Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

aging knees

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 07:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,609 Times in 2,357 Posts
aging knees

following my parents genetic footsteps I guess. but I believe I've used mine waaaay more than they ever did. pretty frustrating because I use my knees for just about all my aerobic exercise, plus on the leg press (seated squat) machine, which I am taking a temporary break from

also my right knee feels generally tight & sore. dunno if that IT band is acting up. I should take a foam roller to it I guess. that knee also has a pronounced "click" every time I stand. only way to avoid the click is to use my left leg more. I've actually started using the handicap bar in the work restroom & the lavatory sink counters at home, to help lift my weight. should probably lose some darn weight too!

hoping laying off for a month or two will help. also started taking glucosamine chondroitin again

might have to join a pool & take up swimming again. that was always amazing
Old 05-09-24, 08:04 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 506 Times in 279 Posts
Get off sugar and highly processed foods which can cause inflammation. You could also have issues with dairy or gluten. Nightshade veggies cause me inflammation in my hands particularly. Other than a low inflammation diet. The Knees over Toes guy on YouTube is actually suggested by many doctors. He has lots of exercises to help strengthen the muscles we don't normally use that help with stability.

Diet is the big issue. Whole food low carb will get the weight off and decrease inflammation. That's about all I know to do except go to the doctor. I was on injections and pain pills for my knees for 10 years. Those things I suggested helped me enough that I don't need either now.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 05-09-24, 10:53 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 1,968 Times in 1,404 Posts
Chondroitin doesn't do anything. Use glucosamine sulfate. Add MSM. Stretch - these stretches - and plank and do pushups every morning. BTW, you can't stretch an IT band. It's designed not to stretch for very good reasons.
Also do full depth (ATG) squats. If you're not doing them now, start with no weight, work on resting your hams on your calves. Then add weight. Form is important. Here's the Knee over Toes guy:

The click could be a swollen tendon sheath. Take ibuprofen, like 600 X 3/day for two or three days. See if the click goes away.
Old 05-09-24, 11:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by RH Clark
Get off sugar and highly processed foods which can cause inflammation. You could also have issues with dairy or gluten. Nightshade veggies cause me inflammation in my hands particularly. Other than a low inflammation diet. The Knees over Toes guy on YouTube is actually suggested by many doctors. He has lots of exercises to help strengthen the muscles we don't normally use that help with stability.

Diet is the big issue. Whole food low carb will get the weight off and decrease inflammation. That's about all I know to do except go to the doctor. I was on injections and pain pills for my knees for 10 years. Those things I suggested helped me enough that I don't need either now.
oh interesting. I don't have many potatoes or eggplant, but do occasionally. I do regularly eat tomatoes & peppers however. haven't had a cigarette in over a decade, maybe 2!

knees over toes guy? hmmm ... ok I'll check it out, thank you
Old 05-09-24, 11:16 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Chondroitin doesn't do anything. Use glucosamine sulfate. Add MSM. Stretch - these stretches - and plank and do pushups every morning. BTW, you can't stretch an IT band. It's designed not to stretch for very good reasons.
Also do full depth (ATG) squats. If you're not doing them now, start with no weight, work on resting your hams on your calves. Then add weight. Form is important. Here's the Knee over Toes guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E10hHrHV4MQ

The click could be a swollen tendon sheath. Take ibuprofen, like 600 X 3/day for two or three days. See if the click goes away.
thank you, what is MSM?
Old 05-09-24, 11:25 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 4,544 Times in 3,376 Posts
I find that cycling makes my knees better.

I presume there are different issues that different people have with their knees. But cycling makes mine better.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-09-24, 11:38 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by CliffordK
I find that cycling makes my knees better.

I presume there are different issues that different people have with their knees. But cycling makes mine better.
Mine too but it's movement at high speed without much power that help mine the most. I can work up to power but it's the movement at speed and low stress gets my knees in shape to have power. If I mess up the balance I pay in pain and less ability.
Old 05-09-24, 01:36 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
thank you, what is MSM?
Methylsulfonylmethane
My understanding is that it's the form of sulfur which is helpful. Glucosamine hydrochloride has been show to do nothing, whereas glucosamine sulfate seems to work Thus it could be that it's only the sulfur in glucosamine sulfate that's the active ingredient. The studies which have been done are so compromised by researcher bias that it's not possible to see a solid result. That said, my wife and I have been taking those two supplements for 40 years and we both have knees which are in perfect shape, undamaged meniscus. which is a little unusual considering the backpacking, climbing, riding, and strength work we've been doing for that 40+ years. OTOH, maybe it's just the exercise that's the active ingredient. Thing is, it takes decades figure out what works to save knees and what doesn't. So yeah, we take the supplements even if it's just witchcraft. But strength train, too! There's a theory that heavy squats push the knee fluid through or into the meniscus, which feeds it and keeps it healthy. There's no blood flow to move nutrients there.
Old 05-09-24, 01:44 PM
rumrunn6

There's a theory that heavy squats push the knee fluid through or into the meniscus, which feeds it and keeps it healthy. There's no blood flow to move nutrients there.
yeah I learned that when I had knee surgery in 1997 for a meniscus tear. I'm pretty shy about heavy squats but I do like the seated leg press machine. been tending to cats my whole life, w/ deep squats, but not sure I have the knees for cats anymore
Old 05-09-24, 03:12 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 1,237 Posts
Even though I've been riding, this winter has been hard on my knees. I've found that climbing stairs is painful when I get to work, better after my shower, and usually not a problem thereafter for the remainder of the day. It gets worse if I WFH for a few days.

So my "treatment plan" is ... climbing stairs. Step-ups on the porch steps at home, or climbing staircases at work, seems to keep my knees happy. FWIW, I feel like less of a dork climbing actual stairs than the step-up-show at home. Dog-walkers look at me funny going up and down one step; nobody seems to care if I climb slowly at work.

As always, YMMV.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-09-24, 04:57 PM
CliffordK

yeah I learned that when I had knee surgery in 1997 for a meniscus tear. I'm pretty shy about heavy squats but I do like the seated leg press machine. been tending to cats my whole life, w/ deep squats, but not sure I have the knees for cats anymore
My cats are very 3 dimensional. If a cat wants to get petted, I'll have a cat in my lap.

One cat taught herself to jump on stuff outside to get petted. The deck railing is a favorite spot for the cats, and they can walk along side as I walk.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-09-24, 05:04 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Even though I've been riding, this winter has been hard on my knees. I've found that climbing stairs is painful when I get to work, better after my shower, and usually not a problem thereafter for the remainder of the day. It gets worse if I WFH for a few days.

So my "treatment plan" is ... climbing stairs. Step-ups on the porch steps at home, or climbing staircases at work, seems to keep my knees happy. FWIW, I feel like less of a dork climbing actual stairs than the step-up-show at home. Dog-walkers look at me funny going up and down one step; nobody seems to care if I climb slowly at work.

As always, YMMV.
You might find the knees over toes guy interesting. I think he would have you climbing those stairs backwards.
Old 05-10-24, 04:36 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by CliffordK
My cats are very 3 dimensional. If a cat wants to get petted, I'll have a cat in my lap.

One cat taught herself to jump on stuff outside to get petted. The deck railing is a favorite spot for the cats, and they can walk along side as I walk.
oh haha cute, I meant squatting to feed them & tend the litter boxes

side note - just saw a news video clip of a chiropractor giving an "adjustment" to a giraffe & the giraffe showing affection toward the chiropractor. he was elevated on some kind of platform
Old 05-10-24, 04:42 AM
rumrunn6

Glucosamine hydrochloride has been show to do nothing, whereas glucosamine sulfate seems to work Thus it could be that it's only the sulfur in glucosamine sulfate that's the active ingredient
well that's the type I recently bought. I'll have to look for the other. do you notice any odor w/ it? my body tends to leach nutrients thru my skin. for example, if I eat tuna & sweat, my sweat smells like tuna
Old 05-10-24, 05:34 AM
CliffordK

oh haha cute, I meant squatting to feed them & tend the litter boxes

side note - just saw a news video clip of a chiropractor giving an "adjustment" to a giraffe & the giraffe showing affection toward the chiropractor. he was elevated on some kind of platform
Yeah, it has been several months, I need to clean the litter boxes.

My cats have learned to do most of their business outside.

A food dish doesn't have to be on the floor, although cats do have a tendency to make all sorts of things fly.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-10-24, 05:59 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 886 Times in 462 Posts
I had a bad bike accident in June 2023, and after my six-week recovery found I could not run anymore due to pain in the right knee. I'm finally getting around to seeing an orthopedic doctor in two weeks. My PCP thinks it may be multi symptoms, an injury and some arthritis. Oddly, cycling doesn't hurt at all. I hope I can get it fixed, because I've gained a significant mid-section since quitting running. Also, at my age (60), high impact sports are good for maintaining bone density.

I hope the OP has success in knee therapy and shares it here.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 05-10-24, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked 1,976 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
You might find the knees over toes guy interesting. I think he would have you climbing those stairs backwards.
Do you find a lot of things look like a nail?
Old 05-10-24, 09:26 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3828 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 806 Posts
I also recommend physical activity to repair the knees and the Knees over toes guy is the best IMHO. This is just one of his video, but it shows that you can have young knees well into later years of life, but not if you just do one activity.

Old 05-10-24, 01:22 PM
Sal Bandini

Bikes: 2017 Sirrus Sport

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
As others have mentioned, kneesovertoesguy, in particular sled pulls. I was having trouble squatting and bending down, and in the morning I had to go down the stairs backwards until my knees warmed up. I did sled pulls for one day and the next day I was able to walk down the stairs normally in the morning. I was also able to deep squat without massive warmups. I continued to do them 3x/week and saw drastic improvement. I haven't done them since I started another routine that isn't liked here, so I won't mention it.

Here's a sled I am considering for my back yard.

https://markbellslingshot.com/collec...s/stealth-sled
Likes For Sal Bandini:
Old 05-10-24, 07:22 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

well that's the type I recently bought. I'll have to look for the other. do you notice any odor w/ it? my body tends to leach nutrients thru my skin. for example, if I eat tuna & sweat, my sweat smells like tuna
No, no BO here or from my wife. It's our experience that one has less BO if one does not use deodorant, possibly because what's absorbed by one's skin comes back out in a different form, sorta like what you suggest. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 05-10-24, 07:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Do you find a lot of things look like a nail?
You might find that he's right about that - one thing.
Old 05-12-24, 05:29 PM
rumrunn6

No, no BO here or from my wife. It's our experience that one has less BO if one does not use deodorant, possibly because what's absorbed by one's skin comes back out in a different form, sorta like what you suggest. I hadn't thought of that.
thank you
wasn't talking about regular BO from decaying bacteria on the skin. I meant actual food nutrients were leaching out thru the semi permeable skin organ then sublimating vaporizing into a gas to the ambient surroundings. just how my body works I think. so, if I take a sulfur based nutrient, then I might smell like rotten eggs. is what I'm wondering
Old 05-12-24, 05:55 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked 1,670 Times in 1,072 Posts
Keeping your knees in proper alignment is also very important. Those side ways bends that give ya a little pop are real bad a few years down the road. When it comes to knees there are situations where that by the time you feel it, its to late. Wrestlers know this. There are many holds and bars that are absolutely known to disable years down the line.

Keep this in mind during your current activities.

Think... Am I going to regret this latter?
Old 05-12-24, 09:26 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

thank you
wasn't talking about regular BO from decaying bacteria on the skin. I meant actual food nutrients were leaching out thru the semi permeable skin organ then sublimating vaporizing into a gas to the ambient surroundings. just how my body works I think. so, if I take a sulfur based nutrient, then I might smell like rotten eggs. is what I'm wondering
Only way to find out is to try it.