Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Madone with loose BB90

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Madone with loose BB90

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-24, 09:38 AM
apo

Bikes: 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Madone with loose BB90

I have a 2014 trek Madone 5.2 that I've ridden for a number of years and really enjoy, except for a BB issue that arose last year. It's incredibly loose (not squeaky, but loose -- wiggly crank arms). This bike has the awful pressfit BB90 which is known for issues with metal bearings contorting the carbon bb race.
Here's what I've done:
1. Removed crank, bb, cleaned & replaced regular bearings (too loose, removed immediately)
2. Tried installing Trek's oversized bearings ("Trek Integrated BB90 Shimano V2 Oversized Bottom Bracket Bearing") that have a slightly larger diameter (terrible that the manufacturer's product is so faulty they need to sell a workaround). Still too loose after a couple rides, removed.
3. Had my local Trek bikeshop drill out the BB and bore a new hole, install a new carbon/epoxy sleeve as a race. Parts under warranty by Trek, paid for shop time. Seemed tight but after ~100km of riding, bracket is loose again.

I called Trek and asked what's up? They said the epoxy sleeve might have not set correctly or something. I'm upset at this point because it's been a year of problems and I just want to ride I understand it's a 10 year old frame but I really like it and have all my hub/wheel/dura-ace upgrades on the bike.

Is there any other solution? I've heard of aftermarket threaded BBs that might work. Looking for recommendations, thanks!
Old 05-08-24, 10:22 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 759 Posts
After 2 years of chasing creaks, I bought an BB Infinite screw together BB and it's been quiet.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 05-08-24, 10:41 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 & 2019 Cervelo R3’s & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 714 Posts
My go to manufacturer is Hambini.
Be sure to read the note at the bottom of the page regarding measuring.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-08-24, 05:40 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 334 Posts
Haven't tried but have looked into getting a Token Ninja 3724 thread together BB to replace my BB90. Going to do this conversion in a couple of weeks but you may not wish to wait two weeks for me to report back 😁