Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

FS: Restored 1982 Pro-Miyata (60cm)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-23, 09:43 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 610 Posts

Hello folks,

This bicycle is sold! Thanks for looking... I'll be shipped to the new owner right after the holidays and I'm leaving the original description here for now:

I just posted about this bicycle yesterday and would like to take it for a couple of shake down rides but a few miles around the neighborhood have confirmed that it's solid and ready to ride. The only mechanical issue is that the chain rings are both slightly warped but with the current setup everything trims fine, and it rides quietly in all of the gears. The restoration isn't perfect as the semi-gloss 2-stage clear coat isn't an excellent finish, the headtube decal is smaller than original because I didn't think about the fact that the reproduction might be made for a smaller frame size, and the blue powder coating is excellent overall but has a hiccup on the lower top tube lug (visible in one of the photos) and another little bubble on top of the non-drive side fork crown, and I chipped a couple of little bits around the seat lug and on top of a rear stay during the rebuilding process. Although it's not perfect it should be ready to ride for years to come! Below is the photo album to check it out in detail:

Restored Pro-Miyata (1982, 60cm) | Flickr

The frame is measured 60cm center-to-top with a 56.5cm top tube. The angles are 74 degrees on the seat tube and 73 degrees on the head tube. The stem is 120mm and the handlebars are 39cm center-to-center.

A friend of mine gave me this bike and I would also like to get around to showing it off to him before I part ways with it, but he was aware that it is too small for me and that I would be selling it. I replaced some of the parts (particularly the wheelset and handlebars) and found a NOS aero water bottle as the bike originally came with, and of course all of the consumables are new. The tires are Continental GP 5000s with approximately 800 miles on them. The toe straps and clips are the only things shown that are not included.

I have about $500 in this rebuild so that's all I'm hoping to get back. The price is $500 + S/H within the Continental US via Bikeflights/UPS. Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 12-08-23 at 08:41 AM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 11-26-23, 10:27 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,216 Times in 653 Posts
That's a fair price for this. A size too small for me too, unfortunately. Good luck with it.
Old 11-28-23, 09:50 AM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Given the condition and pedigree of this frame, that is an excellent price on bike that is (thankfully) too big for me. I have Team Miyata from 87 and it's my favorite bike.
Old 12-02-23, 09:56 AM
Kilroy1988 

A slightly pre-emptive weekend bump to note that the toe clips and straps are not included, and I originally forgot to mention that in the advert.

-Gregory
Old 12-02-23, 11:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,593 Posts
I'd like to put 1st dibb on this. I have the exact same bike except I've thought mine was an '83 but could be wrong, it spent a lot of time outdoors and has a lot of rust, no under custom mixed fingernail polish and it came with no parts but some Superbe parts rusted beyond salvage so its running Cyclone (very, very well!) and I think mine is a size smaller.

That last part is the deal sealer or breaker and I won't know the answer 'till this afternoon. Current size is right on perfect; simply as good as it gets. Now, some of the parts I wont use. Stem. 120 is 35 mm too short and I have a gorgeous 155 stainless steel Nitto! I'm running a Campy triple that this body needs. And sewups but those Superbe hubs would look gorgeous inside some rims I have. Seat and pedals I'll change.

I'll be back this afternoon with the answer on my current frame size. Till then, fellows, PM the OP and be next in line. The ride on those frames is as superbe as the parts (and even if you settle for Cyclone!) And this bike absolutely loves skinny sewups. Blasted over about 20 of ripped up pavement ending with a pothole edge at very high speed last Sept on Cycle Oregon with a (undersized) 23c rear at 110 psi and the bike just said "no biggie. I can do that all day."
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-02-23, 11:50 AM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The ride on those frames is as superbe as the parts (and even if you settle for Cyclone!) And this bike absolutely loves skinny sewups. Blasted over about 20 of ripped up pavement ending with a pothole edge at very high speed last Sept on Cycle Oregon with a (undersized) 23c rear at 110 psi and the bike just said "no biggie. I can do that all day."
I really hardly took it out for more than a few neighborhood spins, but I could tell that your description of its riding characteristics is spot on and it's definitely the sort of bike I'd enjoy riding more. But the sizing on these frames was a bit weird and this one's just a bit too small for me and the next size up would be a bit too large! I take a 61-62cm seat tube (center-to-top) and this was either 60 or 63 on the top end! I also don't like riding with stems this long because the control seems slow for me, but with the short top tube on these frames it's also a requirement.

-Gregory
Old 12-02-23, 04:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4854 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,593 Posts
Just went out and looked. In English fashion - 23 1/2 on the nose. = 59.7cm. I'll take it! PM me. Paypal? Do you want to hang on to parts I won't use?

(I raced a Fuji Pro of this size that I just loved. A bike at its best going down Smuggler's Notch as lead or second rider catching the first in races. An all day rider. 175 miles solo a couple of times. The Pro Miyata is simply better. It is obvious a lot of quality thought and observations happened in the 6 years between the two bikes. And likewise in tubing types and thicknesses. (Does your bike have the aero seatstays and fork blades? I saw those on mine and thought "well there's a compromise. Let's see what it does to the ride." After the first tide - "this is it!" Never sweated the slightly faster tubes again.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-02-23, 04:53 PM
Kilroy1988 

Just went out and looked. In English fashion - 23 1/2 on the nose. = 59.7cm. I'll take it! PM me. Paypal? Do you want to hang on to parts I won't use?
Hello,

I just sent you a PM. I don't personally have any use for the parts you won't be using and I'm rather isolated out here in the San Joaquin Valley. If you want to donate them to a co-op up there or something or know someone who'd take them off your hands for a price I think that'd be the best route.

Yes, the frame does have the aero stays, which I think are a cool touch.

I want to re-emphasize the points I made about the quality of the fresh powder/paint job mentioned above. It looks good but it's not a shiny finish and it will definitely protect the frame for a long time to come. My impression is that you're after a rider so I think it should suit you well, but I don't want anyone to be deceived into thinking they'll be getting a CycleArt quality refinish.

Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 12-03-23, 09:12 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2368 Post(s)
Liked 2,893 Times in 1,578 Posts
I'd like to put 1st dibb on this. I have the exact same bike except I've thought mine was an '83 but could be wrong, it spent a lot of time outdoors and has a lot of rust, no under custom mixed fingernail polish and it came with no parts but some Superbe parts rusted beyond salvage so its running Cyclone (very, very well!) and I think mine is a size smaller.

That last part is the deal sealer or breaker and I won't know the answer 'till this afternoon. Current size is right on perfect; simply as good as it gets. Now, some of the parts I wont use. Stem. 120 is 35 mm too short and I have a gorgeous 155 stainless steel Nitto! I'm running a Campy triple that this body needs. And sewups but those Superbe hubs would look gorgeous inside some rims I have. Seat and pedals I'll change.

I'll be back this afternoon with the answer on my current frame size. Till then, fellows, PM the OP and be next in line. The ride on those frames is as superbe as the parts (and even if you settle for Cyclone!) And this bike absolutely loves skinny sewups. Blasted over about 20 of ripped up pavement ending with a pothole edge at very high speed last Sept on Cycle Oregon with a (undersized) 23c rear at 110 psi and the bike just said "no biggie. I can do that all day."
My 84 team is the same way

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-03-23, 09:20 PM
Kilroy1988 

Pending a payment via snail mail this bicycle is sold to the man on the Mooney...

(EDIT: Payment received! Sold!)

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 12-08-23 at 08:41 AM.
Likes For Kilroy1988: