Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Asking for Part Verification for Custom Drivetrain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Asking for Part Verification for Custom Drivetrain

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-23, 12:43 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 680 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Nice conjecture about it being a fake chain. Nevermind the fact that I took it from the box directly from the North American distributor and sold it to myself at employee discount rate.

What the picture shows is the sideplates of the 1 single extra link I pressed back into the chain failed to exert enough swaging force to resist the chain link twisting in half when one side engaged the adjacent cog as it tends to do when one wishes to shift.

Thinner plates offer less area in the bore of each hole for interface and repeated pin insertion and removal swells up the hole resulting in looser interference fit. In short the pin fitment into each side-plate is more easily compromised than on thicker plates. In higher speed chains like 10, 11, 12 a pin insertion event should be considered a 1-time deal. Since the factory already did it once...You do the math.
this was a great post. that's exactly what I thought happened.

I'm not sure I could put a chain back together with a couple of rocks found at the trail side.

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 12-30-23, 02:39 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
this was a great post. that's exactly what I thought happened.

I'm not sure I could put a chain back together with a couple of rocks found at the trail side.

/markp
I've done that once on my e-bike. The plate separated from the pin on one side. I was able to line the plate up with the pin and using one rock as an anvil and the other as a hammer, hammer the plate back onto the pin.

For a moment I was tempted to continue my ride. But better sense prevailed and I headed directly home. Since then I carry a chain tool (that I've tested and know works well) as part of a multi-tool and a spare quick link. Of course, now that I'm properly prepared, I haven't had a chain problem.