My pedal based pm, Favero Assioma, also functions as a cadence meter. I have no reason to doubt its accuracy, but what do I know?
There are ways to check, if you wanted to know. Most people don't.
Old 03-01-21, 04:56 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by RChung
There are ways to check, if you wanted to know. Most people don't.
Well, if I could count really fast and use a stopwatch....
Old 03-01-21, 10:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Power = torque vector * angular velocity aka cadence.

Your pedals can't be wrong (about cadence) by much and still hit the +/- 2% accuracy spec. Or whatever it is for yours specifically.

@RChung knows more about this than anyone and pointed out the that one second every few rides where I'm doing 140 rpm but not really isn't the only time it ever makes a mistake. He uses PMs differently than most people and needs more precision, for practical purposes you can just treat your pedals' cadence as right and bob's your uncle.
Old 03-02-21, 08:54 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
, for practical purposes you can just treat your pedals' cadence as right and bob's your uncle.
That's probably a fair assessment. Times when cadence (and therefore power) can be off are when you're accelerating really hard, or when you suddenly go from pedaling hard to coasting. In many power meters that use accelerometers for measuring cadence, you can see anomalous power readings. Another situation is when you're mountain biking at very low cadence because you're trying to "muscle up" over an obstacle. Accelerometer-based cadence seems to be confused when you're pedaling really slow at very high crank torque. But most riders really don't care much about those situations.

Not just accelerometer-based cadence can be off. I used to have a reed-switch sensor for speed and it used to go crazy occasionally, where I'd see speeds of a couple hundred km/h for 2 seconds. So I examined my data files and realized they all occurred on a certain route, a particular distance from where I'd habitually hit the lap button. So the next time I went out that way, I counted that distance from the place where I hit the button and right there in the middle of the road was an understreet power vault. That power vault was leaking EM and it was interfering with my sensor. I bet the FCC didn't like that. Maybe not the public health dept, either. You can find out some interesting things if you pay attention to when things go wacky.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-02-21, 10:22 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Not just accelerometer-based cadence can be off. I used to have a reed-switch sensor for speed and it used to go crazy occasionally, where I'd see speeds of a couple hundred km/h for 2 seconds. So I examined my data files and realized they all occurred on a certain route, a particular distance from where I'd habitually hit the lap button. So the next time I went out that way, I counted that distance from the place where I hit the button and right there in the middle of the road was an understreet power vault. That power vault was leaking EM and it was interfering with my sensor. I bet the FCC didn't like that. Maybe not the public health dept, either. You can find out some interesting things if you pay attention to when things go wacky.
Years ago, before I had a PM, I noticed at that my HR always jumped to 250 at the same spot on every ride, regardless of effort. I figured it was a powerline or something.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-02-21, 10:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Max Power on Zwift - cousin to this guy?