Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

148 mm x 12 mm thru-axle hub for 145 mm quick release

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 09:59 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I was looking for 650b/27.5 wheels for a quick swipe on my tandem with 145mm rear spacing. Unfortunately, I can't find anything reasonably priced and building my own is too expensive at this point. That makes me think of getting a strong mountain bike wheelset with 148 mm x 12 mm thru-axle hub. Some recent versions are for sale locally. I saw discussions somewhere that these can be used with an adapter, and 1.5mm per side sounds like something that can be dealt with. What thru-axle to quick-release adapter should I use (I see MUQZI Bicycle QR Adapter 12/15 to 9mm Front Wheel Hub Adapter on Amazon - or should I look for a known brand?). My plan is to get an adapter and test if that can fit the frame or can be adapted with a file or similar tool. Then shop for a wheelset. My thoughts are the wheels that can handle mtn biking road hassles should be strong enough for a moderate weight team (330lb) team on gravel roads. Thoughts? Will the disk brakes align? Tips on what to look for in the wheel?
Old 05-07-24, 07:20 AM
mikemelbrooks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I have done this for a 29er rear wheel. I ground of 1.5mm from either side of the hub and turned down a Muqzi adapter to 145mm. It all lines up,But I have yet to try it out in anger.
Old 05-07-24, 11:34 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 4,133 Times in 2,762 Posts
You might ask some folks on the Tandem subforum they might know. Personally I would get a proper wheel built, it will cost money but will lead you to a stronger wheel and longer lasting set up, plus you won't have to worry about disc spacing or anything.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-07-24, 01:36 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemelbrooks
I have done this for a 29er rear wheel. I ground of 1.5mm from either side of the hub and turned down a Muqzi adapter to 145mm. It all lines up,But I have yet to try it out in anger.
Thanks! If you have pics etc - PM me with these. What's the original distance in the Muqzi adapter before it steps down to 9mm? What's the total length? Without access to the machine shop - is it doable? Perhaps getting 142 mm adapter is a better setup?
Old 05-07-24, 01:53 PM
riceowls

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You might ask some folks on the Tandem subforum they might know. Personally I would get a proper wheel built, it will cost money but will lead you to a stronger wheel and longer lasting set up, plus you won't have to worry about disc spacing or anything.
My probelem is that 145mm hubs are very hard to find and I can't find a retailer with 650b/145mm wheelsets. I would end up spending more on the wheels than I paid for the bike.

Last edited by riceowls; 05-07-24 at 02:43 PM. Reason: missprint
Old 05-07-24, 03:19 PM
mikemelbrooks

Originally Posted by riceowls
My probelem is that 145mm hubs are very hard to find and I can't find a retailer with 650b/145mm wheelsets. I would end up spending more on the wheels than I paid for the bike.

The dimension are on AliExpress.
The dimension are on AliExpress. You could put the adaptor in a drill and use a file or sand paper to remove the 1.5mm from each end. I do own a mini lathe. Btw I am using one of these adaptors on the front of the tandem until our new wheel is built. I ground down the axle using a bench grinder on the axle as it is hardened steel, and used my lathe to turn down the lock nuts. If you use a wheel with an aluminium axles. You should be able to file it easily.
Old 05-07-24, 03:33 PM
riceowls

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemelbrooks

The dimension are on AliExpress.
The dimension are on AliExpress. You could put the adaptor in a drill and use a file or sand paper to remove the 1.5mm from each end. I do own a mini lathe. Btw I am using one of these adaptors on the front of the tandem until our new wheel is built. I ground down the axle using a bench grinder on the axle as it is hardened steel, and used my lathe to turn down the lock nuts. If you use a wheel with an aluminium axles. You should be able to file it easily.
I was asking how long the 9mm piece post the measurments. Did you have to grind it down as well?Good idea with the drill - thanks!
Old 05-07-24, 03:41 PM
mikemelbrooks

Thanks! If you have pics etc - PM me with these. What's the original distance in the Muqzi adapter before it steps down to 9mm? What's the total length? Without access to the machine shop - is it doable? Perhaps getting 142 mm adapter is a better setup?
I don't have another adapter to measure. If you measure the thickness of your dropouts minus 1 mm + 145mm you will get total length. I wouldn't try a 142mm adapter because I wanted to be able to swap to the original wheel. And I don't like trying to bend a aluminium frame.
Old 05-07-24, 03:44 PM
mikemelbrooks

AHH you posted while I was still tapping away! It's 11pm here I can measure tomorrow.
Yes I turned down the 9mm section, but this only needs to be done on one end.

Last edited by mikemelbrooks; 05-07-24 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-08-24, 10:35 AM
mikemelbrooks

I was asking how long the 9mm piece post the measurments. Did you have to grind it down as well?Good idea with the drill - thanks!
The 9mm sections are 6mm in length. You could literally cut the adaptor in half and take 3mm out of the middle which would then mean you wouldnt have to touch the ends. BTW I am running a front adaptor while waiting for a new front wheel to be built.