Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's your cyclist identity?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What's your cyclist identity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 08:11 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 131 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4872 Post(s)
Liked 4,036 Times in 2,617 Posts
I was a bench warmer in all the sports I had to do in my school days except mediocre in cross-country and 2nd string hockey goalie that played every time #1 got hurt. Summer after college, the president of the Quebec Cyclotourist Club in Montreal told me I was a hill climber and that I should show everybody what I could do on the hill the next day. I put the bike in the gear he told me and put minutes on everyone.

Still a hill climber but now a 70 yo who knows he has to focus on walking or risk injuries as I age. But walking up a 150' vertical in 3 blocks with a 25 pound pack? Fun!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-08-24, 08:49 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
The guy with the old bikes and funky socks <pic snip>
You look like a fun dude who doesn't take himself too seriously, and I love the bike and bike set-up. (except that horrible-nasty handlebar-mounted water bottle!)
I'm too young yet, but it makes me want some more funky socks. (I'm wearing my Art Institute of Chicago black dress socks today, with the green lions)
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 05-08-24, 11:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 768 Posts
Originally Posted by Shortwave
I listen to Peddling Ron’s podcast a lot.

It’s a great show.
Just got off the phone with him. He and another cycling buddy are coming over this weekend for one of our bourbon nights.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-08-24, 05:10 PM
Shortwave

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Diverge E5, 2020 Giant Stance 2, Trek Domane 2 Fixed Gear FTW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Just got off the phone with him. He and another cycling buddy are coming over this weekend for one of our bourbon nights.
That's awesome! Grab some stickers for me!!! (If he has any).
In all seriousness, I really enjoy his podcast, as well as The Bicycle Karma Podcast. Both are great for the bike culture.
Old 05-08-24, 06:21 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 917 Times in 517 Posts
In my racing days, I was a climber and a time trialer. I could out sprint the actually good climbers if they were all that was left at the finish line. I was especially good at gravel before gravel. Things like road races around Boulder county that just happened to have significant dirt roads (given names like Koppenberg and Roubaix of course).

Lately I ride my mountain bike a lot more than the road bike with the gravel in second place.

I haven’t raced seriously in almost 20 years.

I sort of consider myself a roadie because of my history but I’m hardly a roadie anymore.

How about team mechanic for myself, wife, and kids?
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-09-24, 07:51 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Shortwave
That's awesome! Grab some stickers for me!!! (If he has any).
In all seriousness, I really enjoy his podcast, as well as The Bicycle Karma Podcast. Both are great for the bike culture.
Stickers? I don't know what they are. If he has them I'll mail some to you.
Old 05-10-24, 10:07 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
In my racing days, I was a climber and a time trialer. I could out sprint the actually good climbers if they were all that was left at the finish line. I was especially good at gravel before gravel. Things like road races around Boulder county that just happened to have significant dirt roads (given names like Koppenberg and Roubaix of course).

Lately I ride my mountain bike a lot more than the road bike with the gravel in second place.

I sort of consider myself a roadie because of my history but I’m hardly a roadie anymore.

Have you tried a modern endurance road bike? On the 32 mm tires, they are almost as plush as a gravel bike with narrower (38 or 40 mm) tires. And a LOT more efficient over 15 mph than a gravel bike.
Old 05-10-24, 10:12 AM
bruce19

Does a cross bike interest you?
Old 05-10-24, 10:45 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Smaug1
Have you tried a modern endurance road bike? On the 32 mm tires, they are almost as plush as a gravel bike with narrower (38 or 40 mm) tires. And a LOT more efficient over 15 mph than a gravel bike.

The thread is about what you consider yourself. Due to my fairly long history as a roadie, I still think of myself as a roadie.

I barely ever ride a road bike anymore. I ride a gravel bike and mountain bike. I ride them in their appropriate environment. Gravel and single track.

Distracted drivers, relocation to a more off road city, and having fun changing things up are the reasons I do more of these types of things. I never said anything about comfort.

So yeah, I’ll call myself a roadie and won’t ride my road bike more than a few times this summer.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-10-24, 11:03 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,352 Times in 3,945 Posts

I've always been a believer that pretty much any racer doing mass start events should put in work on their sprint, exactly for that reason.

Have you considered doing gravel races? I'm 20 years past my road racing days, and have a history with MTB and CX racing, as well. I've found that gravel races tap into all of those parts of my racing history, and the skills that go with it. The endurance component of gravel racing, however, is a new game for me. I'm really enjoying it.
Old 05-10-24, 03:34 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 672 Posts
Used to race from age 16 to19 before left knee accident, was more a climber than a sprinter . I did three times local MTB trail races back in 2016/2017/2018 and was among the 10 first. Now I enjoy riding the MTBs , the roadies and the hybrid for the pleasures of riding on long distances and seeing landscapes and new towns. But most of the time , I chose to ride the hybrid or the MTBs, the road bikes are only used when the weather is nice and when I know that the roads I am taking have bike lanes.
Likes For georges1:
Old 05-10-24, 04:17 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
A proud recreational cyclist who has no interest in racing or other bike sports. I'm a solitary cyclist who rides for exercise and for a kind of meditation. I don't do group rides since I don't want the pressure "to catch up." Plus, I like to choose my routes depending on my mood. I also like to cycle at my own pace, sometimes fast and sometimes slow. Guess that makes me an antisocial cyclist.
Likes For Ramshackle:
Old 05-10-24, 05:25 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by Eric F
Have you considered doing gravel races? I'm 20 years past my road racing days, and have a history with MTB and CX racing, as well. I've found that gravel races tap into all of those parts of my racing history, and the skills that go with it. The endurance component of gravel racing, however, is a new game for me. I'm really enjoying it.
I’ve done a few. My all time favorite is “The Crippler”. I can’t really be competitive anymore but it really is fun to mix it up for a while before getting dropped.

I did a local gravel race that was part of a larger series last year, just did a shorter (70mile) version and not the stage race. It was fun for 40 miles. After that, it became really apparent that I simply don’t have the time anymore to have the sort of fitness necessary to do events like that. I might have been somewhere in the middle of the finishers but I felt like I barely survived.

I can more than hang with the other dad’s I mountain bike with. I’m solid for a couple hours on the road or gravel bike, and right now, that’s all I can really manage. Right now, I’m more content to suffer alone at my own pace than enter an event just to get smoked.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 05-10-24, 09:53 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,104 Posts
Soloist

I aspire to enjoy riding with other people, but rarely does it work out that way.
​​​​
Old 05-12-24, 06:58 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2768 Post(s)
Liked 2,546 Times in 1,437 Posts
Advanced Slacker.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-12-24, 07:05 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 64 Posts
Father Brown.
Old 05-12-24, 07:30 AM
JonSirrusx4.0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lycra clad, flat bar gravelish, non-conformist
Old 05-12-24, 09:37 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked 5,965 Times in 3,061 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Advanced Slacker.
now the bar has been raised!

Old 05-12-24, 11:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked 8,352 Times in 3,945 Posts
I’ve done a few. My all time favorite is “The Crippler”. I can’t really be competitive anymore but it really is fun to mix it up for a while before getting dropped.

I did a local gravel race that was part of a larger series last year, just did a shorter (70mile) version and not the stage race. It was fun for 40 miles. After that, it became really apparent that I simply don’t have the time anymore to have the sort of fitness necessary to do events like that. I might have been somewhere in the middle of the finishers but I felt like I barely survived.

I can more than hang with the other dad’s I mountain bike with. I’m solid for a couple hours on the road or gravel bike, and right now, that’s all I can really manage. Right now, I’m more content to suffer alone at my own pace than enter an event just to get smoked.
I had to learn how to stop trying to compete or compare myself to a level that was unrealistic for me At this point, for me, gravel races are abut doing the best I can, with the fitness I have, on that day. I'm okay with that. I enjoy the event. I enjoy the post-finish banter where we all talk about our ride - the good, the bad, and the ugly - and no one gives a damn who finished before who. If that minute doesn't work for you, no worries.
Old 05-13-24, 12:16 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 707 Times in 473 Posts
Love this Thread ! Starting 'Liking' a bunch of posts, until I realized I like all of them ! LOL !
Cyclist ID? Depends which me, over any period of time...
I have been a 'roadie' for all of my cycling lifetime, but also expanding a bit to most other types, but no BMX - not a thing when I was young enough to appreciate or be 'it'.
my son was a BMX'r and succeeded in doing a serious spiral fracture... (takes after dad...) now he's a serious mtb'r and teaches dad how to do spectacular Endo's.... LOL!
I guess I'm a roadie, with leanings...
But if Cycling was a dancer, say Ginger Rogers, I'd be Fred Astaire
and if Juliet, I would be Romeo
or simply, the Boy with The Red Balloon.
Ride On
always
Yuri
cycling is poetry - and we each get to write and experience our own

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-13-24 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-13-24, 12:17 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked 1,989 Times in 875 Posts
Me, i identify as the town drunk who still doesn’t know what a watt is

Last edited by jadmt; 05-13-24 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-13-24, 02:53 AM
Gleis

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The other day I was talking to a friend who has been involved in cycling his whole life..He raced locally, was a mechanic, owned an LBS, and worked as a rep for for various cycling entities. He currently has a cycling radio show called Bicycle Talk on UCONN radio at WHUS 91.7. In any event we were talking about types of cyclists like sprinters, climbers and GC racers. I mentioned that I don't have the body and could never be a climber. He is a climber. He said, "You're a lead out man and TT guy." I realized he was on the money. It got me thinking and I realized that those are two things I love about cycling. Just wondering if you know who you are..
I love that your friend's insight helped you recognize your strengths and preferences in cycling! It's great when someone else can provide a perspective that helps us better understand ourselves.. But I don't really know how I am, I do my best
Old 05-28-24, 11:20 PM
jack1111

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The other day I was talking to a friend who has been involved in cycling his whole life..He raced locally, was a mechanic, owned an LBS, and worked as a rep for for various cycling entities. He currently has a cycling radio show called Bicycle Talk on UCONN radio at WHUS 91.7. In any event we were talking about types of cyclists like sprinters, climbers and GC racers. I mentioned that I don't have the body and could never be a climber. He is a climber. He said, "You're a lead out man and TT guy." I realized he was on the money. It got me thinking and I realized that those are two things I love about cycling. Just wondering if you know who you are..
It sounds like you’ve found your niche in cycling! Embracing your strengths as a lead-out man and time trialist is great. Keep enjoying those aspects of the sport you love!
Likes For jack1111:
Old 05-29-24, 07:02 AM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Slow Rider. 10-12 miles a day, 4-5 days a week, average 10 miles an hour. In no hurry and no particular place to go.
Old 05-29-24, 08:53 AM
andydallas

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Last year i was finishing up my ride at White Rock Lake in Dallas, a couple of miles from the end there was a young guy on a beautiful (I think S-Works) bike, pro kit, and MASSIVE TT HELMET. (everything looked brand new) He was off the bike taking selfies,,,,I wanted to bad to see this guy ride and see if he was a really strong rider, or someone that had just opened his credit card up at the bike store,,,,but I didn't wait,,,to this day I wonder what kid of rider he was,,,for me, I'm an old guy, trying to get some decent speed and increasing distance,,,,I'll never be fast or good, but I enjoy it as much as anyone
Likes For andydallas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.