Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help with Campagnolo Cassette Variations?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 11:42 AM
Bernie77

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I have an unused set of 2017 Campagnolo Zonda wheels with a hub for a 9/10/11 gear cassette. I asked at a couple of bike shops and was told that "any Campagnolo 9/10/11 cassette would work." I balked at the new prices I was quoted (around $150) so I went onto eBay and found a lightly used 9 speed cassette with lock ring and bought it. Just got here an hour ago and it does not fit. The splines don't match the recesses and I don't need to get out my dial calipers to see that the diameter of the gear openings is smaller than the diameter of the hub. Shame on me but I don't see any thread in my hub to accept a lock ring, or I don't understand how the cassettes go together - I'm a month away from 69 and have always used freewheel hubs. And I'm not the kind of guy to return something when I messed up so I'll put it on Craigslist or some such and sell it.

Any chance someone can tell me what cassette I need for my Zonda wheel and what generation of cassette I bought? If it helps, the largest gear is marked Titanium and overall the set is incredibly light.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-02-23, 12:56 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 542 Posts
i know what the problem is.. you chose to buy campagnolo.

good luck, and wear garlic... 'cuz they wanna suck your blood.

price those proprietary campy chainrings with one screwhole that only matches their goofy cranksets some time....!$$$!

does your freehub look like this one?
https://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/ca...ngs/86840.html

or like this one?
https://www.totalcycling.com/en/Camp...e/m-19015.aspx

now... compare the spline patterns to your recently purchased cassette's spline pattern... ignore color variance and internal shapes/seals. i'm thinking your hub may have a shimano-splined freehub on it.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-02-23 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-02-23, 01:04 PM
Bernie77

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
i know what the problem is.. you chose to buy campagnolo.

good luck, and wear garlic... 'cuz they wanta suck your blood.
Thanks for the bump. I'm thinking about selling the wheels and the cassette on CL and calling it a day. Frustrating and I've got another two sets of perfectly good wheels. Just thought it would be fun. . . . . .
Old 08-02-23, 01:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 1,741 Times in 1,008 Posts
Is it possible that your wheels have a Shimano compatible free hub? Those do exist
Old 08-02-23, 01:21 PM
Bernie77

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Is it possible that your wheels have a Shimano compatible free hub? Those do exist
Give that man a cigar! As a result of your post I looked back through the paperwork that came with the wheels - still have the original box - and in tiny print it says Shimano. Outstanding - thanks to you, ze case is sol-ved.
Old 08-02-23, 01:48 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by Bernie77
Thanks for the bump. I'm thinking about selling the wheels and the cassette on CL and calling it a day. Frustrating and I've got another two sets of perfectly good wheels. Just thought it would be fun. . . . . .
i updated the post with links to a couple images... take a peek and report back.

i'm not a fan of campy parts... their 135mm BCD cranks, the 110-110-110-110-112 bcd cranks... and those ever-so-slightly smaller cable end holes in campy shifters... etc.

and for the record.. Zonda wheels are known for being a bit too flexible, side to side... Tire rub noted by multiple owners... and the Vento is even worse in that regard... i once bent a Vento front while hammering up a steep hill... no bumps, no crash.. just riding.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-02-23 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 10:26 AM
atnyc

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Bernie77
Give that man a cigar! As a result of your post I looked back through the paperwork that came with the wheels - still have the original box - and in tiny print it says Shimano. Outstanding - thanks to you, ze case is sol-ved.
You didn’t read Maddog34’s post to the end. He too, suggested you may have a Shimano hub. Even suggested how to verify!

Also, the bike shop who told you “any Campagnolo cassette” is sloppy too. They should have known Campagnolo wheels can come in Shimano hubs. Fulcrum is another.

Last edited by atnyc; 08-03-23 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 11:33 AM
maddog34

Originally Posted by atnyc
You didn’t read Maddog34’s post to the end. He too, suggested you may have a Shimano hub. Even suggested how to verify! Shame on you.

Also, the bike shop who told you “any Campagnolo cassette” is sloppy too. They should have known Campagnolo wheels can come in Shimano hubs. Fulcrum is another.
Actually, i added the links and final sentences at about the same time acjphil posted his response.
Old 08-04-23, 07:00 AM
Bernie77

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Actually, i added the links and final sentences at about the same time acjphil posted his response.
Thanks for both the links and the explanation on the update. Shame on who?

Sorry for the delay - I got blocked both from posting and sending a PM because I reached the 5 posts in 24 hours cap and don't have PM privileges yet.

I went to a local bike shop and had the sales guy put the Shimano cassette on the wheel - I wasn't going to take the chance of buying another cassette and finding it didn't fit for some reason. Now I can use my Zonza wheelset - ahhhh.

All's well, and all of that.
Likes For Bernie77:
Old 08-04-23, 10:10 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked 2,245 Times in 1,118 Posts
@Bernie77 Glad you found the solution! Incompatibility abounds regardless of the manufacturer. A lot of DA parts are unique and unserviceable despite exploded diagrams and parts lists. Get parts can be very challenging. Pick your poison.