Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Trail 6 Tubeless Conversion

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 10:45 PM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey,

I am pretty new to mountain biking and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if it was possible to convert a 2020 Cannondale Trail 6 to tubeless without completely replacing the rims and tires and if not, how much the materials to do it would cost.

Thanks!

Last edited by milesf; 03-05-21 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-05-21, 08:48 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
there is a lot of context you left out, what tires? what year is the bike? I converted a fuji nevada wheels to tubeless however it meant switching tires. Tires should be tubeless ready before going down this road. Tubeless tires have more rubber on the sidewalls to prevent sealant from weeping. non tubeless tires will weep for a bit which some people are fine with. Rims you have to do a ghetto conversion by using gorilla tape and run a couple of layers but also at the same time take a bit of work to get the bead to seat. tubeless ready rims are easier to seat. My current bike has tubeless ready rims and tires with proper rim tape and is much easier to get setup. Also unless you are facing constant punctures there really isn't a reason to go tubeless. Its possible to ride and do well without running tubeless.

tldr: yes you probably can but will be a bunch of work. I've done it but I would rather have tubeless ready tires and rims. unless you are getting constant punctures stick with tubes.
Old 03-07-21, 09:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
But I thought you were done trying to turn this bike into a fancier one?

None of the half-measures are as secure as the real thing. The best conversion was Stan's, used to make conversion kits that used a rubber strip to fill in the channel and make the tubeless shape, but...
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...r#.YEWdKGhKiUk
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-07-21, 11:30 PM
milesf

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks! I guess the idea of constant punctures is kinda abstract, I've had to change out my tube twice this month so idk if that's a lot (I ride about three times a week for 2-4 hours each). The main reason that I wanted to do it was just so that I could run lower pressures since I have been having some problems with getting a good amount of grip. Also, right now I'm literally just running all of the stock parts from the 2021 version (WTB Ranger Comp tires, 29x2.25)

Last edited by milesf; 03-07-21 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-08-21, 08:48 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by milesf
Hey,

I am pretty new to mountain biking and I was wondering if any of you guys knew if it was possible to convert a 2020 Cannondale Trail 6 to tubeless without completely replacing the rims and tires and if not, how much the materials to do it would cost.

Thanks!
Look up the specs on Canondale's website. 2020 models should still be listed. If the specs for tires and rims specifically say 'Tubeless Ready' then your conversion will be easy. If not, you'll probably have to invest in rims and tires. If you're still not sure, just ask your LBS.
Old 03-10-21, 06:34 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Tell us exactly what kind of rims and tires you have.

Do your WTB tires say “TCS” on them somewhere?
Old 03-10-21, 06:46 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Tell us exactly what kind of rims and tires you have.

Do your WTB tires say “TCS” on them somewhere?
Since they didn't list anything, I assume it has original equipment. This link is the 2020 model.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...ku=c26600m10xs

Other Cannondale models specifically say tubeless ready for rims and tires. I think he will have to invest $$$ if he wants to make the switch to tubeless.
Old 03-10-21, 07:04 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by metz1295
Since they didn't list anything, I assume it has original equipment. This link is the 2020 model.

https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/...ku=c26600m10xs

Other Cannondale models specifically say tubeless ready for rims and tires. I think he will have to invest $$$ if he wants to make the switch to tubeless.
Thats cool, But I do not assume anything, and I am not going to run around the Internet looking up what is supposed to be stock on his bike (which sometimes is not accurate, anyway) when he can just read what’s on the rim and tire and post it himself.