Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn road bikes a are...insert answer here

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn road bikes a are...insert answer here

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-09, 01:34 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Just get a Series 1.5 XKE and be done with it

-Kurt
Yum. Actually, one day many years ago, I put on my best suit and combed my hair and went test driving fancy cars at the various lots around town. I actually liked the 140 better than the XKE. Seemed a little more direct, less insulated, even though the XKE is faster. I've never been in an XK-120.
Honestly, I'd trade every bike in the basement for any of the 3.
Old 12-28-09, 01:40 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
My dad was into old English sports cars, so I grew up around a couple of old 120s. Damn that was a sexy car. And it must be the most beautiful sound any internal combustion engine ever made when you opened one of them up. He did have a couple of faster cars, but nothing really had the raw physical appeal of the 120.

jim
Old 12-28-09, 05:34 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by that_guy_zach
I think the Panasonic bikes, mainly the 11.8s and 12.2s will go up in Value along with all the underrated bikes of the 80s.
I'm here to tell you, that they already have. I got my Miyata 1000 and a pile of useful stuff, for my chrome 11.8.,,,,BD
Old 12-28-09, 06:22 PM
jhefner
Hebrews 10:20a

Bikes: '74 Viscount Aerospace GP

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
... confusing to a buyer of the 1970s

Originally Posted by noglider
I disagree very strongly. I never wanted to own a Varsity or anything like it, but let's examine some of the technical aspects.

Comparing a Schwinn of that variety with a Columbia reveals many fundamental differences:

The frames were both welded at high temperatures, requiring heavy, thick tubes. But the Schwinns were much stronger. Colliding with a brick wall would typically bend the Columbia frame or fork drastically. The Schwinn would be intact. Huge difference there.

The difference in bearings is major, not minor. The bearing and threaded portions are precisely ground and of very hard steel on the Schwinns. They are of soft, inferior steel on the Columbia.

The rims were prone to bending on the Columbia.

The brackets all over the bike were prone to bending on the Columbia.

The Columbia often came with super-soft steel brake calipers. These brakes didn't stop well and couldn't be adjusted well, even by a good mechanic.

When I started out as a mechanic, I confused the Schwinn with other cheap, poor-riding, heavy bikes such as Murray, Huffy, Iverson, and Columbia. The designs are similar, but the materials and construction are fundamentally different.
Many buyers were confused as well. They did not know the EF frames were different altogether; while I knew they weren't welded, I always assumed they were internally lugged frames; until I read the article on the EF process on Sheldon Brown's website this year.

If you thought the frame was welded, and you realized the bike was heavy, the bike books at the time would tell you that was a cheap bike; one to be passed up like a Huffy or Murray.

But, if well taken care of, they lasted forever. They were heavy, but they were also rugged. They were like the large American cars of the same era: heavy, slow, not great in corners; but nice riding, and built to last forever.
Old 12-28-09, 06:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Quoted: 7395 Post(s)
Liked 2,561 Times in 1,490 Posts
Exactly. Built not for speed but for durability.

I test rode that Varsity for a few miles. I went down a hill at high speed with no hands. I don't think I ever went so fast riding no-hands. And I don't regret it. I was totally in control.

But riding uphill was another experience altogether.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-28-09, 06:36 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Schwinn road bikes a are... somewhat indestructible.
This.

I picked up a '73 Varsity at the city dump this year and it works pretty much perfectly, despite obvious neglect. It cleaned up good, too.

The other thing Schwinn bikes are: nostalgic. Yeah, there were Columbias and other makes, but Schwinn was the "it" bike of the 60s and 70s.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-28-09, 06:55 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other thing Schwinn bikes are: nostalgic. Yeah, there were Columbias and other makes, but Schwinn was the "it" bike of the 60s and 70s.

Another post on this thread compared them to the old Pinto as a ugly workhorse. I would compare them to the base model Mustang of the 60's.
The Varsity, like the 6 banger auto stick Mustang was made to look like something it was not... a sports car or in the Varsity's case a sports bike.
The base Mustang was slow and it's brakes were over matched by it's weight...
But.. it was new...and it's style was appealing and they made them by the millions and so were relatively cheap.. Ford built them heavy,strong and reliable and marketed them very well so every kid wanted one. In the end they defined the era as did the Varsity.. IMHO
Old 12-28-09, 07:11 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Bingo.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 12-28-09, 07:15 PM
Kommisar89
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Exactly. Built not for speed but for durability.

I test rode that Varsity for a few miles. I went down a hill at high speed with no hands. I don't think I ever went so fast riding no-hands. And I don't regret it. I was totally in control.

But riding uphill was another experience altogether.
I had this one friend, Kevin, who used to read the stock prices in the newspaper and do other odd things that 13yo boys wouldn't normally do. He probably would have felt that durability was an important feature. Actually he eventually bought a Panasonic bicycle. The rest of us couldn't have cared less about that. We wanted to be fast and cool. And if we didn't know anything about 531 or Columbus butted tubing let alone fine craftmanship in brazing and finishing lugs, we certainly knew that the pros rode European bikes with the same paint scheme and decals as the Raleighs, Peugeots, Gitanes, Bottecchias, etc. that were in our local bike shops.
Old 12-28-09, 08:09 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Schwinn (road and other) bikes are:
classic
heavy
light
slow
fast
donors
durable
shiny
non-descript
cool
cheap
expensive

Last edited by robtown; 12-28-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 08:41 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by robtown
schwinn (road and other) bikes are:
Classic
heavy
light
slow
fast
donors
durable
shiny
non-descript
cool
cheap
expensive
collect them all!
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 12-28-09, 08:43 PM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I'm here to tell you, that they already have. I got my Miyata 1000 and a pile of useful stuff, for my chrome 11.8.,,,,BD
I know. I pick up all the ones I can. I have 2 SLT 12.2s and a Voy 11.8.
Old 12-29-09, 06:17 AM
Bikedued

I have a blue 27 speed Tiagra equipped 12.2?,,,,BD
Old 12-29-09, 06:38 AM
that_guy_zach

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
I have a blue 27 speed Tiagra equipped 12.2?,,,,BD
I know, I have been wishing I had the extra cash to pick it up. I am just used to buying the cheap, As I am sure you are too.
Old 01-01-10, 12:39 PM
soonerbills
soonerbills

Bikes: 25 at last count. One day I'll make a list

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well not to rehash a well picked over thread but.....
https://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Varsity-...item5883d836be

Somebody thinks they are worth a lot! Wow!
Old 01-01-10, 12:52 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by soonerbills
Well not to rehash a well picked over thread but.....
https://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-Varsity-...item5883d836be

Somebody thinks they are worth a lot! Wow!
I bet Bicycle Heaven bought it, so he can part it out and sell the frame for $200 on ebay. I mean, the Alvit is probably worth $200 on its own, so there you go!
Old 01-01-10, 11:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Well, it is clean!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-02-10, 12:31 AM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How may the bidding history on that sale be displayed? I like the Schwinn Varsity, but I can't imagine why a 1973 model would sell for $400, plus $65 shipping, even if it was in showroom condition.

So I guess "Schwinn road bikes are..." sometimes able to fetch inexplicably high prices.
Old 01-02-10, 01:17 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Agreed, DavidW56. That bike is fun for some purposes, but not $400. I sold one in perfect running order. I wanted $150 for it, so I listed it at $170, and a buyer surprised me by paying my asking price.

Then again, when a bike is very, very clean, it can command a heck of a high price, so there you go.

Old 01-02-10, 09:37 PM
Bikedued

There's a guy locally on CL who wants $500 for a rusty chained, split cabled, rotten tired 684. I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad.,,,,BD

He also has some internal lugged Peugeot with no wrap, for $250....
Old 01-02-10, 09:48 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
How may the bidding history on that sale be displayed? ....
It's dicknose bikes, he list everything really high and "buy it now". I'm sure he got $400 for that bike, there's a sucker born every minute....
Old 05-14-23, 05:02 AM
Blink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great buy! Nostalgia with Durability

A throwback to the days of my youth and surprisingly, most of the bikes I found were in good shape. I found a later model, 2 actually, the 1988 Premis and a 1990 434. The majority of the bikes I saw were both operational, needing very little effort to get them going. In addition, most were pretty good looking.

I am not a "serious" rider, I sought a bike at my doctors direction in order to try and get more a bit more fit. I ran an average of 30 miles a week for most of my 20 year Army career and this contributed to the two new titanium and industrial plastic hips the surgeon installed over the last couple of years at the young age of 60. This stated, I do enjoy riding and the sensation of speed. In my limited biking experience, the Premis and 434 both provide accurate shifting, sufficient braking, etc. other people are surely much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to bicycles (but I think my bikes are way cool).

I freely admit that nostalgia played a huge part in my bike search and purchase. I wasn't in a family that could afford a name brand bike when I was young and I was indeed envious of my best friend who got an Orange Crate for Christmas! I can now afford any bike I want, but I see either of these Schwinn's fully capable of meeting my needs and I think they are just awesome neat! The guy I purchased them from (Facebook Sales Group) said he was selling them from a mini warehouse auction and I paid $200 for them......total. I think I got an awesome deal!

In the wind again......Blink

​​​