Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Brake Line Hold Downs

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Brake Line Hold Downs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 01:19 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
Brake Line Hold Downs

I've converted two mountain bikes to hydraulic brakes and the lines don't fit into the frames' original routing brackets.

I really don't want to go to the trouble of finding a welder and welding on new brackets.

Does anyone know of a glue-on bracket or a strap that looks better than a cable tie?
Old 05-05-24, 01:22 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 214 Posts
You could just glue on some braze-on guides. ART 200 from here are the ones I use: Brazeons

They basically are mounting points for cable-ties (although they come with a slightly neater kind of plastic clip which you will lose and replace with a cable tie, but it still doesn't have to go the whole way around the frame).
Old 05-05-24, 01:25 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by guy153
You could just glue on some braze-on guides. ART 200 from here are the ones I use: Brazeons

They basically are mounting points for cable-ties (although they come with a slightly neater kind of plastic clip which you will lose and replace with a cable tie, but it still doesn't have to go the whole way around the frame).
That looks like it would work well. Thanks. What do you use for glue?
Old 05-05-24, 03:45 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
That looks like it would work well. Thanks. What do you use for glue?
I use SIFSILCOPPER 968 TIG brazing rod But I don't see why you couldn't glue them. There's a reasonable amount of surface area and they don't need to be held on that firmly. I would try epoxy or MMA glue. You could probably even glue it directly to the powder coat.
Old 05-05-24, 05:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 479 Posts
There are several options to attach cable guides to a frame with cable stops. If you want to use the existing stops, you can use this type that bolts into the original stop. https://www.amazon.com/Farbetter-Pie.../dp/B082WJR4FJ

If you don't use bottle cages on your MTB, you can use the bottle cage mounts to attach this type of guide from Paragon Machine Works https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/...ps-guides.html

I have also used JB Weld to attach cable guides to an aluminum frame that I built, because I didn't want to risk welding them onto the chainstays. I prepped both sides by roughing them up with sandpaper and cleaning with acetone before gluing them on. They need to be clamped in place for at least 24hrs before use. Mine are still holding after 3 years of use.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-05-24, 05:11 PM
Mark Beaver
semi-retired framebuilder

Bikes: twenty-three at last count

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Jagwire makes some nylon self-adhesive ziptie cable stops which function like the brazed-on ones but mount with a peel-and-stick 3m adhesive. Quick and simple.
Likes For Mark Beaver:
Old 05-05-24, 11:27 PM
PromptCritical 

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 05-09-24, 03:01 AM
duanedr 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 89 Posts
Ceeway in the UK has these clips which use a standard water bottle boss. I have used them on a couple frames and they are pretty nice.

There are single and double versions. They are about half way down on this page: What (framebuilding.com)
Old 05-09-24, 10:33 AM
PromptCritical 

Those look nice - thanks!