Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Best new friction DT shifters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 08:16 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 281 Posts

Looking for opinions as to which is better, the Silver shifters at Rivendell, or the Velo Orange Dia Compe ENE. I'm leaning toward the Velo Orange shifters because they seem more versatile pulling more cable.

This is for a 1986 Trek 560 that I modified to a 9-speed rear cassette. I like the idea of indexed downtube shifters and have a set of 10 speed indexed Dura Ace on a Lemond. Prices on them used seem astronomical. The original shifters work but plastic face is broken on both.

Microshift has these
https://www.amazon.com/microShift-SL...s%2C208&sr=8-3
But I do hate the look of the black plastic ends. I like indexed shifting though. Anyone had experience with them? Are these reversable to friction?

Last edited by RH Clark; 05-09-24 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-09-24, 08:41 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 483 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked 6,801 Times in 2,640 Posts
I have the Microshift 8-speed indexing DT shifters on one bike and rode that one on a 7-day tour in March. I like their action a lot but there’s no friction option if indexing gets wonky (e.g., your derailleur hanger gets bent).
Old 05-09-24, 11:21 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked 2,060 Times in 1,130 Posts
My understanding is that the Silver Shifter guts are the same as the Ene.
Old 05-09-24, 10:56 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
The Ene, Silver, etc are all products made by Dia Compe based on the Suntour Sprint ratchet shifter. There are two of normal diameter and one oversized. Because the shifters have a little backlash in their ratchets (overshoot then creep back), you want them to move a fair number of degrees per shift to make them more accurate. In other words, the ideal shifter for 9 speed would be one where the full cassette range is well past 90 degrees shifter angle from high gear to low. That effectively makes the ratchets finer. The fat Ene shifter won't do that with most derailleurs, making shifting finicky.

For index with friction, just buy this Microshift bar end shifter and attach the shifter directly to the downtube braze-ons. The bar end mount just simulates braze-ons so no parts are needed (same with Shimano bar ends). Unlike the downtube version, this one has friction for the rear as well as index:
https://www.microshift.com/models/bs-t09/

For common shifters, old 6 or 7 speed Shimano index shifters have a pretty nice friction mode and are pretty cheap. Nicer than a straight friction shifter.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-09-24, 11:45 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 78 Posts
I used a set of Paul thumbies and an old Campy shift lever I had. No indexing, but it works great and the length of the Campy lever is really helpful.

The Paul thumbies come in different diameters, but not sure how big.

Old 05-10-24, 05:45 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked 3,488 Times in 1,224 Posts
If you really want indexed 9 speed Shimano, one option is to pick up a pair of BS-77 bar ends, which have both an index and friction option. As mentioned above, like the Microshift, they fit directly onto the downtube shift mounts and are out there on eBay for $60 and up.
If you ever come across a set of 6208 downtube levers (the ones that die because the tangs fall off on the indexing pod) the indexing pod from the bar ends will slide right in.
Old 05-10-24, 07:22 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 4554 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,113 Posts
A budget choice in new 9 speed index shifters are these things by Sunrace.

https://us-swinnertoncycles.glopalst...RoCl44QAvD_BwE
Likes For Kontact:
Old 05-11-24, 01:04 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 132 Posts
I bought a couple sets of the ENE shifters, the Campy lever looking ones, but haven't used them yet. As Kontact pointed out, The Silver and these have the same innards. I've heard mixed things about the efficacy in holding a gear, but hey, some people have a hard time screwing in a light bulb, so consider the source. The only thing that wished Sprints has was some serrations for grip.

Don't forget that "new" DT shifters can be NOS shifters. There always seems to be various brands popping up on ebay. A stash found here and there and everywhere. I have a new in the box, never used set of Sprints that I plan on using for an upcoming build. The Sprints never did hold as well as the larger ratcheted thoubshifters from Suntour. But hey, they are still good enough by DT standards. Any shifter that does it's job is all that matters.
Old 05-11-24, 01:39 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked 3,488 Times in 1,224 Posts
Fave friction DT shifters of all time? Shimano 600 6207’s. Simple, light, nice feel, smooth action. Hold a set well and will shift across an entire modern sizes freehub.
Have them on at least three bikes right now.
Easily found on eBay for under $25 if patient.