Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Old 03-03-21, 12:15 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Here in PA (and perhaps in some other states, too), a cyclist is allowed to go through a red light if it is malfunctioning -- and that includes a light's inability to detect a cyclist and turn green. And hell, I would've done exactly as you did, with or without the law on my side.
Yep, I live in PA as well, and have gone through red lights, after first stopping and waiting for the light to change many times, on the bicycle, as well as motorcycles. Some simply do not detect smaller vehicles.
Old 03-03-21, 12:17 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by MNHarv
Wait...

So if the father from Orange Country Choopers is rolling up to a stop sign controlled interstection but he ain't there yet and I'm about to ride through because ain't nobody presently wait'n to go through said interstection, I should hold up for Wally Walrus so's he can pollute my ear drums when he takes off with his louder for chowder phallic symbol on wheels?

And do those things even come with turn signals...?
Uhm...
Old 03-03-21, 04:20 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Uhm...
If I gotta explain..
Old 03-03-21, 05:16 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Really, North America will get the cyclists it deserves. The road system has only gotten more dangerous and disrespectful towards cyclists and the Kangeroo court system is allowing it. People are a product of their environment, and if cyclists are acting more hostile it's because that environment is more hostile. When I was a kid it was safe enough to have a group of Jr High Students cycle together to the next city. Cars slowed down and gave space while passing us, and nothing was yelled or thrown from the vehicle. Now it would be too dangerous to host a school event like this. There would be some jerk trying to drive an inch off the students to "scare them". Cans and who knows what might be thrown at them etc. When's the last time you heard of a motorist being charged with manslaughter involving a cyclist? it's extremely rare these days.

Motorists try to say "Well cyclists don't stop at red lights". Really? I think there isn't a single motorist who hasn't gone over the speed limit. Failed to signal etc. Heck how many of them have parked their car then immediately Jay Walked across the street to where ever they are going despite a cross walk only being half a block away? Maybe remove the plank from your own eye.

This is more about the overinflated ego that motorists have. It's like a religion. "Well if I have to work day and night to pay insurance to keep my rapidly depreciating liability on the road... Then you should too!". These types of motorists don't have a responsible bone in their body, and loath the fact they are held accountable for their 3000pound motorized death machine that can destroy lives and millions property in a instant. I worked as a Insurance Broker and heard the crying and whining daily.
Old 03-03-21, 05:28 PM
phughes

If I gotta explain..
Oh no, I understood what you wrote, a completely bizarre, unrelated rant. I got that.
Old 03-03-21, 06:10 PM
shrtdstncrdr

You're displeased? Perish the thought.

Go ahead now. Have the last word.
Old 03-03-21, 07:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
Really, North America will get the cyclists it deserves.
When's the last time you heard of a motorist being charged with manslaughter involving a cyclist? it's extremely rare these days.
But... but, but if they got charged with that, it could lead to having a negative life changing experience for that driver.....

cant have that happen now can we..
Old 03-04-21, 05:54 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Wait...

So if the father from Orange Country Choopers is rolling up to a stop sign controlled interstection but he ain't there yet and I'm about to ride through because ain't nobody presently wait'n to go through said interstection, I should hold up for Wally Walrus so's he can pollute my ear drums when he takes off with his louder for chowder phallic symbol on wheels?

Just plain weird.
Why am I guessing that you see phallic symbols everywhere...
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-04-21, 06:42 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
When's the last time you heard of a motorist being charged with manslaughter involving a cyclist? it's extremely rare these days.
When's the last time you heard of any motorist being charged? Typically unless there is excess speed, drugs or alcohol involved, then drivers aren't charged irrespective of the mode of conveyance of the deceased. Do we really want to criminalize human error?
Old 03-04-21, 07:46 AM
OnTheTarmac

Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Just plain weird.
It's cringe when people say motrocycles, big trucks, loud cars, etc are phallic compensators. I guarantee most people who say this drink coffee with oat milk and can't do a sub 6hr century (imperial). You can enjoy a bike ride and also have a cool truck, car, etc. at the same time.
Likes For OnTheTarmac:
Old 03-04-21, 09:12 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Just plain weird.

No, but that one is pretty obvious. Ask yourself what motivates some people. Especially from middle age on. Mid life crisis convertibles? Trying to recapture a youth which one might think was unfulfilled? Not just a nice looking or riding motorcycle but one that stands out like the proverbial king of credit card badassery. They didn't even ride that well because they were ungainly. Poorly designed. (there were exceptions but few) I saw a lot of them on trailers on the way out to Sturgis, but magically, but the time we were nearing Pierre SD, The ones on trailers were being unloaded to ride in. If that's one's thing, I guess...

I won't recommend rereading Freud because I think he got it wrong. But then if enough people read it and believe it, they tend to sort of live it out. It doesn't become right, per se, but it becomes accepted. (do I need to spell out why?)

If you (and others) don't see the symbolism I can think of three reasons. Which would also mean you don't see the beta male style competition that often happens at intersections LOL. But you will now because I put it in your head to watch for it. And in the rarified occasions when it does and you catch it you'll think, Dammit, that ass on Bike Forums told me this would happen.

Nietzsche, on the other hand, that guy was prophetic. ASZ is even better if you can find a copy in his original, what we'd call Old German. That's how I first discovered Neitzsche and I'm grateful for that.

So.. you been mansplained enough? You hate me? Good.
Old 03-04-21, 09:31 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
My motorcycles always had turn signals and had to go through state inspection to verify they worked just like any other motor vehicle.

Last edited by GeezyRider; 03-04-21 at 09:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Likes For GeezyRider:
Old 03-04-21, 09:53 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Originally Posted by GeezyRider
My motorcycles always had turn signals and had to go through state inspection to verify they worked just like any other motor vehicle.
I've lived in two states where if the bikes didn't come with them new you didn't need to retrofit them. Maybe that's changed since?
Old 03-04-21, 10:05 AM
OnTheTarmac

Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
No, but that one is pretty obvious. Ask yourself what motivates some people. Especially from middle age on. Mid life crisis convertibles? Trying to recapture a youth which one might think was unfulfilled? Not just a nice looking or riding motorcycle but one that stands out like the proverbial king of credit card badassery. They didn't even ride that well because they were ungainly. Poorly designed. (there were exceptions but few) I saw a lot of them on trailers on the way out to Sturgis, but magically, but the time we were nearing Pierre SD, The ones on trailers were being unloaded to ride in. If that's one's thing, I guess...

I won't recommend rereading Freud because I think he got it wrong. But then if enough people read it and believe it, they tend to sort of live it out. It doesn't become right, per se, but it becomes accepted. (do I need to spell out why?)

If you (and others) don't see the symbolism I can think of three reasons. Which would also mean you don't see the beta male style competition that often happens at intersections LOL. But you will now because I put it in your head to watch for it. And in the rarified occasions when it does and you catch it you'll think, Dammit, that ass on Bike Forums told me this would happen.

Nietzsche, on the other hand, that guy was prophetic. ASZ is even better if you can find a copy in his original, what we'd call Old German. That's how I first discovered Neitzsche and I'm grateful for that.

God this is an insufferable take. You're conflating phallic symbols with midlife crisis stereotypes? That doesn't even make sense. The reason people buy convertibles and motorcycles are because they are fun to drive, and to the extent there is a performative or signalling aspect to it, that is definitely not limited to middle aged men. Look at any nightlife scene at the young people with their (heavily financed) Lambos and stereos blasting.
I think the real underlying psychology is a tinge of jealousy. The loud obnoxious truck or motorcycle captured your attention or made a statement that you weren't able to counter as a mere pedestrian or cyclist.
Likes For OnTheTarmac:
Old 03-04-21, 10:12 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by YellaFella
I was watching a YouTube video of a ride this morning. The guy recording the ride and his riding buddy came to a red light at an intersection, barely slowed down, and rode right through the light. Fellow cyclists, we have to be better.

Don't be that cyclist, OK?

What do you think? Am I wrong or right? (As you'll see in the blog, I don't absolve drivers, who shoulder a much larger share of blame, IMO. But I feel like we have to own up to our issues).
In general, I agree and practice following car laws whenever possible. That said, there are some exceptions. In some states, it is legal for a cyclist to slow, check for safety then proceed through a red light. Also, some red light detection systems will not pick up a bike. Especially, for those with all carbon. In those cases, I will proceed if safe to do so.
Old 03-04-21, 10:29 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
When's the last time you heard of any motorist being charged? Typically unless there is excess speed, drugs or alcohol involved, then drivers aren't charged irrespective of the mode of conveyance of the deceased. Do we really want to criminalize human error?

If someone accidentally discharges a firearm and it kills someone 9/10 they are charged with manslaughter or at the very least criminal negligence. Why is owning a car any less of a responsibility then a firearm? It's always "It wasn't my fault, I didn't mean to" yet someone's family is destroyed. Now I understand that it's not always the motorists fault. But I have seen way too many motorists driving aggressively and recklessly towards cyclists in the past few years. Even myself I have had them swerve at me for no reason other than to get some kicks. Heck last year I was standing on the side walk holding my bike and a truck drove over the curb onto the sidewalk barely missing me. The driver yelled some type of profanity and then drove like a complete psychopath away! I reported him but never heard back from the Police.

If you are driving recklessly and unaware of your surroundings and you hurt someone. Yes you should be charged.
Old 03-04-21, 10:43 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
OP is a freaking troll genius. Sticks around long enough to make sure things are really going, then sneaks away like some Looney Tunes instigator crawling out of the brawly dust cloud unnoticed.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 03-04-21, 10:50 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Good stuff.
For what it’s worth, I feel sorry for you.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-04-21, 12:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts

Too deep for me. Isn't this teh Biek Forms, and not Psychology Today? Can't we just play bikes?

Last edited by badger1; 03-04-21 at 01:02 PM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 03-04-21, 12:19 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Since this thread is all over the place I'll ask. What was the last Harley model you rode?
Old 03-04-21, 01:12 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by OnTheTarmac
God this is an insufferable take. You're conflating phallic symbols with midlife crisis stereotypes? That doesn't even make sense. The reason people buy convertibles and motorcycles are because they are fun to drive, and to the extent there is a performative or signalling aspect to it, that is definitely not limited to middle aged men. Look at any nightlife scene at the young people with their (heavily financed) Lambos and stereos blasting.
I think the real underlying psychology is a tinge of jealousy. The loud obnoxious truck or motorcycle captured your attention or made a statement that you weren't able to counter as a mere pedestrian or cyclist.
Yep, just one less member I'll be seeing on the forum...
Old 03-04-21, 03:01 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Since this thread is all over the place I'll ask. What was the last Harley model you rode?
Do Buells count?
(Asked in the spirit of contrarianism)
Old 03-04-21, 10:07 PM
shrtdstncrdr

It doesn't matter. The point is, I might cross against the stop sign if I thought I had enough time given, perhaps, the type of vehicle I might encounter if I stopped.
Old 03-04-21, 11:19 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Originally Posted by OnTheTarmac

I can respect your opinion. But I can't agree with you because what I wrote does make sense. If what I wrote weren't verifiably true, choppers like the ones Orange Country Choppers assembled would have gained enough of a following that the company would still exist. They were a goofy fad. Their claim to fame was creating the most exaggerated appearances.

The kids, you have to expect that. Young people trying to find their way.

There are folks who can ride across states with straight pipes. I'm not one of them. Really not a fan of loud as my original post to this thread ought to have made clear. There's just something amazing about a mechanism running as near to silent as possible. And if not quiet, then near musical in its sound. The burble of a 60s era Jag straight six at idle. Even when it's on the boil, less loud, more melodic. I don't know what it is but that kind of sound is beautiful to me. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but loud for loud's sake is just crass.
Old 03-05-21, 06:59 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

It doesn't matter. The point is, I might cross against the stop sign if I thought I had enough time given, perhaps, the type of vehicle I might encounter if I stopped.
If you are criticizing the handling of "Harleys" then it absolutely matters.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.