Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reliable Source for Low Cost TPU Inner Tubes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Reliable Source for Low Cost TPU Inner Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 11:29 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,858 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
it blew 180 degrees from the valve stem, where it was folded before rolling up.
Gee, I wonder why?
Old 12-23-23, 11:57 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I have played around with the idea, but don't get it. To purchase 2 tubes and a couple of spares I'd have to shell out over $100. How much faster will that make me? At least new wheels or a new jersey looks cool, but with TPU I fear I might be lighter in the wallet but still a mid-pack rider at best.

Probably the future, but not yet.
Rest assured no matter how much we spend and on what, unless it’s on a e-bike, mid-pack riders we will be!

I am a happy user of tubeless and tpu tubes are a great spare to carry should you encounter a situation where the cut is so large a tire liner and tube is the last resort. After tens of thousands of km including month long tours in developing countries using lightweight gravel tires I have yet to need one.
Old 12-23-23, 12:27 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Rest assured no matter how much we spend and on what, unless it’s on a e-bike, mid-pack riders we will be!

I am a happy user of tubeless and tpu tubes are a great spare to carry should you encounter a situation where the cut is so large a tire liner and tube is the last resort. After tens of thousands of km including month long tours in developing countries using lightweight gravel tires I have yet to need one.
The compact size has been what I find attractive about TPU. It seems like a good idea for carry spares. Seems like you could probably carry two in the space of one butyl tube. I have almost no interest in them from a performance standpoint. BTW, I went tubeless last year only because I watched a YouTube video on how to make your own home-brew sealant. I realized that I had the right components on hand and thought it would be fun to try. I'm over 4000 miles with no puncture that has required maintenance. I've had a couple slow leaks that self-healed. But that's it. I kinda expected to go back to using butyl tubes, but everything just keeps working so far.
Old 12-23-23, 04:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3643 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,858 Posts
guy riding next to me. Pow ! it blew 180 degrees from the valve stem, where it was folded before rolling up. the tube had about a 2" rip.

he had just installed it.
I’m calling pilot error on this one. Improper installation.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-23-23, 06:44 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,996 Times in 877 Posts
if a front tire blows out at speed you're going down.

These things may be light but when they fail, they fracture with a "bang" not "p-s-s-s-t" like a butyl tube

for a race or record attempt maybe. I don't trust them.

/markp
i have not had that be the case. I have only used Schwalbe aerothanes tpu tubes but I have had two punctures one front one rear and both times they were slow and the one was a a fairly big puncture. they did not go instantly flat like most flats I have had.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-23-23, 06:46 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by smd4
I’m calling pilot error on this one. Improper installation.
ditto. or really cheap tpu tubes....
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike-t...han-tpu-tubes/

Last edited by jadmt; 12-23-23 at 06:50 PM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 12-25-23, 08:21 PM
danallen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
That sounds like user issue. With TPU tubes, it is extremely important that you not pinch the tube under the tire during installation. Because of how thin and floppy the TPU is, it's very hard to avoid doing that. What I do is, after I get most of the second bead on, I inflate the TPU tube so it's holding its shape (I think the documentation tells you to inflate to 5 psi which seems too much), and then carefully seat the rest of the bead. While you are seating the bead with one hand, the other hand needs to be pressing hard on the tire pushing towards the other side, to shift the tube as far away from the seating bead as possible. I learned this after pinching a few TPU tubes as well.
I will take a shot at applying what you posted.
Old 12-25-23, 08:38 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I’ve read enough posts where people say it’s literally impossible to mount some tires without levers or a tire jack. I’m truly curious to see how difficult these tires can be. But since I only own one bike with little incentive to get something more modern, I’ll likely never get to experience these PITA tires.
If you can find a way to try mounting Continental Grand Prix 4000 or 5000, or a Gatorskin, on a 700c wheel, you might get a firsr hand experience of the difficult to mount tire.
Old 12-25-23, 09:09 PM
danallen

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
it always goes back to economics theory: TAANSTAAFL There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

If brand name tubes are $26 to $38 each on sale, the chances that a 5 dollar tube have any quality are pretty low https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...bes?fltr=48005

OP has already blown the cost of 5 tubes if low cost is goal, get light weight, good quality butyl tubes
Even though my IQ is much lower than average, and immensely lower than yours, I have become aware of the principles spelled out in your post. I do not expect you or anyone else to find value from informatiom I share, but I apm going to share some exoerience of mine anyway.

Based on what you posted, it would be impossible to buy a new Continental Grand Prix 5000 700c clincher at a price sustantially lower than the price found on biketiresdirect.com. I've always found those tires for 39.99.

I found that low pricing on high end bicycles can be found on ebay, by focusing on bikes offered with "local pickup only." The market is kept very small for those bikes, causing the pricing to be low. For example, earlier thus year I bought two 2008 Trek Madone bikes in perfect condition. One cost $400, and the other cost $470. To get the bikes shipped to my house, I contacted the sellers before making the purchases, asking if they were open to me arranging local pickup through a mover. In neither case did i have to get a mover to pickup the bike from the seller. The sellers were delighted to take the bikes to bike shops I found through BikeFlights.com. For $60, the shops packed the bikes in Boxes, and for $90, ups pucked up the bikes from the shops and brought them to my house.

With regard to inner tubes, i have seen quality butyl tubes selling for $15-$25, but i never had to pay anywhere near that, by looking for bulk sales on ebay. Here is a set of 10 continental butyl tubes for $65.50

I suspect tpu tubes can be found for pricrs closer to $5 than the prices you mentioned. It is possible I already found some already, but installed them improperly, creating the failures i mentioned.

Last edited by danallen; 12-25-23 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-25-23, 10:06 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by danallen
If you can find a way to try mounting Continental Grand Prix 4000 or 5000, or a Gatorskin, on a 700c wheel, you might get a firsr hand experience of the difficult to mount tire.
i am running gp5000 in 700x32 and both were easy mounts.
Old 12-27-23, 08:16 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 345 Posts
I’ve read enough posts where people say it’s literally impossible to mount some tires without levers or a tire jack. I’m truly curious to see how difficult these tires can be. But since I only own one bike with little incentive to get something more modern, I’ll likely never get to experience these PITA tires.
I don’t know if you are restricting this challenge to tubed tyres only but I can promise you GP5000TLs are chuffing near impossible to mount on Bontrager Aeolus 5 rims WITH tyre levers.
Old 12-27-23, 01:39 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2394 Post(s)
Liked 2,951 Times in 1,611 Posts
I get mounting tubeless tires might be tough. But since you’re not using a super-fragile inner tube, I don’t think it’s an issue to use tire levers to install a tire.

Just the level of difficulty you describe here is another reason dissuading me from wanting to go tubeless.
tires being hard to mount is dependent on the combo of tire and rim, not just the tire

I have had tubed clincher I needed to use a tire jack to get on.

I have also had tires (Gravel king 28's that were super easy to get on a mavic open pro rim, but very hard to get on a mavic MA40 rim

By all accounts tubeless ready are harder to mount with stiffer side walls etc.....but I have no hands on ymmv

If a tire is hard to mount, once mounted I wait a week or two to let it stretch and then see if I can get it off and back on with what I carry with me. I do carry a metal lever now due to some difficult rim/tire combos

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 12-30-23, 02:13 PM
PaulJensen

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 - Ibis Cousin It tandem - Zizzo Liberte folding bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
I think I’ll put butyl tubes under the Conti 5000’s then pump them hard for a few weeks, then replace those with TPU tubes… Good or bad idea…???…