Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fenders/tire suggestions for mid-2000s Trek 520

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-24, 04:00 PM
danko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,

Recently finished a frame-up resto-mod of a Trek 520 from around 2005 or so. I'm looking for suggestions for full coverage fenders for the bike.

The issue is that the front fork doesn't have a ton of space. See picture.

There's about 35mm of space between the fork legs at the top of the tire. It's a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35C tire (measures ~34.5mm) and ideally the fender would be about 1cm wider.

Different tire? Go down to a 32mm? Cut the sides of the fender? Some combo of the above?
Thanks
Old 05-06-24, 05:28 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5932 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,580 Posts
Buy a close but no cigar set of fenders. Carefully notch the sides to clear the fork. Then use a rat tail file on the mounting tab so you can pull the fender up against the crown.

Another option is to ignore the mounting tab entirely. Fit an expander plug up into the bottom of the steerer. Then drill a hole into the fender and use the plug's screw to mount the fender.

Or shop around, hope for the best, and (maybe) use a smaller tire.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-06-24 at 09:11 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 05-07-24, 10:39 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 353 Posts
Bontrager (Trek) has a fender set for 700c x 32-35 mm tires. You might still have to notch them to get around the fork crown and rear stay bridges on your bike. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...llowvisibility
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 05-08-24, 12:15 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 70 Posts
If you want to maximize tire clearance, consider swapping the fork. A Surly Cross-Check fork fits 700x41 with fenders.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 05-08-24, 01:24 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 1,103 Times in 770 Posts
There are/were a couple mfrs that made fenders that were cut into two pieces and joined by a metal bracket that allowed them to be raised above the fork and rear stay mounting points for tight fitting tires. I think GIANT made one but can't find it in my short search. You could also fabricate your own setup like this for standard fenders. This SKS version is close to what I'm talking about but I know the OP wants one with stays for braze-on eyelets and wider. Gives you an idea of how to make your own brackets though. RACEBLADE LONG SET - SKS GERMANY (sks-germany.com)
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-15-24, 01:22 PM
danko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great suggestions guys, I'll see if I can track down the Bontrager fenders and notch them if needed. I might also go down to a 32 but don't want to go much smaller than that.

Swapping forks is a good idea too but I'll leave that as a last resort if nothing else will work.
Old 05-16-24, 06:20 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by danko
Hey,

Recently finished a frame-up resto-mod of a Trek 520 from around 2005 or so. I'm looking for suggestions for full coverage fenders for the bike.

The issue is that the front fork doesn't have a ton of space. See picture.

There's about 35mm of space between the fork legs at the top of the tire. It's a Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35C tire (measures ~34.5mm) and ideally the fender would be about 1cm wider
That looks like loads of space to me. The fender doesn't need to be wider than the tyre, water flings off towards the centre of the tread, so that's where you need cover. As long as the tyre fits between the fender stays without rubbing it will be fine.