Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage unique downtube shifters

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-24, 12:22 PM
ihm96

Bikes: 1983 Ross Aristocrat, 2023 Specialized Sirrus X 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Was doing some online window shopping for vintage road bikes and I came across this De Rosa bicycle with these beautiful ornate downtube shifters.

Does anyone here have any favorite or unique designs they love? Would love to see what else is out there , its definitely quite an accessory piece. Would love to find some cool shifters to swap out my boring Shimano 600 ones
Old 05-10-24, 12:43 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 163 Posts
Already a thread on this topic…search for “your favorite downtube shifters.”
Old 05-10-24, 12:51 PM
ihm96

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Already a thread on this topic…search for “your favorite downtube shifters.”
Thank you! I had looked for a thread already on this and had only found one on components. Will do a search for that thread
Old 05-10-24, 06:13 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 940 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...some-pics.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-see-them.html
Likes For P!N20:
Old 05-11-24, 08:11 AM
ihm96

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
How 'bout some pics? Maybe you could paint three lines and a little red heart on yours.

Mine look just like these ones. I've discovered that the term Pantograph is what describes the style of shifters that are colorful and engraved.

I just found some really neat ones on ebay - eddy merckx shifters sante pogliaghi

I would love to buy the Eddy merckx ones but I'm honestly not sure if thats something that is easy to swap on or not. Not sure if it requires other parts or if its something where I can just swap out my current shift levers and leave everything else the same? Might need to go to a bike shop and ask I guess or if anyone here knows ?
Likes For ihm96:
Old 05-11-24, 08:54 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Quoted: 2173 Post(s)
Liked 3,521 Times in 1,234 Posts
The Panto’d Merckx ones will fit on standard downtube shifter braze-ons (the square ones) using 5mm D ring bolts.
The e-Bay ones are levers only; you will need a set of internal Campagnolo bits to complete the shifting mechanism as well as a pair of mounting plates.
If your levers are clamp or aero base mounted, you’ll likely need one of those as well since earlier Shimano ones tended toward their then-proprietary mount. Suggest you disassemble ro determine whether your clamp will work.
Old 05-11-24, 09:05 AM
ihm96

Originally Posted by rccardr
The Panto’d Merckx ones will fit on standard downtube shifter braze-ons (the square ones) using 5mm D ring bolts.
The e-Bay ones are levers only; you will need a set of internal Campagnolo bits to complete the shifting mechanism as well as a pair of mounting plates.
If your levers are clamp or aero base mounted, you’ll likely need one of those as well since earlier Shimano ones tended toward their then-proprietary mount. Suggest you disassemble ro determine whether your clamp will work.

Thank you ! Will take a look when I am home from work and see what I am working with and dive in on if it is possible
Old 05-11-24, 09:49 AM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3938 Post(s)
Liked 6,631 Times in 3,281 Posts
Originally Posted by ihm96
None of us would consider Arabesque shifters as "boring." And we all generally like our shifters to match the rest of the group, as yours do.

Instead of focusing on shifters, put your funds into new bar tape (like Fizik)and new tires (like Panaracer Paselas). If you're serious about your hobby, you may want to do like the rest of us and buy tools and fully overhaul the bike yourself. After a full overhaul, it'll ride like it's brand new.

Your misaligned wheel could simply be the wheel itself, not the frame. Check the dish.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-11-24, 10:51 AM
ihm96

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
None of us would consider Arabesque shifters as "boring." And we all generally like our shifters to match the rest of the group, as yours do.

Instead of focusing on shifters, put your funds into new bar tape (like Fizik)and new tires (like Panaracer Paselas). If you're serious about your hobby, you may want to do like the rest of us and buy tools and fully overhaul the bike yourself. After a full overhaul, it'll ride like it's brand new.

Your misaligned wheel could simply be the wheel itself, not the frame. Check the dish.
Thank you for the advice, will definitely check the wheels. Already planning on getting new grip tape asap and learing how to wrap the bars . The tape started peeling up as I was riding the other day since its a bit old. The tires are pretty new, my dad had them put on before he gave it to me 3-4 years ago and theyve barely been ridden. Will have to see what brand they are but they felt pretty good riding around.

The arabesque ones aren't necessarily bad , I just really dig the style of the more colorful options. I do overall like the way they shift while riding

I do want to start to get tools and do more work myself eventually but I think I may pay for the initial tune up to be done at a shop just to make sure everything is kosher and safe and to get me riding regularly and then start to pick up the skills as I find things needing replaced.
Old 05-11-24, 11:26 AM
Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: 1982 Austro Daimler SLE, Eastern Alpaka 29er

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ihm96

Mine look just like these ones.
I am offended......

My boring shifters.
there are a couple of ways you could make these more colorful if you chose to. Does the bike have a full arabesque group or just the shifters?
Likes For Strawbunyan:
Old 05-11-24, 11:57 AM
ihm96

Originally Posted by Strawbunyan
I am offended......

My boring shifters.
there are a couple of ways you could make these more colorful if you chose to. Does the bike have a full arabesque group or just the shifters?
Hahaha no offense intended, after all thats what i have as well. It has the full arabesque group as far as I am aware it is all still original components aside from the tires and grip tape
Old 05-11-24, 12:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Here's some you don't often see. Zeus "Cosmos" retrofriction shift levers:
Likes For JohnDThompson: