Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Learning bicycle mechanics

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Learning bicycle mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 08:14 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
but often it is looking at how the part is made and thinking about what a reasonable engineer would expect a mechanic to do.
That requires a basic understanding of physical principles that many people seem to lack - bits of geometry and Newtonian physics that make things "obvious" to some, and totally obscure to others.
Old 05-13-24, 09:46 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
For more advanced and proprietary stuff…

I believe Trek shop mechanics (probably not the guy that gets $15 to assemble an entry level bike, but a higher level wrench) will get factory training on how to service the isostrut on the supercaliber.

For us home wrenches, YouTube is a big resource. Having time and the courage to screw up something expensive also helps. 😀

In my neck of the woods, the chain shops may focus all their shock services in one location. No need for every location in a metro area to be experts on shock/fork service. That’s a good indicator (to me) that I don’t want to invest the time or tools to do that.
Old 05-13-24, 10:12 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
I'm all self-taught, and I would recommend that for working on your own bikes, the plethora of helpful videos online helps, I would look on Park Tool first, and Youtube second.

If I were seeking a career as a bike mechanic, I would take formal courses, due to the *vastly* increased variety of designs and complexity, and I have a degree in engineering and 50 years experience working on my own bikes, but for new stuff, there is tons I don't know. I know there are schools available, a local bike shop mentions in their job postings, United Bicycle Institute, and Barnett Bicycle Institute as a basis, but they are only two-week courses and not required for an apprenticeship at their shop. Just off the top of my head I can think of very distinct segments:
- The basics: Bearings, brakes, cables, hydraulics, wheelbuilding and truing, tires tubed and tubeless, racks, accessories, fitting of rider, heavy-touring setup for stability, safety recommendations, and basic bike shop operations.
- Internal Gear Hubs and Pinion transmissions.
- Electric bike drivetrains and controls.
- Framebuilding and service, each type of frame a course in itself; Lugged and brazed steel, welded steel, welded aluminum, carbon-fiber-composite, welded titanium.
- Frame stripping and painting.
Wheel building and bike fit aren't basics, they're extra credit like IGH and e-bikes. Frame prep i.e. facing/reaming/tapping where necessary is a mechanic's job, but you'd hope the builder had done it - all other frame work belongs to framebuilders not mechanics. Except maybe finishing - you don't have to be a frame builder or mechanic to be a painter, and frame builders and mechanics don't need to be painters. Not sure about frame alignment, some mechanics do it but should we expect them to go beyond checking it?
Old 05-13-24, 10:51 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpus
Wheel building and bike fit aren't basics, they're extra credit like IGH and e-bikes. Frame prep i.e. facing/reaming/tapping where necessary is a mechanic's job, but you'd hope the builder had done it - all other frame work belongs to framebuilders not mechanics. Except maybe finishing - you don't have to be a frame builder or mechanic to be a painter, and frame builders and mechanics don't need to be painters. Not sure about frame alignment, some mechanics do it but should we expect them to go beyond checking it?
I don't doubt any of the above, like I said, I'm not a pro. Bike fit I'm surprised, that I think it would be included with any bike purchase (and for correct frame sizing of bike to be purchased), but that's probably a basic fit and not race or tour quality fit. Wheelbuilding, I suppose there is sufficient variety to warrant that these days. My first wheelbuild as a teen didn't even have a truing stand, just used the frame and fork to true, but took things slow, and ended up with great wheels. But now, everything from composite rims to PBO synthetic spokes to tubeless tires, and it can get specialized in a hurry.

Car engine basic service used to be simple, and heck, I was an engineer in industry. Now, I need the big manual or youtube to simply replace a distributor (and now all cars don't even have those), to find the hidden terminal to shunt the PCM to not advance timing so I can set "base" timing, and even to find the timing marks, they are that hidden. On the plus side, a new distributer with cap and rotor was $80 on amazon, versus $400 at the local auto parts store.
Old 05-15-24, 09:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2379 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,589 Posts
check to see if there is a park tool school near you https://www.parktool.com/en-us/park-tool-school