Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Problems with front derailleur adjustment

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 01:36 PM
ishi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First time adjusting front derailleur and all I’ve done so far is dig the hole I’m in even deeper.
When I started the front derailleur wouldn’t shift to the smallest cog; the outer cage of the derailleur only lightly scratched the chain whilst it was in the middle cog. However, after doing what a beginner does best, I’ve made the situation worse. When in first gear, the chain is still not pushed enough by the outer cage - only a light scratch. Furthermore, when shifting up from first to second gear; the inner cage goes so far and pushes the chain from the first cog onto the third cog.

As I said, I am a beginner without much experience of adjusting derailleurs. Can I somehow go back to square one and try again, or should I go to a nearby mechanic?

if further clarification or pictures are needed, please ask. Any help or tips is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ishi; 08-02-23 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-02-23, 02:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 907 Posts
Did you do anything else, like changing the crank or Bottom Bracket (BB) or????
Of the top, it sounds like a mismatch between the two.
Old 08-02-23, 03:14 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by ishi
First time adjusting front derailleur and all I’ve done so far is dig the hole I'm in even deeper.
As I said, I am a beginner without much experience of adjusting derailleurs. Can I somehow go back to square one and try again, or should I go to a nearby mechanic.
What did you do to change the adjustment so it doesn't work? Setting the front derailleur is one of the more fiddly adjustments on a bike but it's usually not hard starting from scratch if that's what's needed.
Old 08-02-23, 03:41 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5983 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,618 Posts
Some understanding of FDs will help.

In low (inner) the cable is slack, and position is controlled by the inner limit. In high (and middle on triples) the FD is hanging on the cable, so trim is done that way. The high limit's ONLY job is to prevent overshifting on that side.

That knowledge drives the process of setting up and adjusting.

Start (before attaching cable) by setting the lower limit so the cage's inner plate just clears in low (inner/inner). Now set the upper limit so it shifts crisply but not beyond, when pushing on the arm. Do multiple shifts to dial this in.

Then attach the cable leaving minimal slack, but no tension in low. Now shift to high using the lever and fine tune trim by adjusting the cable.

When dialing in, you MIGHT need to back off the inner limit a hair for a crisper shift.

NOTE - this is MY method, but there are other equally sound ways. The key to respect the functions of the two limits and cable trim.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-02-23 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 01:02 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 1,275 Times in 810 Posts
Go online and find a good video on FD adjustment, preferably for a triple. Follow each step,step by step, starting at step one (which is usually no cable, adjust height and alignment and limit screws. Don't skip any step.
Old 08-03-23, 03:24 AM
ishi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the incredibly helpful comments! None of the videos I watched beforehand had covered triple FDs, so your knowledge about them really helped. I had misunderstood the cable tension adjustment, and it now works (kind of).

My FD is weirdly shaped, in that the back end of the cage is far higher than the front (the front is 2mm above the cog), and I can’t seem to tilt it. This results in that when the rear gear is higher, i.e the chain is “lower”, the chain is rubbing on the underside of the outer cage (and won’t shift down).

Is there something else causing this, should I be able to tilt it, or do I need to install a new FD? Perhaps one shouldn’t downshift without being at the biggest cog?

Last edited by ishi; 08-03-23 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-03-23, 05:29 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 5983 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,618 Posts
The last tiltable cage FD in memory was the Simplex of over 50 years past.

FDs no longer have tiltable cages. The cages are curved to match the chainrings they're designed to work with, ie. 53t for road, or 46t for mtb.

When you use smaller chainrings than expected you get the effect you're seeing. You can also get this if the seat tube is steep, or the braze-on tab positioned poorly.

This can be especially problematic with triples and small inners. The assumption is that you won't use the innermost chainring with the outer rear sprockets.
Old 08-03-23, 06:00 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 281 Posts
Assuming the front derailleur is a proper match for the crankset..
First make sure the front d is in the correct position...the spacing between the outer guide and large chain ring is correct then the guide plate is parallel to the big chain ring.
Then follow FBinNY's info.
I don't attach the cable until the front d is correctly spaced and the space between the inner plate and inner chain ring is adequate when the rear d is in the easiest gear. Then I attach the front d cable, make sure the front d shifter is in the correct position, attach the cable and so forth.
Old 08-03-23, 06:02 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 471 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...railleur-works

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...eur-adjustment
Old 08-03-23, 11:47 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 553 Posts
Front derailleurs are made to fit not only the Radius of the Chainrings, but also the ANGLE of the Frame's Seat Tube... A dedicated and specific Triple Front der. will also have a LONGER CAGE that will nearly touch the Frame's Chain stay when adjusted to the correct height, and also follow the Chain ring Radius fairly closely..

it sounds like you have an INCORRECT front derailleur on your bike, in more ways than one.
the proper Front Derailleur will also have all the odd shapes and ridges in place to correctly and quickly shift the chain.
Old 08-03-23, 12:15 PM
eddy m

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 48 Posts
All those procedures work great for adjusting new derailers, but the cage gets bent out of shape whenever you drop the chain. Try squeezing the cage to make it narrower, and try pinching the front of the cage. Almost any derailer with enough throw and a long enough cage will work with any chainring. The curvature of the cage is not that critical. Also, get a chain keeper on the down tube to prevent chain drops, then it's easy to adjust so that it always shifts to the small ring.
If none of that works buy a new derailer. Also a chainkeeper.

em