Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question about Online retailer

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 10:47 PM
DavidSSS

Bikes: Auren Swift and Alegro T1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi

New here, not sure how active I will be but will look in.

I bought a bike earlier this year with Campagnolo Record 12 Speed Groupset (it is wonderful!) and, of course, spares are not cheap for Campy groupsets. I accept this but do look around at prices.

I came across this site: www dot campagnolobike dot com and their prices are amazing, and I do mean amazing.

For example, the cassette for 12 speed is 79% off, see www dot campagnolobike dot com / campagnolo-super-record-12-speed-cassette-discount/

Now, 79% off is stunning, but, is it too good to be true? It's not like this is an old groupset and they are trying to sell of the last of their stock, this is a cassette for a current groupset.

So, my question is: has anyone had any dealings with this mob? I figure they are in the USA since they ship via the US Postal Service so hoping someone here might know something.

Thanks
DS

PS: sorry the links above aren't links, don't have 10 posts so can't post links. I figure this is so people don't come here and post free advertising with 1 post and disappear.
Old 12-28-23, 11:10 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 200 Posts
Nope

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-28-23, 11:21 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 743 Posts
A quick search of the site's trustworthiness received mixed results, the site was originally set up over a year ago which gives credence to it not being a popup site to steal money but in that year's time it hasn't received a single review. So no one has claimed to be ripped off yet but no one has had a positive experience yet. The lack of a phone number to call is always a red flag, interestingly their outlet store has more honest looking pricing than their regular store which has seriously questionable pricing that look too good to be true. You could always email them for a phone number and see if they send one, the address is an office building so no clue there.
Old 12-28-23, 11:29 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
You know what they say about something too good to be true… it almost always is!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 12-29-23, 12:03 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 151 Posts
So you're saying there is no 90 cent Ekar groupset?
Old 12-29-23, 02:08 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
It's another spoofing scamming website that has cropped up over the last few years for many brands across the board. There is a pattern to them all. First check the "About us", it doesn't say anything specific. The the "contact us".
No phone number is listed.
And the address is listed as :
480 California Ave STE 301
Palo Alto NY US

Did you catch that ? Palo Alto New York, 94306 ? Palo Alto is in [size=13px]California[/size], hah hah . I've seen enough of these that I check the addresses on gmaps and every time it's a office suite with a different name to the business. This isn't even to mention the "too good to be true" pricing. You're better off seeking a "deal" from one of the many European cycling websites. The shipping can be high, but it depends on what you buy as to whether the total cost is worth it.
Old 12-29-23, 03:55 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1766 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 730 Posts
DavidSSS, keep in mind Campagnolo Record is top shelf stuff and Campagnolo branded cassettes and chains will be priced accordingly, much the same with Dura Ace. There are aftermarket makers for those consumable items that are significantly less costly, yet work just as well. I use a Shimano cassette and KMC chain with my Record 11 speed drive train and it works flawlessly.
Old 12-29-23, 04:34 AM
DavidSSS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Huge thanks to you all.

I did look for an address but never found one on the site (just looked, I really should open my eyes, on the contact form!). But, yeah, Palo Alto in New York. Even I, from the other side of the world, knew Palo Alto was in California. I must say I really don't understand how they make such errors when creating a site like this.

I did email them about delivery to Australia, no reply, so that was suss already.

TiHabanero, you are quite correct, Record is not a cheap groupset, which is why I was very surprised by those prices.

Looks like I will be paying the usual price for spares, such is life, they do last well and it works very well. I wasn't expecting parts to be cheap for a campy groupset!

DS
Likes For DavidSSS:
Old 12-29-23, 06:28 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18593 Post(s)
Liked 16,082 Times in 7,549 Posts
There’s also a Palo Alto in PA. Mexico and Rome are in NY. So are Verona, Palermo and Amsterdam.

Why spend the money traveling to Europe or south of the border?
Old 12-29-23, 07:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 1,553 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidSSS
Hi

New here, not sure how active I will be but will look in.
and not to be confused with DaveSSS
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-29-23, 07:22 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 408 Posts
Yes, of course that site is totally legit, and always has everything in stock...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 12-29-23, 08:30 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4329 Post(s)
Liked 1,404 Times in 981 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A quick search of the site's trustworthiness received mixed results, the site was originally set up over a year ago which gives credence to it not being a popup site to steal money but in that year's time it hasn't received a single review.
Given that it’s clearly a pop-up site to steal people’s money, when the domain was registered is not useful.

A year is still a rather short time.

Note that domains can be registered before it’s used (that is, it’s not an indication of how long the website has been active).

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-29-23 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-29-23, 08:34 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Garthr
It's another spoofing scamming website that has cropped up over the last few years for many brands across the board. There is a pattern to them all. First check the "About us", it doesn't say anything specific. The the "contact us".
No phone number is listed.
And the address is listed as :
480 California Ave STE 301
Palo Alto NY US

Did you catch that ? Palo Alto New York, 94306 ? Palo Alto is in [size=13px]California[/size], hah hah . I've seen enough of these that I check the addresses on gmaps and every time it's a office suite with a different name to the business.
The ZIP code is for Palo Alto in CA.

The address is also “suite” (a PO Box, basically).

The “corporate headquarters” are in Alabama.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-29-23 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-29-23, 08:50 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
David, try Bike24.com in Germany. They're a good and legit retailer. I have no idea if these are good prices for the groups however, I'm not up to speed on those.

https://www.bike24.com/road-groupset...ort=price_desc
Old 12-29-23, 08:54 AM
njkayaker

So, my question is: has anyone had any dealings with this mob? I figure they are in the USA since they ship via the US Postal Service so hoping someone here might know something.
$1 wheel sets? $1 12 speed groups?

If it’s looks “too good to be true” (that is, if it looks like they might be lying), why wouldn’t they be lying about where they are located or what they use for shipping?

========================

It’s obviously a fake website.
  • Prices “too good to be true”. (Is it reasonable to expect they be able to sell for way-below wholesale price when other established companies can’t?).
  • Use of official Campy logo.
  • Odd/goofy/fake address. One that doesn’t show up in Google street view.
  • No phone number. They say you can call them but there’s no phone number.
  • Generic looking style for website (it’s using a template).
  • Generic and non-specific text for info about the company. Look at the About Us page.
  • The “headquarters” are in Alabama (inconsistent with other address).
  • Short domain registration (you want years). A year isn’t enough to mean anything.

Last edited by njkayaker; 12-29-23 at 08:58 AM.
Old 12-29-23, 09:01 AM
arider

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The ZIP code is for Palo Alto in CA.

The address is also “suite” (a PO Box, basically).

The “corporate headquarters” are in Alabama.
"ShopCyclusUsa" has corporate headquarters in Alabama as well. Street address in Las Vegas. A Walmart as I understand.
Old 12-29-23, 05:22 PM
DavidSSS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
David, try Bike24.com in Germany. They're a good and legit retailer. I have no idea if these are good prices for the groups however, I'm not up to speed on those.
Yeah, Bike24 are pretty reliable. I tend to go there when I want a few things as postage to Aus is not cheap, then again, we often pay more for things here. Also, if you are buying, for example, Shimano stuff, you can't get it sent to Australia because Shimano only allow you to purchase through their Australian distributor. The upshot for me has been to buy Miche chains and the like for the bike with Shimano so they just end up losing sales.

Quite a scam the fake website, at least I am wary enough not to have tried to purchase from them. Looking at prices here, once the exchange rate is factored in, the prices at some online and physical shops in Australia are not much more than overseas.

DS
Likes For DavidSSS:
Old 12-29-23, 07:48 PM
Bleu

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
There’s also a Palo Alto in PA. Mexico and Rome are in NY. So are Verona, Palermo and Amsterdam.

Why spend the money traveling to Europe or south of the border?
a 9xxxx zip code is in California.
Old 12-29-23, 07:59 PM
spclark 

Bikes: 1972 Motobecane Grand Record, 2022 Kona Dew+

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 114 Posts
Looking at prices here, once the exchange rate is factored in, the prices at some online and physical shops in Australia are not much more than overseas.
S'why it's better to shop local when you can, if the locals have (or can get) what you want. May have to wait a bit but at minimum you have a fallback if what get's delivered isn't what you thought you were going to get.
Likes For spclark:
Old 12-29-23, 08:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,705 Times in 1,093 Posts
Hi New here, not sure how active I will be but will look in. I bought a bike earlier this year with Campagnolo Record 12 Speed Groupset (it is wonderful!)...
Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to pics and stats on your bike in the future. Hope ta see more of you posting...
Old 12-30-23, 12:26 AM
DavidSSS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spclark
S'why it's better to shop local when you can, if the locals have (or can get) what you want. May have to wait a bit but at minimum you have a fallback if what get's delivered isn't what you thought you were going to get.
That is true, but a lot of things are literally double the price here so people go online. We even have bike shops, who are restricted in their buying from websites in that the local distributor will often lock them out, who will fit parts bought online for you - their markup on parts is not good so they make a living by doing the mechanical work.

DS
Old 12-30-23, 01:12 AM
Andrew_G 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 71 Posts
Per BF member arider's remarks, I found this website: https://www.shopcyclustools.com/about-us/

I verified that the location is indeed a Walmart. The 'about us' description has identical text to the fake campagnolo retailer website.

I've normally bought from well known on line retailers, all without problems. Now, thanks to BF members, I now know to check the 'about us', location and feedback for ALL on line retailers!

Last edited by Andrew_G; 12-30-23 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-31-23, 10:55 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4518 Post(s)
Liked 4,215 Times in 2,822 Posts
Like I say every time this exact same thread comes up (with some other scam website). If you are already unsure about the website and think it is a scam, don't shop there. If it seems like a scam it probably is. Most manufacturers of quality goods have MAP and regulations on third parties/online sellers and things like that. They don't have budget stores or outlets barns or factory seconds.

There is never a deal to be had with one of these sites because you can just get your credit card info to someone or if you even somehow get the product which I would doubt you are a screwed out of any dealer or warranty support nobody will want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. We had a customer who initially saved $500 on a bike after coming to our shop and getting all the info and test riding it and then had what would normally be a warranty issue if it had been bought from an authorized seller which he decided not to do and had to spend over $1000 to replace a part which would have been covered so the money saved ended up with him spending more and still not having any warranty support. He basically bought a very overpriced used bike that was brand new instead of buying a brand new bike from the shop he spent time researching at. He thought he could scam the system and get a great deal and he ended up getting royally screwed.
Old 01-01-24, 03:18 PM
Lamont Cobb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
There is no need to take a chance with an iffy online site. You can save money if you buy used.