Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tuk tuks have come to NYC!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 11:18 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 186 Posts

Or at least to Brooklyn. I've seen three of these now so I'm assuming I'll see more. All of them were using the bike lanes and none had license plates. Before this, I don't think I've seen one of these since I visited Thailand years and years ago.

They don't really bother me since they don't go very fast; I just think it's interesting how our transportation system keeps "evolving" since the police stopped enforcing any kinds of rules regarding the use of all the new bike lanes.

Last edited by Headpost; 11-27-23 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-28-23, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18534 Post(s)
Liked 15,896 Times in 7,461 Posts
What could possibly go wrong?
Old 11-28-23, 07:40 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 400 Posts
Saw one in Brooklyn in September. I think it was electric. It wasn't very fast and we passed it without incident.

We already have cargo ebikes pulling trailers with 4+ giant Rubbermaid storage bins, so this is not that different. The more non-car traffic we have on the streets, the more the city will have to expand infrastructure to support them. I'm all for that.
Old 11-30-23, 04:11 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2514 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 531 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
The more non-car traffic we have on the streets, the more the city will have to expand infrastructure to support them. I'm all for that.
I'd like to think that way too, but I left NYC over 15 years ago because it was clear that the cycling infrastructure was never going to get but so far there. NJ isn't much different. Both are incredibly old cities and their urban cores were developed when vehicles were MUCH smaller and far fewer, and it was built WELL. The Brooklyn Bridge is going to outlive us all. All the 'improvements' to infrastructure on the East Coast HAVE to be implemented at a steep cost to vehicle traffic because there simply isn't the space to do anything else. In most cases drivers fight back, either directly in aggression towards cyclists in shared spaces, or by lobbying lawmakers. Those Tuk tuks don't have long before they are banned, or regulated out of existence. Drivers, not cyclists, will be the ones out front with the pitchforks and torches, but things are probably going to have to get worse before the first bonfires are lit.
Old 11-30-23, 07:44 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 843 Times in 400 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'd like to think that way too, but I left NYC over 15 years ago because it was clear that the cycling infrastructure was never going to get but so far there. NJ isn't much different. Both are incredibly old cities and their urban cores were developed when vehicles were MUCH smaller and far fewer, and it was built WELL. The Brooklyn Bridge is going to outlive us all. All the 'improvements' to infrastructure on the East Coast HAVE to be implemented at a steep cost to vehicle traffic because there simply isn't the space to do anything else. In most cases drivers fight back, either directly in aggression towards cyclists in shared spaces, or by lobbying lawmakers. Those Tuk tuks don't have long before they are banned, or regulated out of existence. Drivers, not cyclists, will be the ones out front with the pitchforks and torches, but things are probably going to have to get worse before the first bonfires are lit.
I don't know where in NJ you are, but I'm in Central Jersey and New York City's bike infrastructure is so much better. The cycling is drastically different than it was 15 years ago, with many more miles of bike lanes. Just take a look at the growth of protected bike lanes....

And the last page of this report has a map.
https://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloa...eport-2021.pdf
Likes For john m flores: