Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When will they ever learn

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

When will they ever learn

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-22, 09:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
The actual conversation went like this. Bike trouble?? Yes, flat tiire, I got a huge screw in my tire. I have a patches and a pump. Thanks but the hole is too big for a patch, and the tire will have to be thrown away too. Well ok, so, how far have you walked, and how far do you have to go? About 5 miles, and 5 miles to go. And that was about all that was said. As I stated before, I didnt demand to see the tube or the hole. He was the one that said it was too big to patch.

So all your attacks are the usual bull schidtt, from the same few, trying to make me out the bad guy. But let me state this, to offend me, first I would have to respect your opinion, but I dont, and let your snide remarks roll off like water on a ducks back.

OH----------and BTW this last week end I rode my trike in perfect comfort 65 miles. Not too bad for an 84 year old-------------right********************?

So basically, he told you that even if he had carried the pump and a tube or patches, the tire was too bad for that to work. Are you going to now knock him for not carrying a spare tire? Sounds to me like he also ruled out booting the tire.

We get it, you're old and you ride a trike, so obviously you need to judge everyone all the time. The problem is that your posts are generally so obnoxiously accusatory that the automatic goodwill your age would normally garner is negated.

BTW, did you actually check his pockets for patches and a mini-pump/CO2? Sounds to me like he may have had them himself. I'm sure your story will now change to you asking "do you need a pump and patches?" .so you can keep drawing your little moral of the story.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-22, 09:57 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,993 Times in 876 Posts
Old 08-23-22, 10:09 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Trying to understand why anyone would ride 10 miles from home without any tools or tubes.

BTW if he would have told me he had a tube but it would only blown out the hole in the tire, I would have said-------lets fix it since I carry boots for a tire.

Assuming facts not in evidence. If that's true, why didn't you offer the boot? That's rather obvious.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-22, 10:13 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4020 Post(s)
Liked 7,543 Times in 3,035 Posts
OH----------and BTW this last week end I rode my trike in perfect comfort 65 miles. Not too bad for an 84 year old-------------right********************?
Sorry, but your age and the distance you ride don't justify your judgmental attitude and constant proselytizing about recumbents.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-23-22, 10:20 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked 8,373 Times in 3,952 Posts
He DID NOT have one. And he said it the hole was too big for patches and the tire was ruined.
In that case, a new tube probably would have been useless as well. I still don't understand your motivation to start a thread for the purpose of ridiculing this guy's misfortune.
Old 08-23-22, 10:27 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4020 Post(s)
Liked 7,543 Times in 3,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
In that case, a new tube probably would have been useless as well. I still don't understand your motivation to start a thread for the purpose of ridiculing this guy's misfortune.
Because the guy was wearing full kit and riding a $5,000 bike!
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-23-22, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Sorry, but your age and the distance you ride don't justify your judgmental attitude and constant proselytizing about recumbents.

The issue isn't his proselytizing about recumbents it's his constant denigration of people who choose to ride something else. Basically, he's completely disrespectful to about 99% of cyclists, then demands they show him respect because he's old.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-22, 11:01 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,855 Posts
The best way to "show him respect because he is old" is to assume he is fully capable, and challenge his arguments/fairy tales in the way that you (and I and others) have.

Besides, since everything else is probably a fairy tale, his age might be, too.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-23-22, 11:06 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 1,240 Times in 718 Posts
I do enjoy a good thread....

But this thread has changed from questioning a decision/assumption made by an individual, to questioning the individual themselves.
I get it, some individuals have a pattern emerge in their posts and this, after all, IS the internet !

Might I respectfully suggest the chatter remain on topic.

All the best

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-23-22, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18567 Post(s)
Liked 16,008 Times in 7,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
Hello. What's this thread about (other than 8 pages long)?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-23-22, 11:18 AM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 305 Post(s)
Quoted: 26481 Post(s)
Liked 10,448 Times in 7,248 Posts
...I'm sorry I missed this thread. Is this the one where we celebrated National Senior Citizens' Day, last Sunday ? I was busy going around town and taking advantage of all the special Senior holiday perks, and collecting accolades.
Old 08-23-22, 11:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Barry2
I do enjoy a good thread....

But this thread has changed from questioning a decision/assumption made by an individual, to questioning the individual themselves.
I get it, some individuals have a pattern emerge in their posts and this, after all, IS the internet !

All the best

Barry

OP entitled this thread as a plural ("they") accusation/rhetorical question. As such, it was ad hominem from the git-go, hence all of the otherwise irrelevant "information" concerning the price of the bike, the kit, etc. that the OP saw fit to include. The whole point of this thread was for OP to air yet another of his endless stream of insults towards a "type" of cyclist he disapproves of. So you tell me, what "chatter" would be on topic?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-22, 11:54 AM
3alarmer

Originally Posted by livedarklions
...So you tell me, what "chatter" would be on topic?

The Dollar Bill Trick
Old 08-23-22, 11:59 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked 1,688 Times in 1,085 Posts
...When will they ever learn...
Hopefully in his next ride. Ridding a bike far without a tool kit can be a lesson learned. It's a real challenge. That's why I don't mind reoccurring threads on just what people are currently carrying in thier kits. My latest kit update is a little Tubless Tire gizmo, even though I don't use tubless tires. Yep... I'm the old guy who will stop and try to help ya out when your stranded. Carrying a light weight kit is an evolving challenge.

But not as big a challenge as carrying the stuff needed to secure your bike from theft...
Old 08-23-22, 12:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

A torn up to go menu also can work. Guess how I know.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-22, 12:31 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So basically, he told you that even if he had carried the pump and a tube or patches, the tire was too bad for that to work. Are you going to now knock him for not carrying a spare tire? Sounds to me like he also ruled out booting the tire.

We get it, you're old and you ride a trike, so obviously you need to judge everyone all the time. The problem is that your posts are generally so obnoxiously accusatory that the automatic goodwill your age would normally garner is negated.

BTW, did you actually check his pockets for patches and a mini-pump/CO2? Sounds to me like he may have had them himself. I'm sure your story will now change to you asking "do you need a pump and patches?" .so you can keep drawing your little moral of the story.
Ah--------------one of the hate filled usual few that I mentioned. You judge me for riding bents. I dont HAVE to ride a trike, I choose to because of all the benefits they offer.

You totally missed the point that it is illogical to ride 10 miles away from home with no supplies or tools.
Old 08-23-22, 12:41 PM
3alarmer

Ah--------------one of the hate filled usual few that I mentioned. You judge me for riding bents. I dont HAVE to ride a trike, I choose to because of all the benefits they offer.

You totally missed the point that it is illogical to ride 10 miles away from home with no supplies or tools.

...Happy belated National Senior Citizens' Day, man.
Old 08-23-22, 12:42 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked 5,976 Times in 3,064 Posts
When I knew nothing about bikes and was riding my brown Schwinn Varsity with only a pump mounted to the frame, I had a catastrophic flat the no amount of pumping could reconcile. Granted it was only a $200 bike, but a nice far more experienced cyclist stopped and offered help. While he was helping me fix the flat, with no quick releases to make it easy, he talked me through all the equipment I would need to carry to DIY. I immediately went to my LBS and purchased it all along with quick release skewers.

from that point toward, whenever I see someone with an issue, I offer assistance. Have only been taken up on it twice in 30 years, but all the ‘Thank you’s’ make it worthwhile.

I don’t discriminate on price, preparednesses, race or anything else. Be good, be kind and pay it forward, just like the experienced did to the kid in cutoffs on his Varsity.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-23-22, 12:46 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
You judge me for riding bents.
I'm not sure that's the reason.... But since you mentioned, it, yeah, because you ride a 'bent also!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 08-23-22, 12:55 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,439 Posts
Except the character in your story did have supplies, remember?

The actual conversation went like this. Bike trouble?? Yes, flat tiire, I got a huge screw in my tire. I have a patches and a pump.
One of the most important aspects of writing fiction is establishing consistency.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-23-22, 01:43 PM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 88 Posts
Last year I had a bad flat on one of my gravel tires which takes king kong arms to get off and back on the rim. I called an UBER XL. We had a great conversation on the way home and I stimulated the economy. My bike cost me $450 by the way.
Old 08-23-22, 01:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18567 Post(s)
Liked 16,008 Times in 7,515 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Except the character in your story did have supplies, remember?

One of the most important aspects of writing fiction is establishing consistency.
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When first we practice to deceive."--Sir Walter Scott
Old 08-23-22, 01:58 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked 8,373 Times in 3,952 Posts
Your point was to ridicule a person who was riding an expensive bike and wearing a full kit, and weave it into a dig at the entire group of cyclists who fit that category.
Old 08-23-22, 02:25 PM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,271 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Your point was to ridicule a person who was riding an expensive bike and wearing a full kit, and weave it into a dig at the entire group of cyclists who fit that category.

Attempting to build himself up by tearing others down is pretty much Ryda's stock in trade. I'd wager it's to compensate for suffering the indignity of riding a recumbent tricycle. Sadly, whenever I see someone in one of those contraptions, I now assume they're a jerk. I'm trying to fix that, but it's reflexive at this point.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-23-22, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No, for the 10000th time, you liar, I do not judge you for riding bents, I judge you for the obnoxious spew of insults, lies, condescension and nonsense you aim at people, including myself, who don't ride them.

I didn't miss anything, you've made it painfully obvious that the guy would've been in exactly the same fix whether or not he brought tools. And you still haven't explained what the cost of his bike or his kit had to do with his "logic".
Likes For livedarklions:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.