Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 03-03-21, 03:35 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Masonchat
I had the 7.2fx before getting the fx 2 and it was the fx3 I initially wanted but decided the extra wasnt worth it , I know many will disagree, but the fx2 has same gearing as 7.2 fx 3x8 which I like and one of the reasons I'm glad I went with fx2 as opposed fx3
Hey, as long as you enjoy the ride, that's great!

My post was about why Trek's archive site hasn't been updated since 2017, though.
Old 03-03-21, 05:36 AM
Masonchat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
Hey, as long as you enjoy the ride, that's great!

My post was about why Trek's archive site hasn't been updated since 2017, though.
sorry yeah I quoted the wrong comment I'm a newbie to the forum 😁
Old 03-03-21, 10:18 AM
LazyMike

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine
2021 Trek FX 3 Disc (Large - Rage Red)
Nice pic, I want to go out and ride now.
Old 03-03-21, 10:30 AM
Masonchat

Originally Posted by LazyMike
Nice pic, I want to go out and ride now.
this is my fx 2 with the mudguards and pedals I'm loving it

Old 03-05-21, 11:13 AM
LazyMike

this is my fx 2 with the mudguards and pedals I'm loving it

Nice bike pics. What's the turquoise thing on your handlebar?
Old 03-05-21, 11:54 AM
Masonchat

thanks mike, the green thing is my ecig 😁
Old 03-06-21, 06:50 AM
LazyMike

thanks mike, the green thing is my ecig 😁
ecig? is that like vape?
I actually was more interested about the "turquoise thing on your handlebar".
Old 03-06-21, 12:50 PM
Masonchat

ecig? is that like vape?
Oh yeah I thought you were talking about my vape device on the crossbar.
What on the handle bar is a zealot 4 in 1 bluetooth spearker/light/powerbank/radio its actually by far the most powerful light 100 times better than actual bike lights
Old 03-06-21, 02:06 PM
Masonchat

ecig? is that like vape?
light on vs light off

Likes For Masonchat:
Old 03-06-21, 03:18 PM
LazyMike

Oh yeah I thought you were talking about my vape device on the crossbar.
What on the handle bar is a zealot 4 in 1 bluetooth spearker/light/powerbank/radio its actually by far the most powerful light 100 times better than actual bike lights
light on vs light off
Works nice, healthier than ecig.
Old 03-06-21, 03:26 PM
Masonchat

Works nice, healthier than ecig.
it does , where I live after 2km in either direction and the street lights end, normal bike lights aren't good enough to ride in those conditions, that light is, having said that I'd sooner ride blind than ride without my vape 😁
Likes For Masonchat:
Old 03-15-21, 06:57 PM
gb2

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX4 Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Blendr Setup for Trip 300

Any tips on how to mount a Trip 300 on a 2021 FX4 Sport? I want it to sit above my light, flush with the handlebar. The Duo Base is too wide for the Elite stem despite claims of compatibility. It is currently positioned about an inch above the stem. A little too conspicuous for me.
Old 03-16-21, 05:32 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Conspicuous meaning what? That somebody might see it while you are riding? Or that somebody might see it and be tempted to steal it while your bike is parked? If the former, I don't get your concern for what apparently might be an aesthetic issue. If the latter, you would still need to dismount it anyway. I don't get your issue at all. I'm of the mindset that nobody would want to take a bike trip monitor that cost @$50 new - but was obsoleted by Trek, 2 years ago, according to their web site.

My trip monitor is lashed to the stem of the bike. Where I can see it with just a glance down; and where I can fiddle the buttons most easily - for me.
Old 03-16-21, 05:45 AM
gb2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raymellott
Conspicuous meaning what? That somebody might see it while you are riding? Or that somebody might see it and be tempted to steal it while your bike is parked? If the former, I don't get your concern for what apparently might be an aesthetic issue. If the latter, you would still need to dismount it anyway. I don't get your issue at all. I'm of the mindset that nobody would want to take a bike trip monitor that cost @$50 new - but was obsoleted by Trek, 2 years ago, according to their web site.

My trip monitor is lashed to the stem of the bike. Where I can see it with just a glance down; and where I can fiddle the buttons most easily - for me.
It's for purely aesthetic reasons. Of course. As I explained (poorly?) I prefer the Trip to sit in front of and parallel with the handlebars. Low profile. Just looking for different Blendr mount options. I haven't cracked the code yet.
Old 03-16-21, 06:24 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

I can think of any number of things that, if you haven't done so, would be more important than the aesthetics of your cockpit. Including the obvious like the light you have..... Then, there would be the type of pedals you have on the bike.... a good seat, the bar, grips, whether you have bar ends or not, mirrors, bottle cages (at least 2), the tires you ride on, a tool kit with the usual stuff, including a tube, patches, and all that.... Obviously depending on the type of riding you do..... Good luck. Stay safe, y'all.
Old 03-16-21, 11:46 AM
gb2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can think of any number of things that, if you haven't done so, would be more important than the aesthetics of your cockpit. Including the obvious like the light you have..... Then, there would be the type of pedals you have on the bike.... a good seat, the bar, grips, whether you have bar ends or not, mirrors, bottle cages (at least 2), the tires you ride on, a tool kit with the usual stuff, including a tube, patches, and all that.... Obviously depending on the type of riding you do..... Good luck. Stay safe, y'all.
And if I have acted on all of those things you mind blowingly listed, can I then obsess over the use of real estate on my handlebars? It's okay if you don't know about Blendr mounts. Maybe refrain from replying next time?
Old 03-23-21, 07:57 PM
JerseyShore

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m looking at the carbon sport 4

can you buddy tell me how wide a tire I can put on there I’m looking to make this a gravel bike bike?

anyway I can fit 42s on there?
also I’m not very techy how can I make the cassette/gearing more like a road/gravel bike I believe it’s 11-42 - what would I change it to?

thx
Old 03-23-21, 08:59 PM
gb2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JerseyShore
I’m looking at the carbon sport 4

can you buddy tell me how wide a tire I can put on there I’m looking to make this a gravel bike bike?

anyway I can fit 42s on there?
also I’m not very techy how can I make the cassette/gearing more like a road/gravel bike I believe it’s 11-42 - what would I change it to?

thx
Up to 35c. I’m currently riding that size with my GravelKing SS+. But I ride more gravel/pavement than dirt.

Not sure about a MTB cassette. There is an informative article at the MBS blog though.

ETA: You can get away with 38.

Last edited by gb2; 04-08-21 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For gb2:
Old 04-06-21, 12:15 AM
SEATrek

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Hello! I am new here and have a 2012 Trek FX 7.5 that I love. Only thing is the frame is a 15 inch and I am feeling a little cramped and some hand pain. So! Went to the bike store today and test rode a 2021 17 inch FX5 Sport. Loved it! I happened to notice that there really isn't any buzz at all on this forum about the FX5 Sport (lots about the FX3 and FX6 and a little about the FX4). My main LBS has Zero FX bikes in stock and I went east to a small town that has this one in stock. I know the FX6 has the 105 group set and the FX5 has the Tiagra. I prefer the FX5 for the rear cassette and as it is already a very spendy bike I figure saving $200 is worth it since I know I won't really notice the difference between the 105 and Tiagra since I don't ride a ton. Most of my rides are around 25-50 minutes and for fitness. Am planning some longer rides hence the need for a bigger frame so I can stretch out. I am 5'6" so the 15 inch frame works but it's a little cramped. When I test rode the 17 inch FX5 Sport today I felt so comfortable and fell in love with the disc brakes. I have a friend who was a professional bike tech in a past life so he helps me with a lot. I figure I should be able to sell my current bike easily to offset some of the cost and the recent stimulus check helps too.

So does anyone have the FX5 Sport or know anyone who does?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-21, 06:15 AM
raymellott

Originally Posted by SEATrek
Hello! I am new here and have a 2012 Trek FX 7.5 that I love. Only thing is the frame is a 15 inch and I am feeling a little cramped and some hand pain. So! Went to the bike store today and test rode a 2021 17 inch FX5 Sport. Loved it! I happened to notice that there really isn't any buzz at all on this forum about the FX5 Sport (lots about the FX3 and FX6 and a little about the FX4). My main LBS has Zero FX bikes in stock and I went east to a small town that has this one in stock. I know the FX6 has the 105 group set and the FX5 has the Tiagra. I prefer the FX5 for the rear cassette and as it is already a very spendy bike I figure saving $200 is worth it since I know I won't really notice the difference between the 105 and Tiagra since I don't ride a ton. Most of my rides are around 25-50 minutes and for fitness. Am planning some longer rides hence the need for a bigger frame so I can stretch out. I am 5'6" so the 15 inch frame works but it's a little cramped. When I test rode the 17 inch FX5 Sport today I felt so comfortable and fell in love with the disc brakes. I have a friend who was a professional bike tech in a past life so he helps me with a lot. I figure I should be able to sell my current bike easily to offset some of the cost and the recent stimulus check helps too.

So does anyone have the FX5 Sport or know anyone who does?

Thanks!
If you have a face-book account, go there, hunt up the "Trek FX Owners" group; and join. There are quite a number of FX owners in that group. They are rather active with discussions about FX thingsn'stuff
Old 04-07-21, 04:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Got my wife a FX4 Sport Carbon , got a great deal on the bike and ended upgrading the wheels.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-08-21 at 03:10 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-07-21, 04:40 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Got my wife a FX4 Sport Comp, got a great deal on the bike and ended upgrading the wheels.
Nice! What seat and saddle bag is that?
Old 04-07-21, 05:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by MrWasabi
Nice! What seat and saddle bag is that?

Seat bag is a Bontrager quick cleat. I had an extra after I got my Domane and did not need it for that bike. It is a smallest size I believe.

The saddle is a 5 or 6 year old Specialized Romin in 143mm that I pulled from my Emonda. I recently moved to the Bontrager Verse in a 135 and I kept this just in case the Bontrager did not work out, and after our last ride, she said she really had a lot of issues and some pain from the saddle on her old bike, so I asked her to try this one just to see if she find a narrower saddle better. I feel the nose is a little to long for her, but who know, it might work out. My LBS has a verse she can try as well to see if the shorter nose would be better. Some of the descriptions she was giving me gives me the impression that her old saddle was too wide and too much cushioning.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-07-21, 09:43 PM
brucedelta

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gb2
Any tips on how to mount a Trip 300 on a 2021 FX4 Sport? I want it to sit above my light, flush with the handlebar. The Duo Base is too wide for the Elite stem despite claims of compatibility. It is currently positioned about an inch above the stem. A little too conspicuous for me.
Do you have the correct Blendr base? I just got and FX4 and bought a Garmin 130+ yesterday. I would like to use the Blendr out front mount on my bike. From the website it looks like there is a specific base for the elite handlebar. I will try stopping by my local Trek shop tomorrow to see what they tell me.
Old 04-08-21, 12:05 PM
gb2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have a face-book account, go there, hunt up the "Trek FX Owners" group; and join. There are quite a number of FX owners in that group. They are rather active with discussions about FX thingsn'stuff
And search hashtags on Instagram. I messaged a guy in England some questions about the FX4 Sport. His experience helped me decide on buying it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.