Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain Cleaning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drivetrain Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 03:49 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by howaboutme
By the way, what do you all do w/ the dirty towels used to clean the chain? Do you throw it away or wash it?
Myself, I use the blue "Shop Towels" product. Almost tough enough to survive scrubbing across ugly surfaces. Certainly enough for chains and tubing, small parts cleaning. And inexpensive enough that discarding after use is easily done, which helps keep the washing machine clean.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Cleaning...5yc1vZcb3bZ44h
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 05-07-24, 11:26 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 915 Times in 516 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
I recently started waxing chains. Haven’t been at it long enough to decide if I like it.
But the one ride black chain has gone.
Its also a lot easier and quicker than I expected.

Barry

Oh, and WD-40 (reg) is not a lube.
WD-40 (brand) does make a silicon lube.
I did a mud ride in the rain on my last ride. I wax with paraffin and ptfe. I ran through the gears the other day on the stand. No squeaks, no grittiness, and running smoothly.

Hard to beat that.
Old 05-07-24, 12:22 PM
Harold74

Bikes: Miyata 1000, Lemond Zurich, Lynskey Rouleur, Airborne Zeppelin, Vintage Zullo, Miele Lupa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 76 Posts
I'm still trying to find the right balance of cleanliness and effort for me but I'm getting close with this:

1) Use silica chain stripper one time to clear out the packing grease, ideally when the chain is new. Basically just a soak and rinse.

2) Before washing my bike and lubricating my chain I apply White Lightning Clean Streak dry degreaser to the chain. This degreaser doesn't need to be rinsed off prior to the application of lube which I like.

3) Wash my bike, neither intentionally wetting the chain nor losing any sleep over it if it does get a bit wet.

4) Wipe the chain off and apply dry lube which makes sense for the clean, dry conditions that I generally ride in.

Compared to waxing, I've no doubt that my procedure is probably weaker with respect to cleanliness, performance, and corrosion. That said, it's pretty easy and yields chains that I find to be clean enough, quiet, and sufficiently long lasting. I still have to wear an apron to keep from getting grease stains on my pants when I do the work though. Luckily, my kids bought me a shop apron that makes me look like a medieval Viking blacksmith which I enjoy.
Likes For Harold74:
Old 05-07-24, 02:40 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 1,684 Times in 1,082 Posts
Hey... Just posted my methods in a Waxed Chain Thread. I would suggest going simple. WD40 is a great cleaner but not necessarily a lube. ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is my choice. Chain getting dark? Hit ti with ATF and wipe clean. But then again you did not describe what kind of ridding you are doing...

https://www.bikeforums.net/23233209-post6.html
Old 05-07-24, 04:03 PM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks all for your replies, very helpful to hear what you all are doing.

I'm riding on residential streets, mostly with a portion on a major thorough. It's mostly moderate to well paved asphalt. But I do live in a dense part of the country (just outside of DC) despite the residential streets.
Old 05-07-24, 04:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6270 Post(s)
Liked 4,298 Times in 2,407 Posts
WD-40 is a lubricant. It contains 25% of the same (or similar) oil that is found in all oil based bicycle lubricants. That oil is in about the same ratio of oil to solvent as well. It’s not going to melt your chain if you use it as a chain lube but, because it is a spray, it is easy to get it everywhere. Bicyclists generally don’t use spray lubricants for that singular reason.

Simple Green may have had a corrosion problem when it was first introduced but it’s current formulation has a lower pH (less basic) that isn’t a problem. Simple Green also isn’t all that effective as a degreaser. I’ve been using Armor All Wheel and Tire Cleaner lately but have more recently discovered Dawn Powerwash spray which works even better. I even used it on clothing to completely remove chain grease from some clothes. It is wonderful stuff.

Oil, being liquid, flows. Put it on and no matter how much you wipe it, it will flow to the outside of the chain until there is no oil left. It will also make a black gunky mess anytime you use it because of metal fragments that get entrained in the oil along with the grit that causes the metal fragments.

You don’t really need to lubricate the pivot pins on the derailers all that often. Excess lubrication is bad because it collects grit which can act to wear the pins. Go very fugally lubricating the derailers. They don’t really need it very often even if you are riding off-road in dirt and dust.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-07-24, 04:33 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,349 Times in 3,943 Posts
I really like Muc-Off Drivetrain Cleaner for deep-cleaning of drivetrain parts, including factory-oiled chains and derailleurs gunked-up by oil-based lubes. Since switching to Silca Super Secret drip wax for the chains on all my bikes, the only time I need to hit the Muc-Off stuff is stripping a new chain in prep for wax.

My MTB and gravel bikes get a quick clean-up after every ride. My road bike I clean as needed, depending on what kind of conditions I've been riding in. My clean-up process...

Hose off entire bike (spray nozzle on "shower" setting). Wipe off all residual water with a clean-ish towel. Brush out any residual dirt from derailleurs or other parts, if needed (I have a couple of different brushes). Wipe off chain and jockey wheels. Lube chain. Put bike away. If I take a couple of breaks to throw a ball for my dog, it takes me about 10 minutes. I'm very happy that I no longer have to deal with the messiness of oil-based chain lube. I rarely find a need for soap or other cleaners on my frame.
Old 05-07-24, 11:43 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 422 Posts
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll get my routine down soon enough.

By the way, what do you all do w/ the dirty towels used to clean the chain? Do you throw it away or wash it?
If the lube or solvent is anything petroleum based, it can't go in compost or recycling, so garbage, this is for paper towels that I use. If a lot of solvent on them, I will spread them out on concrete in the sun with a rock or wrench on them and let them dry before putting in garbage. If cloth towels or rags, same thing for me, as the oil would just dirty my washer inner drum and/or clothes, this is not industrial cleaning. If I had access to "shop rags" like when I used the metal shop at my old employer, those go into the fire-safe (tight-lidded) shop-rag-can, where they are periodically sent out to get washed at the supplier for those, and returned clean.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 05-07-24 at 11:47 PM.
Likes For Duragrouch:
Old 05-08-24, 12:03 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by cyccommute
WD-40 is a lubricant. It contains 25% of the same (or similar) oil that is found in all oil based bicycle lubricants. That oil is in about the same ratio of oil to solvent as well. It’s not going to melt your chain if you use it as a chain lube but, because it is a spray, it is easy to get it everywhere. Bicyclists generally don’t use spray lubricants for that singular reason.
I think WD-40 (original) may be formulated a bit different now. Back in the day, it was *prohibited* for use on aircraft linkage spherical rods ends (Heim joints) as over time it would dry to a varnish and the joints would stick or jam. WD-40 was originally developed as a Water Displacer, and perhaps the original formula had an intentional varnish to stay behind to help keep out water and/or corrosion resistance. Currently, it doesn't seem too bad as a chain lube if you have nothing else, it doesn't seem to get sticky over time. That said, chain lubes with "anti-wear additives" have been shown to reduce chain wear. You know what has that? Plain old motor oil (which I used to deride as too pedestrian for a serious biker). Recent tests have shown melted wax to be superior; I used wax for 15 years on my road bike because it was cleaner, went to oils thinking it was better lube, but I was wrong. I'm going back to wax with my next new chain and cassette.
Old 05-08-24, 06:41 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I think WD-40 (original) may be formulated a bit different now. Back in the day, it was *prohibited* for use on aircraft linkage spherical rods ends (Heim joints) as over time it would dry to a varnish and the joints would stick or jam. WD-40 was originally developed as a Water Displacer, and perhaps the original formula had an intentional varnish to stay behind to help keep out water and/or corrosion resistance. Currently, it doesn't seem too bad as a chain lube if you have nothing else, it doesn't seem to get sticky over time. That said, chain lubes with "anti-wear additives" have been shown to reduce chain wear. You know what has that? Plain old motor oil (which I used to deride as too pedestrian for a serious biker). Recent tests have shown melted wax to be superior; I used wax for 15 years on my road bike because it was cleaner, went to oils thinking it was better lube, but I was wrong. I'm going back to wax with my next new chain and cassette.
According to this history from WD-40, the mixture is the same as it was when first introduced. I suspect that some components are more highly refined than they were in 1953 so that reactive double and triple bonded hydrocarbons have been removed as well as the solvent contains less benzene. As to “anti-wear additives” in chain lubes, they don’t do a whole lot. Additives to wax or liquid lubricants don’t really seem to increase chain life. Plan old Gulf canning wax provides just about the same chain life as oil does. There’s not much that can be done to a bicycle chain to extend life much past about 3500 miles on average. If “anti-wear additives” actually worked, I’d expect a significant increase in chain life…on the order of at least 25%…but that just doesn’t happen.

Motor oil additives are to prevent break down under the high temperature conditions that motor oil is subjected to. At low temperatures, the oil really doesn’t do much in the way of preventing wear.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-08-24, 06:54 AM
howaboutme

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 22 Posts
OP here. Just to be clear, I'm not using WD40 as the chain lube. I was using it at movement points in the derailleurs and targeting the spray. I'm using Wolf Tooth chain lube. Right now, based on what people are saying. I think I'm not cleaning up the excess lube enough and the remnants are catching all of the grime and getting it all over the rest of the drive train.
Old 05-08-24, 07:25 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 379 Posts
OP here. Just to be clear, I'm not using WD40 as the chain lube. I was using it at movement points in the derailleurs and targeting the spray. I'm using Wolf Tooth chain lube. Right now, based on what people are saying. I think I'm not cleaning up the excess lube enough and the remnants are catching all of the grime and getting it all over the rest of the drive train.
As a NYC rider I would say that's the correct diagnosis. Everything turns black here, and oil attracts all kinds of dirt. I only skimmed the thread but did see someone mention Squirt wax lube, which is what I use now. It stays a lot cleaner but you need to apply it regularly. I can handle the chain without having black stains on my hands for a week after. And it makes it very quiet.
Likes For zacster:
Old 05-08-24, 02:06 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
I would avoid WD-40 and degreasers altogether. In my opinion they aren't needed unless you have an extreme case. WD-40 actually is a pretty good degreaser for "grease". It can displace other oils and lubricants also, and, as previously stated, it is not a lubricant, it is a water displacement chemical.

I run a couple of my bikes with wax and two more with Silca oil. The waxed bikes don't need much attention and I only use towels to clean the oiled bikes. I'll use a heavy cotton string, from a big ball of string, to "floss" the cassette. Everything else gets the towel cleaning.

The only time I use degreaser is the citrus type and that is only to strip a new chain for a wax job. I don't use it on my old bikes either, even over-hauling. I just don't want any degreaser residue anywhere. Is that overkill? Yeah, probably but that method has worked for me for years.
Old 05-08-24, 04:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2053 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,072 Posts
... have more recently discovered Dawn Powerwash spray which works even better. I even used it on clothing to completely remove chain grease from some clothes. It is wonderful stuff.
I use Dawn Powerwash Platinum spray to wash pots and pans, but have never used it on clothes or bike components. No damaged to the chain even if not rinsed off soon afterward? On dishes it just reacts with the grease to become oily water.
Old 05-09-24, 12:18 AM
Duragrouch

According to this history from WD-40, the mixture is the same as it was when first introduced. I suspect that some components are more highly refined than they were in 1953 so that reactive double and triple bonded hydrocarbons have been removed as well as the solvent contains less benzene. As to “anti-wear additives” in chain lubes, they don’t do a whole lot. Additives to wax or liquid lubricants don’t really seem to increase chain life. Plan old Gulf canning wax provides just about the same chain life as oil does. There’s not much that can be done to a bicycle chain to extend life much past about 3500 miles on average. If “anti-wear additives” actually worked, I’d expect a significant increase in chain life…on the order of at least 25%…but that just doesn’t happen.

Motor oil additives are to prevent break down under the high temperature conditions that motor oil is subjected to. At low temperatures, the oil really doesn’t do much in the way of preventing wear.
I am not an expert on motor oil, but my understanding is, some additives are to reduce viscosity breakdown at elevated temperatures and duration, and (among others) there are anti-wear additives, what my father used to call "high pressure additives". The bike chain laboratory lube tests (of bike specific lubes) I read some years back, showed an increase in chain life with those lubes that had what they called anti-wear additives. Which is why I stopped using 3-In-1 oil.

For a time, I used ATF, but upon reading those tests, decided to go past motor oil and use synthetic 75W-90 gear lube which I happened to have a bottle of; It flows like motor oil, and stays very liquid even when cold. It thickens with metal particle buildup just like any wet lube.

Wax has been proven superior. Like I said, I went away from it for quite a while, thinking oil was better, after all, wax is dry. But tests show it is better. On the outside of the chain, it just flakes off, leaving no deposits. So if it's actually superior, I can only imagine it is because the hard wax inside the inner plates and rollers, stays in there and actually keeps the metal parts apart, and seems to be durable. Back when I used wax, I think I needed to lube the chain maybe once a month after it started to squeak? Most days I rode 35 miles.
Old 05-09-24, 02:57 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by drlogik
I would avoid WD-40 and degreasers altogether. In my opinion they aren't needed unless you have an extreme case. WD-40 actually is a pretty good degreaser for "grease". It can displace other oils and lubricants also, and, as previously stated, it is not a lubricant, it is a water displacement chemical.

I run a couple of my bikes with wax and two more with Silca oil. The waxed bikes don't need much attention and I only use towels to clean the oiled bikes. I'll use a heavy cotton string, from a big ball of string, to "floss" the cassette. Everything else gets the towel cleaning.

The only time I use degreaser is the citrus type and that is only to strip a new chain for a wax job. I don't use it on my old bikes either, even over-hauling. I just don't want any degreaser residue anywhere. Is that overkill? Yeah, probably but that method has worked for me for years.
I wouldn't call WD-40 a "degreaser". It is a lubricant with 25% of the liquid involved being oil. The term "degreaser" is kind of a misnomer. It should probably be called a "deoiler" because that is what is being removed but that is never going to catch on. The point of a solvent is to remove the old oil and the grit it carries efficiently. The old oil isn't the problem , however. The grit is.

A good degreaser shouldn't leave any kind of residue when used. An organic solvent like mineral spirits will evaporate cleanly once all the oil is removed. A water based degreaser like Simple Green, the Dawn Power Wash, or the tire cleaner I suggested earlier needs to be rinsed off with water to remove completely. That, however, does introduce water into the equation which really should be removed fairly quickly to prevent oxidation of the chain. If you live in the arid west, that can be done with sunlight and a bit of exposure. Water will evaporate fairly quickly from the 102° meridian west to the Pacific (the extreme eastern Cascades excluded) here in the US. East of that and the humidity is just too high for evaporation of water to be effective which means it needs help. Acetone or denatured alcohol does a nice job.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-09-24, 03:00 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I use Dawn Powerwash Platinum spray to wash pots and pans, but have never used it on clothes or bike components. No damaged to the chain even if not rinsed off soon afterward? On dishes it just reacts with the grease to become oily water.
It shouldn't be a problem on bike components as long as you rinse it and chase the water off as suggested above. For clothes, I found that all I had to do was to scrub the spot a little with a brush and then wash. I even let it dry out first (in Tucson so I knew it was "dry") and it still worked like a treat.

Old 05-09-24, 03:00 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,251 Times in 627 Posts
Here:
WD-40 SPECIALIST® DEGREASER & CLEANER EZ-PODS | WD-40 (wd40.com)

Old 05-10-24, 09:11 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone, 2023 Surly Disk Trucker

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 260 Posts
I wouldn't call WD-40 a "degreaser". It is a lubricant with 25% of the liquid involved being oil. The term "degreaser" is kind of a misnomer. It should probably be called a "deoiler" because that is what is being removed but that is never going to catch on. The point of a solvent is to remove the old oil and the grit it carries efficiently. The old oil isn't the problem , however. The grit is.
I didn't call it a degreaser. I stated, " WD-40 actually is a pretty good degreaser for "grease". Which is true. It is not a degreaser but acts as one very effectively in many applications. About the only time I do use it is on my salt water fishing rods and reels to "disperse" the salt water and then follow-up with a water bath, thorough drying and re-lubrication.

In my own casual research I have found that even a little bit of residual WD-40 in the nooks and crannies of a newly re-greased bearing will begin to "dissolve" and flush-out the new grease. It's sometimes a real PITA to get all of the WD-40 off of a part, which is why I seldom use it.

Don't get me wrong, WD-40 is great stuff for getting rid of water where water shouldn't be. It just isn't very effective as a lubricant.

As the OP wanted to clean the bike, my thoughts on that are it's not a good idea to "clean" it with WD-40 as it may cause more problems than it solves.
Old 05-10-24, 11:23 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
In the bike shops I worked at, we let the chain soak in solvent or Simple Green (I worked at three different shops, one just out of high school, one at my university campus, and a different shop during summer break) while working on other parts of the bike. Before remounting and relub, we used the air compressor to "dry" the chain. That normally keeps the chain pretty for a week or so. On my bike, I spray Simple Green and let it soak while cleaning other parts of the bike. I flush it with plenty of water, dry it off with a rag, and repeat if the rag is not clear. That normally keeps the chain pretty for 2-3 rides. I switched to wax a few years back, and now it stays pretty. FWIW, I really don't care about the look, but I switched to wax to keep the carpet clean. I was rear-ended and almost run over by a minivan and, since then, have been losing the argument with DW on riding outdoors. Now, I'm truly a weekend warrior and group rides only.
Likes For kcjc:
Old 05-14-24, 07:00 PM
80sKidd

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Decades ago when I worked in a bike shop, we soaked chains and bearings in varsol to clean them up. I still remember the smell, which wasn't too bad as solvents go. Nothing is ever as thorough as removing the chain and agitating it in a good solvent and drying it well. The key step that is mentioned several times here is to make sure that after you lubricate the chain, wipe it down thoroughly when using a liquid (oil) lubricant.
Likes For 80sKidd:
Old 05-15-24, 12:24 AM
Duragrouch

Originally Posted by 80sKidd
Decades ago when I worked in a bike shop, we soaked chains and bearings in varsol to clean them up. I still remember the smell, which wasn't too bad as solvents go. Nothing is ever as thorough as removing the chain and agitating it in a good solvent and drying it well. The key step that is mentioned several times here is to make sure that after you lubricate the chain, wipe it down thoroughly when using a liquid (oil) lubricant.
After cleaning my chain with an on-bike cleaner and then wiping dry, I apply chain lube (75W-90 gear oil) via a covid-test dropper bottle, one drop at each roller. That doesn't leave much excess after wicking into the roller and inner plates and pin.

But yeah, gonna go back to wax.