Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hi! New to vintage road bikes

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-23, 11:08 PM
colnago_zuub

Bikes: Colnago C96, Urban Arrow

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hi everyone. I’ve been I to biking since I can remember, most mountain bikes and more recently…cargo bike to haul the kids around, because life happens lol. I’ve always wanted to get a vintage road bike, and I finally pulled the trigger. Now it’s time to begin my YouTube binge on how it’s actually done Hopefully this Colnago C96, circa 1996, will come back to life.
Likes For colnago_zuub:
Old 09-25-23, 06:16 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Liked 5,827 Times in 2,502 Posts
Welcome.
Colnago is a good start with older bikes. I've missed that one amongst my Italian riders. C&V can fill the gaps if yourTube doesn't answer all your questions.
Old 10-01-23, 12:47 PM
Atmangene
Back in the saddle again.

Bikes: Trek 1400 Schwinn Sport

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ciscato

Originally Posted by colnago_zuub
Hi everyone. I’ve been I to biking since I can remember, most mountain bikes and more recently…cargo bike to haul the kids around, because life happens lol. I’ve always wanted to get a vintage road bike, and I finally pulled the trigger. Now it’s time to begin my YouTube binge on how it’s actually done Hopefully this Colnago C96, circa 1996, will come back to life.
Welcome, I too have spent most of my life on mountain bikes. I had the 1999 HARO EXTREME. What a good company HARO is. All the parts on my bike were guaranteed for life. At the bottom of a steep ravine I hit a ten inch rut and broke the rear triangle( whatever that is called) and HARO mailed me a new one immediately to BAJA Mexico. I am an empty nester my last two boys grown and forging their own way and now have too much time on my hands. I have found a Trek 1400 fully decked out for racing and at 65 wish to become competitive. Welcome to the forum...Gene

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-02-23 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-01-23, 01:06 PM
Atmangene
Back in the saddle again.

Bikes: Trek 1400 Schwinn Sport

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Ciscato

Originally Posted by Atmangene
Welcome, I too have spent most of my life on mountain bikes. I had the 1999 HARO EXTREME. What a good company HARO is. All the parts on my bike were guaranteed for life. At the bottom of a steep ravine I hit a ten inch rut and broke the rear triangle( whatever that is called) and HARO mailed me a new one immediately to BAJA Mexico. I am an empty nester my last two boys grown and forging their own way and now have too much time on my hands. I have found a Trek 1400 fully decked out for racing and at 65 wish to become competitive. Welcome to the forum...Gene
I forgot to mention while stationed in Vicenza Italy I walked into an obscure bike shop and explained in broken Italian that I wanted a nice bike to ride around the countryside. The shop was old, dimly lit except his work table. Frames and parts everywhere. When I came back he had the most beautiful bike that I had ever seen on his work table. Light blue, Ciscato was the name on the frame. He told me that he used to race and that this frame was from one of his older bikes. He told me that the Campignolo kit was experimental equipment not to be found on the market. The tires (sew-ups) I think he called them were no bigger round than pencils which even then cost thirty dollars. The bike weighed just over 16 pounds. I actually got a speeding ticket on it in Ft Collins Co. Coming down a slight hill coming into town I was stopped for doing 53 mph in a 25 mile an hour zone in front of a school and ran a stop sign. I was fresh out of the ARMY at 22 years old and used to ride my bike 10 miles into town to work out. I used to make that ride in just under 30 min. Oh to be young again. Welcome to the forum as I am a new member also. I don't have much knowledge of bikes, but I do have many life stories about riding.

Last edited by cb400bill; 10-02-23 at 01:31 PM.
Likes For Atmangene:
Old 10-02-23, 01:21 PM
rodymanners

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Last edited by rodymanners; 10-03-23 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-07-23, 01:49 PM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 ‘77 Tommasini '78 Motobecane Le Champion ‘80’s Conti Special '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Liked 1,360 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago_zuub
Welcome to the Forum and congrats on having good taste in picking your vintage road bike. YouTube vids are great for learning mechanicing. Lots of great threads here in the Classic and Vintage forum about specific problems and solutions too. Enjoy that Colnago.
Old 10-08-23, 07:44 AM
lsubiker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome!