Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Quick release disc hub recommendations?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 08:45 PM
trashbiker

Bikes: Lemond Zurich Record 10spd, Klein Quantum Race r7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts

There are the typical suspects like dt swiss, white industries, and hope because they have replaceable endcaps/axles. I'm looking for something more interesting than dt swiss and lighter than WI or Hope. Nice QR disc is tough to find now so interested in used options perhaps. Anything from back in the day a teenager might not know?
Old 05-12-24, 06:26 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 5,707 Times in 2,880 Posts
If you don't get the info you want after a few days you might have this moved to MTB. They would have had a longer run of QR disc than Cross bikes.
Old 05-12-24, 08:08 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1806 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 957 Posts
Extralite, Tune, Enve, Chris King, Bitex, Carbon-Ti There is no shortage of nice hubs out there.

I like Extralite. I have several. Massively cheaper than DT and their heaviest hubs are lighter than the lightest DT. The caveat though is the road hubs have a 1:1 drive ratio restriction. Their mountain and gravel hubs have no restriction. In either case, they require more frequent maintenance than you probably expect. It's not hard. Remove freehub, clean & apply a few drops of oil. Just something to keep in mind.

As with all premium hubs I recommend monoblock cassettes so as to avoid biting the free hub. But, if you absolutely must use cassettes with individual cogs, White Industries with their standard issue titanium free hub is the way to go.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-12-24, 08:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked 11,189 Times in 4,782 Posts
Originally Posted by trashbiker
There are the typical suspects like dt swiss, white industries, and hope because they have replaceable endcaps/axles. I'm looking for something more interesting than dt swiss and lighter than WI or Hope. Nice QR disc is tough to find now so interested in used options perhaps. Anything from back in the day a teenager might not know?
No recommendations for you, but a comment: hub weight is virtually irrelevant to any performance metric, but an unreliable hub can ruin your day. You may find DT Swiss uninteresting (whatever that means, in this context), but they are light enough for all but the most serious weight weenie and very reliable. Ditto White Industries.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-12-24, 09:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
What does 'more interesting' mean?

Anyways, bitex hubs are light, reliable, affordable, and come in many colors if that is what you are looking for. They come in a 135mm QR option.
https://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/bx106f.htm
https://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/bx106r.htm
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-12-24, 09:51 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Anyways, bitex hubs are light, reliable, affordable, and come in many colors if that is what you are looking for. They come in a 135mm QR option.
Interesting link. I notice they list the Bitex QR disc front hubs in various colors but the rear QR disc hub option only appears to be available in black.
Old 05-12-24, 09:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Interesting link. I notice they list the Bitex QR disc front hubs in various colors but the rear QR disc hub option only appears to be available in black.
there are end caps to swap the front hubs and axle swaps for the read hu.
https://www.bikehubstore.com/product...n-cld-axle.htm
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...xoCCoYQAvD_BwE
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...RoCg7QQAvD_BwE

Buying from bikehubstore, you could request that the hubs be set up that way. The store reportedly does a lot of 1off things like that.
Old 05-12-24, 02:58 PM
trashbiker

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

More interesting just means something not everyone has. I see so many dt 240s.
I must be blind because I didn't see they had the rear hub for that set as well. Love bitex. thanks for the link
Old 05-12-24, 03:02 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2280 Post(s)
Liked 3,503 Times in 1,839 Posts
Chris King no longer makes QR disc hubs, sadly.

Industry 9 Torch hubs have optional QR endcaps.

You mentioned WI and DT Swiss, and those are good options. (Not sure what is uninteresting about the latter.)

Onyx Vesper has all options, but it is not considered light. (There are better places to save weight.)
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 05-12-24, 03:45 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked 11,189 Times in 4,782 Posts
I never thought of using bike hubs to express my individuality. When it comes to hubs, I'm looking for smoothness and reliability -- and you see so many DTS 240 hubs because they offer those traits.
Old 05-12-24, 04:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3760 Post(s)
Liked 5,707 Times in 2,880 Posts
The suspense is building! What's the bike that rates "interesting" and extra light hubs?
Old 05-13-24, 08:41 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I must be blind because I didn't see they had the rear hub for that set as well. Love bitex. thanks for the link
Last summer I relaced my wheels to the same Bitex hubs that mstateglfr posted, and I'm very pleased after a couple thousand miles. I ordered them for QR, but also purchased the front end caps and rear axle in case I want to run them on my thru-axle bike (that has DT 240s). I also built up a pair of 29 plus wheels with their fat bike hubs, and those have been holding up in all sorts of crap.
Old 05-15-24, 01:52 PM
trashbiker

Got my eye on a Poprad frame a friend is selling and I'm building it on paper to see if I'll be happy with it before I get it. As for the weight thing, I'm justa bit of a weight weenie. Finally making enough money to buy carbon rims so I want a light hub to go with it.
Likes For trashbiker:
Old 05-15-24, 06:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Got my eye on a Poprad frame a friend is selling and I'm building it on paper to see if I'll be happy with it before I get it. As for the weight thing, I'm justa bit of a weight weenie. Finally making enough money to buy carbon rims so I want a light hub to go with it.
I built a 950-something gram tubeless disc wheel set using Stan's Grail CB7's, Extralite HyperSmart3 front & rear hubs and Berd Spokes. $1200 for rims, $600 for hubs, & $750 for the spokes and the build service.

You aren't going to find a lighter tubeless-disc wheel set at any price. But, you may find a lighter if you can live with tubular and double your budget.

For cassettes, I use Edco Monoblock because I like Shimano compatible free hubs. But you can get XDR if that's your jam.

To save a little dough ($350) over the above wheel set and run 38-60mm tires and add a 90 gram weight penalty you can use We Are One Revive Rims. They come in as many as 32 hole drilling if you'd like an even more robust wheel. I have a 28/32 set made with White Industries XMR hubs (& Berd spokes, again) that clocked in at 1200 grams.

Last edited by base2; 05-15-24 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 06:18 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
SNIP
Extralite, Tune, Enve, Chris King, Bitex, Carbon-Ti There is no shortage of nice hubs out there.

I like Extralite. I have several. Massively cheaper than DT and their heaviest hubs are lighter than the lightest DT. The caveat though is the road hubs have a 1:1 drive ratio restriction.
This noob doesn't understand the how/why of a drive ratio restriction. Can you enlighten me, please?
Old 05-15-24, 06:27 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Columbine, Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

The Exalite website has some interesting stuff. Thanks for the link. They have a "coming soon" vintage section. Can't wait.

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-15-24 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 06:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Originally Posted by PromptCritical
This noob doesn't understand the how/why of a drive ratio restriction. Can you enlighten me, please?
It has to do with transferring the torque from the free hub through the freewheel mechanism to the hub shell whereby the torque tensions the trailing spokes causing wheel rotation.

Under a ratchet/pawl system the torque puts the pawls under compression. Components under compression can withstand a lot of load.

The DT Swiss style mechanism uses 2 toothed faces spring loaded to press against each other (one in the free hub, the other in the hub shell) and while there is as many points of engagement as you'd like, each ratchet ring is keyed into it's respective part of the hub with splines. The torque is transferred via sheer force on the face of the splines instead of compression like the pawl system. Eventually the splines (usually those on the softer aluminium hub shell) gather wear, and that wear is especially accelerated with high forces and if debris/grit is present. Hence the frequency and ease of maintenance requirements, and at least for the road version of the Extralite hub, the drive ratio restriction.

1:1 is still a 50/34 mated to an 11/34 cassette, so it's probably not a big deal on road. But, for gravel, 40 or 42 cassettes mated to much smaller than 34 chainrings are common & would generate much, much more torque. Hence the gravel/mountain specific version with additional splines and multiple ratchet ring assembly clocking options so that the shell can be "worn out" multiple times over and the rings easily and readily replaced with new if maintenance is neglected.

Last edited by base2; 05-15-24 at 07:09 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-15-24, 06:48 PM
PromptCritical 

It has to do with transferring the torque from the free hub through the freewheel mechanism to the hub shell whereby the torque tensions the trailing spokes causing wheel rotation.

Under a ratchet/pawl system the torque puts the pawls under compression. Components under compression can withstand a lot of load.

The DT Swiss style mechanism uses 2 toothed faces spring loaded to press against each other (one in the free hub, the other in the hub shell) and while there is as many points of engagement as you'd like, each ratchet ring is keyed into it's respective part of the hub with splines. The torque is transferred via sheer force instead of compression like the pawl system. Eventually the splines gather wear, especially accelerated with high forces and if debris/grit is present. Hence the frequency and ease of maintenance requirements, and (for the road version) drive restriction.

1:1 is still a 50/34 mated to an 11/34 cassette, so it's probably not a big deal on road. But, for gravel, 40 or 42 cassettes mated to much smaller than 34 chainrings are common & would generate much, much more torque.
Dang, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. I thought it might be torque related. So, an old guy like me need not worry about it, OTOH, probably not a good choice of hubs for a tandem.
Old 05-15-24, 07:06 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Dang, there is a lot of knowledge on this forum. I thought it might be torque related. So, an old guy like me need not worry about it, OTOH, probably not a good choice of hubs for a tandem.
Yeah! Definitely not a good style of mechanism for a tandem...At least in theory. Though many have been used to good effect in tandems for a long time with out issue. I would have zero reservation about a DT Swiss Hub on a tandem. We had a member on here that had a DT "Hügi" on a tandem and used 10's of thousands of miles for almost 2 decades until the hub shell crumbled.

I've always of the mind that if a company puts in a warning limiting a product and potentially limiting is use case (and limiting it's customer base or sell-ability) I tend to think it's for good reason. Hence the mention of the limitations on that one particular hub designed for that one particular (road) use.

Anything can be abused, I guess. The question is always how far, for how long?

Last edited by base2; 05-15-24 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 07:20 PM
PromptCritical 

I built a 950-something gram tubeless disc wheel set using Stan's Grail CB7's, Extralite HyperSmart3 front & rear hubs and Berd Spokes. $1200 for rims, $600 for hubs, & $750 for the spokes and the build service.

You aren't going to find a lighter tubeless-disc wheel set at any price. But, you may find a lighter if you can live with tubular and double your budget.

For cassettes, I use Edco Monoblock because I like Shimano compatible free hubs. But you can get XDR if that's your jam.

To save a little dough ($350) over the above wheel set and run 38-60mm tires and add a 90 gram weight penalty you can use We Are One Revive Rims. They come in as many as 32 hole drilling if you'd like an even more robust wheel. I have a 28/32 set made with White Industries XMR hubs (& Berd spokes, again) that clocked in at 1200 grams.
Wow, what were the specs of the rest of the bike?
Old 05-15-24, 09:04 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Wow, what were the specs of the rest of the bike?
https://www.bikeforums.net/22604309-post23.html

R&E custom frame. Steel. Mostly Tange Prestige, &/or Velo-Spec tubing I think.
The wheels were already mentioned.
Darimo seatpost manufactured for me.
Ax-Lightness saddle & handlebars.
Extralite stem, headset spacers, headset, QR skewers, chainrings & chainring and other misc bolts.
THM Clavicula SE crankset with power meter.
Dura-Ace 9100 shifters & derailleurs.
XTR hydraulic post mount brakes with Carbon-Ti 160/140 rotors.
Whiskey 7 fork.
Connex 11SX stainless steel chain.
GP5000 tires.
Carbon Works bottle cages.

Last edited by base2; 05-15-24 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 10:24 PM
PromptCritical 

https://www.bikeforums.net/22604309-post23.html

R&E custom frame. Steel. Mostly Tange Prestige, &/or Velo-Spec tubing I think.
The wheels were already mentioned.
Darimo seatpost manufactured for me.
Ax-Lightness saddle & handlebars.
Extralite stem, headset spacers, headset, QR skewers, chainrings & chainring and other misc bolts.
THM Clavicula SE crankset with power meter.
Dura-Ace 9100 shifters & derailleurs.
XTR hydraulic post mount brakes with Carbon-Ti 160/140 rotors.
Whiskey 7 fork.
Connex 11SX stainless steel chain.
GP5000 tires.
Carbon Works bottle cages.
Read that thread. Beautiful bike!
Old 05-22-24, 04:57 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 334 Posts
The old school in me thinks an old XT or XTR disc hub would be fun to build around.

Where are you finding carbon rims for the build, though? Even on AliExpress carbon rims are pretty pricey.