Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Dual Sport gen 5 vs 2024 Trek FX

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 01:55 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

I have a 2021 fx sport carbon, which I enjoy, but the bike is very similar to a road bike feeling, which I enjoy for exercise, and is carbon.
I want a second bike, for recreational and casual rides but still can be utilized for exercise and I can take with, when traveling and riding in the rain/ being able to lock it up outside. I mostly ride on pavement.
The DS gen 5 has 650b wheels and, while 2024 trek FX has similar geometry to trek fx sport which is also similar to DS gen 5, with 700 wheels. DS gen 5 is slightly more upright, and has bigger tires

Which would you get see below? Would their be a huge speed difference ?

DS Gen 5
Dual Sport 3 Gen 5 - Trek Bikes
2024 Trek FX 3

FX 3 - Trek Bikes (INE)
Old 05-06-24, 02:24 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 71 Posts
If you're looking I think I'd avoid QR, especially with disc. I'd go with the bigger wheels. Also for a bike you ride mostly on pavement, you sure a 1x transmission is going to be good for you? For a MTB 1x all day long, but for a bike that you're going to cruise on you might like the closer ratio's a 2x system provides. I have a 2x on my hybrid with a 38/26 crank and 11-34 11s cassette and I find the jumps between gears to be well suited... though I think I'd like an extra couple teeth on the large chainring.
Old 05-06-24, 02:50 PM
Awesomeguy

Originally Posted by Ryan_M
If you're looking I think I'd avoid QR, especially with disc. I'd go with the bigger wheels. Also for a bike you ride mostly on pavement, you sure a 1x transmission is going to be good for you? For a MTB 1x all day long, but for a bike that you're going to cruise on you might like the closer ratio's a 2x system provides. I have a 2x on my hybrid with a 38/26 crank and 11-34 11s cassette and I find the jumps between gears to be well suited... though I think I'd like an extra couple teeth on the large chainring.
You have good points about gear ratio.
my current bike has 1 by 11 and 6 hardest gears jump by two, so it works out perfectly. You are right about DS Atleast the outgoing model since only hardest three jump by 2 tooth, new fx and ds have 4 gears jump by 2 tooth
Old 05-06-24, 02:55 PM
Awesomeguy

You have good points about gear ratio.
my current bike has 1 by 11 and 6 hardest gears jump by two, so it works out perfectly. You are right about DS Atleast the outgoing model since only hardest three jump by 2 tooth, new fx and ds have 4 gears jump by 2 tooth

not sure I follow about the quick release

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 05-06-24 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-06-24, 03:34 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
not sure I follow about the quick release
Through axle is a better system. It's more rigid, more reliable, more future proof, and helps maintain alignment when removing and putting the wheels back in. The later helps with docs because there isn't a lot of room for error without getting a disc rubbing on a pad. Further, the forces that the front disc creates under braking tends to want to make the front wheel want to misallign, it's outright dislodged the front wheels on one of my bikes. This can't happen with through axle. Another slight benefit is it can help maintain indexing.

Sure some of that is nit-picky, but you're buying new so might as well go with the better system.
Old 05-06-24, 03:43 PM
Awesomeguy

Through axle is a better system. It's more rigid, more reliable, more future proof, and helps maintain alignment when removing and putting the wheels back in. The later helps with docs because there isn't a lot of room for error without getting a disc rubbing on a pad. Further, the forces that the front disc creates under braking tends to want to make the front wheel want to misallign, it's outright dislodged the front wheels on one of my bikes. This can't happen with through axle. Another slight benefit is it can help maintain indexing.

Sure some of that is nit-picky, but you're buying new so might as well go with the better system.
which bikes do you think are options with what you described about through axle and the closely spaced gearing ?