Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Riding in the Ojai, Malibu and Pt. Mugu Areas

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 11:03 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts

Many, many moons ago I rode the LA Wheelman Double Century (my stepdad did the triple) and I remember enjoying the riding along the coast and around Ojai.

Since this was around 45 years ago, I’m wondering what the roads and traffic are like now.

Any locals have an update?
Old 05-05-24, 11:44 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
still very enjoyable. in malibu, riding pch west of point mugu, the road has noticeable shoulders and there is less traffic until you get to oxnard proper.

santa monica mountains west of topanga canyon hwy (ca hwy 27) best on weekdays from 9am-2pm. weekends, if you must, be done by 10:30am to avoid
motorcycle team ninja and the various car clubs along with posers/groupies.

ojai/ventura area has a paved and dedicated bike path that parallels ca hwy 33 from ventura to ojai.

climbing ca hwy 33 from ojai to either the first, second or rose summit amongst the best roadie cycling experiences in all of socal. the "triangle ride" around lake casitas
is still a blast but, again, 9am-2pm weekdays and eeaarly on weekends.

that ca hwy 101 bike path northwest of ventura towards/from carpinteria is pretty darned sweet.

toughest ride is from santa monica (annenberg beachouse/chautauqua area) northwest to topanga canyon rd (ca hwy 27). a few miles but an absolute ton of fast traffic and vacillating shoulders.
not as bad heading into santa monica from malibu but hafta be hyper-vigilant with all the surfers, longboards, car doors, unconscious/stoned/drunk peds and sketchy motorists along with gta 24
wannabes.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-10-24 at 02:00 AM. Reason: just have never been able to spell chautauqua correctly
Likes For diphthong:
Old 05-06-24, 08:11 AM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Still, a very nice region to ride! I also used to ride the LA Wheelmen double century highland route back in the day.
In fact, in a couple of weeks we’re bikepacking, doing the triangle loop starting from Ojai. We’re camping in Carpinteria State Beach for the night.
The relatively new bike path from Ventura to Rincon, right along the coastline is very nice.
Likes For roadfix:
Old 05-06-24, 04:46 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by roadfix
Still, a very nice region to ride! I also used to ride the LA Wheelmen double century highland route back in the day.
In fact, in a couple of weeks we’re bikepacking, doing the triangle loop starting from Ojai. We’re camping in Carpinteria State Beach for the night.
The relatively new bike path from Ventura to Rincon, right along the coastline is very nice.
Is the "Triangle Loop" Ojai - Carpinteria - Ventura (Hwys 33, 150 & 101)?
Old 05-06-24, 05:34 PM
roadfix
hello

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
Is the "Triangle Loop" Ojai - Carpinteria - Ventura (Hwys 33, 150 & 101)?
That is correct. But you’ll be on an adjacent bike path all along the 101.
Likes For roadfix: