Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

why drop stand so rare?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

why drop stand so rare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 06:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,929 Posts
The Walmart part makes me think not his first rodeo.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-18-23, 07:23 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 356 Posts
Wtf is a drop stand? And why is your kick stand on both sides of the bike? Commuter bikes are wild
Old 05-18-23, 07:27 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
eBay sells the dropstand your looking for
Likes For 7up:
Old 05-18-23, 09:26 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'll second the notion that you might want to start a new thread with your advice for forum members.
Counterpoint: this is how we end up with 25 different threads where people repeat the same things about kickstands. So much better to have it all in one thread, I really don't understand the opposition to reviving zombie threads for something like this.
Old 05-18-23, 09:54 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 881 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
eBay sells the dropstand your looking for
Whaddayaknow. Learned something new today. I did an Amazon search on "drop stand bicycle", and one of these contraptions comes up high in the search. But they do look like they're only suitable for nutted rear hubs and standard (non-vertical) dropouts. And the 930-gram weight likely makes it durable - and easier to pop wheelies while riding!

There may indeed come a day when a stand like this would be optimal for one of my bicycles. But I'll probably cheap out and install one of my hoarded Pletscher 2-leggers instead.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-18-23, 09:56 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A lot of folks haven't seen a proper two leg kickstand. Most commuters don't need a stand like that as they are locking up the bike. Those with cargo bikes do of course but those are cargo bikes.

The Mamachari is an interesting Japanese cargo bike hence the need for a stable stand when loading kids. Any cargo or kid carrying bike could benefit from a good stable stand but there are plenty of excellent kickstands that will work and be a touch sleeker.
FWIW, the "Mamachari" are the Japanese equivalent of the Dutch-style step-through bicycles. They can certainly be used to haul cargo and children, but they're not what people in North America consider "cargo bikes." And all Mamachari are equipped with a drop stand, with or without a child seat, simply because it's the norm. People tend to leave their bikes outside without locking them, so a drop stand comes in handy.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-19-23, 05:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3797 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Counterpoint: this is how we end up with 25 different threads where people repeat the same things about kickstands. So much better to have it all in one thread, I really don't understand the opposition to reviving zombie threads for something like this.
I don't disagree in principle. However, you'll notice the post in question had little to do with kickstands.
Old 05-19-23, 06:45 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 326 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12031 Post(s)
Liked 6,803 Times in 3,550 Posts
Don’t start.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-19-23, 07:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Don't know about anyone else, but I would find the information in posts 28-31 useful if I was interested in getting one of these, so I think the thread should be kept open.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-19-23, 10:02 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,031 Posts
Why do people think it's a troll thread? Sounds like an earnest question. And by the way- there is a place in the world for this type of stand. I went through center, rear and center dual leg stands with my wife and my son's bikes. When you have a heavily loaded rear rack, the center side stand is very unstable. A rear side stand is better, but still not as stable as the rear drop stand, and also, you can't roll away with a rear side stand- you have to kick it up first, and then get on the bike (while balancing that heavy rear rack). It's not like the center stands that you can flick up when you are already straddling the bike, or the rear drop stand that you can just 'walk off' while straddling the bike. The dual leg center stand is nifty, but when the rear rack is loaded, the front wheel will come up. When the front wheel comes up the handlebar flops to one side. Now you need one of those spring loaded centering springs on your downtube like a lot of dutch bikes have for this exact reason. The rear drop stand is also very good for general maintenance, like chain lubing, derailleur adjustment and wheel removal, because you can crank the crankset and turn the wheel all the way around without interference. The rear side stand is probably a distant second in this regard.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-20-23, 07:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4505 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,804 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Why do people think it's a troll thread?
Because we know the OP or remember them. So that is why, if you saw their posts it was a lot of very odd troll like behavior and a lot of supreme wishy-washiness and no MTBs in their life or any semblance of mountain biking. People sometimes forget or block out bad memories or just haven't been involved with the forums long enough or often enough.
Likes For veganbikes: