Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

CF bike on a service stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

CF bike on a service stand

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-24, 11:22 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 795 Posts
Yeah, I put black electrical tape on all of our seat posts routinely. It's just automatic once the height is set properly.
Old 05-14-24, 05:48 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1014 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 428 Posts
I kinda like the idea of modifying the stand, to shorten the "grip length" thus no need to move his post. For simple day-to-day stuff, I use a cheap Aldi/Lidl stand, it works better than I would have expected. Almost worthwhile to have a second stand for messing with "moderns".

Originally Posted by Camilo
You're going to buy a new repair stand, not for your bikes, but for a friend's? Whew.
Plus, there are a lot of tools that are correct for my vintage bikes, but are useless on a 21st Century bike. Press-in bottom brackets? Disc brakes, DI2? I haven't a clue (And I've been meaning to invest in books on working on modern bikes, too)!

Old 05-14-24, 06:10 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 503 Posts
+1 on the EVT clamp, it can even plug right into a Park stand.
Old 05-14-24, 02:24 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by letrebici
....s a TopTube Cross-bar Adapter which connects from seat post to stem. That adapter bar could be clamped in the bike stand jaws in a horizontal orientation. These adapters seem to be from $30-50
Yup. This is exactly what I use on my Trek Y-Foil, which doesn't have enough seatpost showing, AND also doesn't have much extra length because the seatpost is chopped short flush with the bottom opening of the Y-Foil frame
Just make sure you get the kind that has a quick release clamp to clamp the bar at a certain length. Do not get the kind that just lets the bar telescope in and out freely. That kind is garbage. This is the one I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&th=1&psc=1

Originally Posted by Camilo
You can also just hang the bike from the nose of the saddle and if you are just a bit careful, can do shifting and brake adjustments easily.
just resist the temptation to lightly clamp down on the front of the saddle with the work clamp. On one of my bikes I used to do that. After I did that a few times, the front of the saddle rails developed a squeek.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
..... I know I'll get crap for this, but I'll just clamp the top tube if the post is something weird. Can't/wouldn't do it with ultra light aluminum but with carbon it has never been an issue, just don't be an idiot in how you do it. ...
The great danger is not crushing the tube. You'd really have to be an idiot to do that. The great danger is you backing or knocking into the bike while it's clamped- The clamp will rub on the decals and destroy the decals. Ask me how I know. Not worth taking this risk.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-15-24, 06:35 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3623 Post(s)
Liked 3,047 Times in 1,843 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The great danger is you backing or knocking into the bike while it's clamped- The clamp will rub on the decals and destroy the decals. Ask me how I know. Not worth taking this risk.
You fell into your bike while it was in a repair stand? Who does that?
Old 05-15-24, 08:46 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1630 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
You fell into your bike while it was in a repair stand? Who does that?
I backed into the bike. Easy to do when you are bending down and picking up stuff, setting down stuffs, moving other bikes out of the way etc. Easy to do when you have a narrow work space in a tight garage space.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 05-15-24, 10:34 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
I can't recommend the Hirobel Frame Clamp enough. While it is a very safe way to hold a carbon frame, it's just plain easier than farting around clamping a seat post for any bike. I rarely even need to strap the bike down. Just lift the bike, set in on and done. It's perfect for normal frame shapes. Doesn't work for my wife's step through frame though, you do need a top tube.
Added that to my repair stuff because I added two CF bikes to the fleet, one of which has a D-profile CF seatpost that really doesn't take to clamping, so I was doing everything with the bike sitting on the ground. That got old.

It can be fussy to attach, depending on the frame, but does its job.
Old 05-16-24, 01:52 PM
greysquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I just hang my bike from the nose of the saddle from a a work stand.
Likes For greysquirrel: