Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sturmey-Archer parts - bearing cage

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-24, 05:50 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 58 Posts

I have also posted this to the vintage forum.

I was gifted a Royal Scot (made by Raleigh?) 3-speed and it immediately became my favorite city bike. I added a bit of gear oil and it started acting up. I was hearing some grinding on one ride, but it went away. Later it got a little wobbly and I had problems with adjusting the bearing play. Pulling it apart today, the bearing cage is obviously trashed. Normally I would eliminate the cage, but without it the bearings fall into the hub. This is a cup design issue/feature, as far as I can tell. Are these cages available anywhere?

Here's my exploded view. Can anyone comment on the sequence. I tried to lay them out in order but quickly mixed them up. I have an online exploded view, but the parts aren't the same as mine, close, but not the same.

Last edited by sunburst; 05-15-24 at 06:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 05-15-24, 09:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked 1,887 Times in 1,091 Posts
The Sturmey-Archer K67Z "Ball Cage with 8 Balls" tracks to HSA103 which tracks to HSA284. I see HSA284 is available from multiple vendors.

You can use 10 loose balls; stick 'em in with a hydrophobic LMGI #2 grease for assembly.

Last edited by tcs; 05-16-24 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 05-16-24, 12:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 3,422 Times in 2,071 Posts
Your hub is more likely a AW (Always works) not SW (Seldom Works). Look on the hub shell.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-4-aw.pdf
Old 05-16-24, 04:09 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Originally Posted by dedhed
Your hub is more likely a AW (Always works) not SW (Seldom Works). Look on the hub shell.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-4-aw.pdf

you are right, it is a 1974 AW, but both the SW and AW drawings are missing those big rings in my photo, which I will call dust caps for now.

Last edited by sunburst; 05-16-24 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-16-24, 04:12 PM
sunburst

Originally Posted by tcs
The Sturmey-Archer K67Z "Ball Cage with 8 Balls" tracks to HSA103 which tracks to HSA284. I see HSA284 is available from multiple vendors.

You can use 10 loose balls; stick 'em in with a hydrophobic LMGI #2 grease for assembly.
I will try the loose balls first. I'm used to that from my French bikes. Due to my generally poor visualization skills, I saw the cone pushing the bearings down into the hub, rather than against the cup.
Likes For sunburst:
Old 05-16-24, 08:48 PM
sunburst

Originally Posted by tcs

fixed it with the loose bearings. Thanks for that suggestion. Got all the parts back in the right order too. The two dust caps(?) fit together in a way I wasn't expecting. Took it for a ride, the bike and the wheel feel great.

FYI: someone on the vintage forum pointed me to this Seattle source for parts. Sturmey-Archerparts.com

Old 05-16-24, 09:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5937 Post(s)
Liked 2,837 Times in 1,583 Posts
Brings back memories.

Sold tons of these back in the late sixties/early seventies.

In any case, it's easy to build these hubs with loose balls. I used a temporary plug while I "glued" the balls into place with stiff grease, then removed the plug and screwed the cone home.

Otherwise, I suspect you can still find the retainer if you prefer.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-16-24 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-17-24, 03:52 AM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 534 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by sunburst
FYI: someone on the vintage forum pointed me to this Seattle source for parts. Sturmey-Archerparts.com
As I suspected the moment you said Seattle, that's Aaron's Bike Repair/Rat City Bikes, they specialize in repair of internal gear hubs of all kinds. I would have been shocked if there were *two* shops in town that repaired or had parts for IGHs.